Badly kept bridleways.

TallGaz79
TallGaz79 Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in MTB general
Who loves natural downhills, especially when its on a single track and on land which you are allowed to be on?
All of us. Well here`s the thing, making up a route last weekend and in the end I winged it and went on a route I hadn't been on before, but I knew the end result was a piece of singletrack which is downhill and would take me straight to my house, bonus. Got to the top of my chosen route, it had been all opened up by the local farmers who are currently cutting grass in the fields and putting the cows out, so off I go over this massively bumpy tractor battered ground, great actually but very poo covered but with a bonus of no nettles.
When I reach the bottom I find my path blocked by not the original bridleway gate but a massive metal double farm gate with barbwire on it and on the other side a huge maze of nettles and thorny bushes which must have been left to grow for years, so the last 800yds or so were impossible, so I road all the way back up, as there were live stock in the fields with no other way down. Who technically is responsible for keeping these old byways open and clear as farmers/ landowners don`t seem to give a hoot? My next port of call is the council as these old routes are used by everyone and the mess they seem to be left in is terrible, I think here in Powys we might end up loosing these rights of way unless they get the maintenance they deserve. This is only one route of about 6 tracks that I have found that are impassible even in winter time. Fingers crossed I can find someone with enough clout in the highways dept to do something to help keep these open in Powys wales as some of them are brilliant pieces of track, all for the love of MTB.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Peculiar first post.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No-one is responsible for keeping them, clear, they are a right of way, the landowner cannot obstruct it (gates are allowed on bridleways, styles on footpaths as they can be 'negoitated') but they are under no obligation to maintain them, nettles etc overgrowing it, take some shears and open it up for all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    "A landholder is responsible for keeping public bridleways or byways free from overhanging vegetation, from encroachment or obstruction, from crops and for ensuring gates are convenient to use. A highway authority is usually responsible for the surface, including natural vegetation (not a crop) growing from it, and for the way being clearly marked and available."

http://www.bhs.org.uk/access-and-bridleways/bridleways-and-routes-faq
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • No-one is responsible for keeping them, clear, they are a right of way, the landowner cannot obstruct it (gates are allowed on bridleways, styles on footpaths as they can be 'negoitated') but they are under no obligation to maintain them, nettles etc overgrowing it, take some shears and open it up for all!

Not entirely true. They have an obligation to keep them clear and passable.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    No-one is responsible for keeping them, clear, they are a right of way, the landowner cannot obstruct it (gates are allowed on bridleways, styles on footpaths as they can be 'negoitated') but they are under no obligation to maintain them, nettles etc overgrowing it, take some shears and open it up for all!

Not entirely true. They have an obligation to keep them clear and passable.
    Absolutely, it's up to the landowner. I've known people get reprimanded for maintaining footpaths themselves because the landowners can't be bothered. Though I do it occasionally.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • It's also important to use these rights of ways.

A common tactic by landowners is to let the path fall into disrepair meaning people don't use it. Then, once they see people are not using it they wait (I forget the amount of time, but it might be as little as a year) and then apply for a change of use, or whatever the technical term is, and the path is removed.

It's a bit of a lottery how it is done, and I imagine every council does it slightly different.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This is the place to get in touch with, they might take some action, http://www.rightsofway.org.uk/bridleway-groups/
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Most local councils have one or more Rights of Way officers - report obstructed or badly kept bridleways to them and they are supposed to go and check them out and request the landowner to make the ROW fit for use. Whether the ROW officers still exist, have any teeth and aren't swamped in paperwork is up for debate.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Personally I think I'd just stealthily clear a path my self, if there's a bit or wood or fallen branch about 3 to five feet long lying around, just chuck it into the vegetation and press it down with your foot to flatten a path through. Jobs a guddun!
  • Mister_g
    Mister_g Posts: 55
    Are you sure it's a bridleway? If so, report it:

email: rightsofway@powys.gov.uk
    Phone: 01597 827500
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    these old routes are used by everyone and the mess they seem to be left in is terrible

This seems to be the crux of the matter doesn't it, no one is using it or it wouldn't have fallen into disrepair, then no one can use it because it's almost impassible.

I've discovered some great trails around me but they're so little used that are only rideable in winter, in spring and summer they are just too overgrown with brambles & nettles, I've learned the hard way not to bother.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    these old routes are used by everyone and the mess they seem to be left in is terrible

This seems to be the crux of the matter doesn't it, no one is using it or it wouldn't have fallen into disrepair, then no one can use it because it's almost impassible.

