Vuelta re-sits for?

Comments

• Geraint going to do the Vuelta, too.

MUCH more interesting
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Good.

Will Froome ride for G? I don't think so. I think Froome wants this one and a future Giro.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Could be a good Vuelta!

Another 3 weeks of non-productivity...
  • Good.

Will Froome ride for G? I don't think so. I think Froome wants this one and a future Giro.

Cant see him riding for anyone.

As Rich said in a previous post, Sky's team to support him will be a scratch one, not one that they've lovingly planned and built up over the previous 6 months as they do with the Tour.

G's never done two GTs in one year, and on top of a very busy Jan-Apr, this is unknown territory for him. He may be like Porte was in the 2013 Vuelta - too fatigued to be much use for most of the race. Be interesting to see, anyway.

IF Movistar learn their lesson from the Tour, and IF Nibz, Aru and Landa can put down their manbags for the 3 weeks, those 2 teams alone could - no. SHOULD - give Froome and Sky a lot of problems.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    i don't think froome will be contender for this. i expect him to finish top 5 but not really challenge. he just looked too tired at the end of the tour.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Not sure what Froome and Sky gain from this. If he doesn't win (or at least get on the podium) there may be a couple of upset second string GT riders at the team who felt they should have been given their chance and could have done as well if not better. If Froome does win it will further inflame all the doping afficienados who will see his ability to recover so soon as ultimate proof (whilst ignoring anything Quintana, Valverde or Nibs manage). G looked out on his feet for the last few days of the Tour so I'm really surprised to see him there.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Froome probably thought it a good opportunity bearing in mind all of his main rivals were at the tour and rode through to the end. If say Qunitana or Nibs had of crashed out in the first week and would be going into the Vuelta fresh he wouldn't have bothered.

Having sad that I can see another Cobo/Horner situation though....
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Pozzovivo to come in fresh and do a Cobo/horner and kill it.

The fact that his odds are going out with all the major turf accountants only proves that I am right.

True fact.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pozzovivo to come in fresh and do a Cobo/horner and kill it.

The fact that his odds are going out with all the major turf accountants only proves that I am right.

True fact.

All aboard the Pozzerwagon
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

True fact.
    I think he's a big threat. 'Lightly raced' as they say in horse racing circles. I also think Van Garderen will be a major player.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Not sure what Froome and Sky gain from this. If he doesn't win (or at least get on the podium) there may be a couple of upset second string GT riders at the team who felt they should have been given their chance and could have done as well if not better. If Froome does win it will further inflame all the doping afficienados who will see his ability to recover so soon as ultimate proof (whilst ignoring anything Quintana, Valverde or Nibs manage). G looked out on his feet for the last few days of the Tour so I'm really surprised to see him there.
    For Froome and Sky the Vuelta is the first chapter of the preparations for the 2016 Tour. If he's in with a chance of a win then that's a bonus.

As for second string riders - who? Porte's leaving, Konig has done two GTs and Henao will probably be allowed to ride his own race, initially at least. Then who? Potentially Thomas, Poels, Roche or Nieve. Pick one and give them a little freedom too. That still leaves six more riders.
    I doubt you'll see Sky on the front controlling the race until late in the race if Froome is in contention.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

It seems to have become accepted that doing the Vuelta sets the Tour contenders up for the next year best. I suspect that Sky are more interested in the TdF2016 than genuinely going for the win
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Oh balls, Nairo's supposed to be riding in support of Piti, isnt he :(

Unless Piti has a mare... :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Quintana...

Cavendish, because it looks like autumn is on his way for him

Cav became a father for the second time in October 2013 having won a stage in the Tour that year. Drew a blank last year and won one stage this year. Any coincidence?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    For Froome and Sky the Vuelta is the first chapter of the preparations for the 2016 Tour. If he's in with a chance of a win then that's a bonus.

As for second string riders - who? Porte's leaving, Konig has done two GTs and Henao will probably be allowed to ride his own race, initially at least. Then who? Potentially Thomas, Poels, Roche or Nieve. Pick one and give them a little freedom too. That still leaves six more riders.
    I doubt you'll see Sky on the front controlling the race until late in the race if Froome is in contention.

Well I am going to remain thinking he is there to win. Not only are the years catching up with him but proper champions dont come to the Vuelta to train for the Tour - how sad would that be.

Sky have never cared for the Vuelta or Giro I know. Typically Froome is not on ET mode at the Vuelta so I dont expect him to win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pozzovivo to come in fresh and do a Cobo/horner and kill it.

True fact.
    I think he's a big threat. 'Lightly raced' as they say in horse racing circles. I also think Van Garderen will be a major player.

I was mulling over Van Garderen's chances earlier and came to the same conclusion.
    Then had second thoughts given that he abandoned half way through stage 17, which was quite deep into the Tour.
    How much conserved form are 3 and a bit Alpine stages worth? I haven't the foggiest.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

True fact.

Funnily enough, I have a small e/w bet on him too. Though that is only because he's 33s with PP which seems a nice price. If he is in decent shape he could do well, but he went quite deep into the Tour so that is far from certain.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • i don't think froome will be contender for this. i expect him to finish top 5 but not really challenge. he just looked too tired at the end of the tour.

Tough to say really at this stage in the season. He did look jaded but whether that was down to fatigue or illness or a combination of both its hard to say. He certainly sounded very confident going into the final week. If it was predominantly a chest/illness issue then physically he should have recovered pretty well for the Vuelta. Nibali, Quintana and Valverde have all ridden the tour too. Landa and Aru will be a real threat but I guess the 39k TT is appealing to Froome and the last week isn't nearly as viscous as it could be, so staying in contact until the TT could be key. Someone also mentioned about Sky placing emphasis one the Vuelta to set up the 2016 season.

I'm just looking forward to a great race without some of the hoopla and hysteria of the tour. The Astana Molotov cocktail of Aru, Nibali and Landa could get interesting! I'd imagine Sky and Froome are probably also looking forward to a little less barracking and a bit more support from the tifosi, lol
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    i don't think froome will be contender for this. i expect him to finish top 5 but not really challenge. he just looked too tired at the end of the tour.

Tough...season.

I'm just looking forward to a great race without some of the hoopla and hysteria of the tour. The Astana Molotov cocktail of Aru, Nibali and Landa could get interesting! I'd imagine Sky and Froome are probably also looking forward to a little less barracking and a bit more support from the tifosi, lol

Although happy for Froome especially with the backdrop he faced, the TdF was a bit of a damp squib for me. Here's hoping the Vuelta is as good as the Giro.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Good to hear Chris Froome attempting the double, the more GCs the merrier for the race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Hey BigBean...

finance.jpg
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffc04.deviantart.net%2Ffs70%2Fi%2F2012%2F308%2F5%2F7%2Fnot_listening_by_fizzyizzy417-d5jy871.png&sp=5bb51487f23d996db606b36556ddf5a9
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214

It seems to have become accepted that doing the Vuelta sets the Tour contenders up for the next year best. I suspect that Sky are more interested in the TdF2016 than genuinely going for the win

I keep hearing this...but why is that so?
  • ddraver
    No idea...I'm a geologist not a sports scientist.

I guess it's about going into the base training part of the year at full capacity so effectively you do enough to maintain that through the winter then improve on it next spring rather that lose capacity and then spend months getting back to top form rather than improving
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

I keep hearing this...but why is that so?

It just stems from something the sports scientists at Sky came up with rather than a commonly accepted way of doing things. You can be sure real racers like Valverde, Contador, JRod, Quintana et al don't go there to train for the Tour. It's complete BS.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    commonly accepted = wrong
    - @ddraver
  • No idea...I'm a geologist not a sports scientist.

what you said isn't set in stone
  • Jurgen VanD B must e hoping for a top 10

Betancur....time for the comeback. Mikeal Cherel in that team is going well to
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    It just stems from something the sports scientists at Sky came up with rather than a commonly accepted way of doing things. You can be sure real racers like Valverde, Contador, JRod, Quintana et al don't go there to train for the Tour. It's complete BS.

Real Racer Contador has already got his slippers on for the rest of the season; terrible news for cycling fans globally.
  • [/quote]

It just stems from something the sports scientists at Sky came up with rather than a commonly accepted way of doing things. You can be sure real racers like Valverde, Contador, JRod, Quintana et al don't go there to train for the Tour. It's complete BS.[/quote]

Sky must be doing something right...how many TdFs have that quartet won in the last 5 years? Valverde and JRod are not realistic GC candidates anyway. Other things that the Sky sports scientists came up with, like Teide training camps for example, have been adopted by other teams, including Tinkoff. Doing things the commonly accepted way does not move anything forward.