I've discovered some great trails around me but they're so little used that are only rideable in winter, in spring and summer they are just too overgrown with brambles & nettles, I've learned the hard way not to bother.

I could go into the history of rights of way in the UK and how, relatively speaking, you have it good compared to Canada but I wont. Rights of Way are the responsibility of the land owner, enforced by the local council - make one do the job by telling the other. If you dont you lose it and everyone suffers.

Either that or get out there and ride it and make it something worth keeping.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thanks to you all for your input, and yes it was my first post on here, but I don`t get much time between work, family life and jumping on my mountain bike to sit at a computer, griping, I just wanted to see if the good old mountain biker was still doing what we were all doing 20 years ago, cleaning up other people`s mess on the trails, bridleways other rights of way, or was there perhaps a group that would now sort out some of these rogue land owners who just demolish these old rights of way and then there lost 4ever.
    Judging by everybody`s input I`ll do what I did years ago, ride it, open it up and keep it clear as it is clearly marked as a current bridleway on the latest OS map.
    Thanks again to everyone who put there bit in, you mountain bikers are the best.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Thanks to you all for your input, and yes it was my first post on here, but I don`t get much time between work, family life and jumping on my mountain bike to sit at a computer, griping, I just wanted to see if the good old mountain biker was still doing what we were all doing 20 years ago, cleaning up other people`s mess on the trails, bridleways other rights of way, or was there perhaps a group that would now sort out some of these rogue land owners who just demolish these old rights of way and then there lost 4ever.
    Judging by everybody`s input I`ll do what I did years ago, ride it, open it up and keep it clear as it is clearly marked as a current bridleway on the latest OS map.
    Thanks again to everyone who put there bit in, you mountain bikers are the best.

Good luck with that. I'd ensure that you report the gate change to the council so they have it on record.

I actually volunteer with my local council 3 days a year to go clear the ROW paths/cycle routes around me, as this shows I'm willing to help, and it gives me a way into the council's dealings. If you put a sign up near the path, asking for additional volunteers, you may get a few

Yes, it's more of your time out away from your family ( unless you get them to help), but at least your not griping in front of your PC :)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Okarnill
    Okarnill Posts: 20
    Our local rights of way officer at the council is pretty good - they've managed to order some gates removed and upkeep of the routes around here pretty well, but we are right on the border between two council areas and the second one - well you might as well ask for the moon! I got well impaled on my last route which was off my normal riding, got to the stage where I would have loved to levitate out of there lol. Brambles, thick ones, either go on or go back but either way I was going to be cut to pieces.

Check and ordnance survey map to make sure the route is still bridleway (they sneakily shut them if they're not used, around here we had to have organised horse rides to keep some open since one farmer is known to be anti access - right of way or not, I ride it on both horse and bike now) If the route is definitely still a bridleway then contact your Rights of Way officer at the council, and basicaly pester them until something is done unless you want to do it yourself. The good council here has a Volunteers group of which I am part where we go out and clear access for areas where the landowner for whatever reason does not. Not all councils are like that tho :(

ROW for the British Horse Society also might be able to help since it IS bridleway. Often they have a reasonably good relationship with the council ROW and can work together.

Good luck
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    The other problem is that few people actually go out and walk, cycle anymore. So many people are lazy buggers who sit at home watching endless utter shyte on TV, playing on their smart phones and griping on the internet. Kids? what are 'kids' anymore??

"Back in mmmyyyy day........"
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The other problem is that few people actually go out and walk, cycle anymore. So many people are lazy buggers who sit at home watching endless utter shyte on TV, playing on their smart phones and griping on the internet. Kids? what are 'kids' anymore??

"Back in mmmyyyy day........"

The average Canadian child spends 8 minutes a day outside and over 6 hours a day in front of a TV/computer/mobile device. I assume this is typical of most developed nations.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Angus Young is not a Canadian, he's Australian.

(Although I believe ours may be a fake.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The average Canadian child spends 8 minutes a day outside

Aye cos in Canada if you spend 9 minutes outside you freeze to death - fact ;)
  • Well they have extreme temperatures in Oz so in the interests of impartiality I reckon I'm on solid ground :mrgreen:
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    I've always said the amount of unrideable bridleways and rideable footpaths is comparable....
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

Strictly speaking, he's Scottish.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad

Strictly speaking, he's Scottish.
    Yep but they got out PDQ.

And ours is still a fake.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools