Will the bike fit in the car?

GedM
GedM Posts: 10
edited August 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Newbie here who's just bought his first MTB. I pick it up tomorrow from decathalon, but I've just realised that it might not fit in the car...

I'll be trying to get it home in a BMW 3 series coupe. Do you think it'll fit?
I don't wanna have to buy a cheapo bike rack just to get it home as I plan on getting a proper tow bar one in the coming weeks.

Thanks

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I carry my 29er hardtail in my fiesta. Just take the wheels off and it'll probably go in ok.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • GedM
    Yeah, taking the wheel off will hopefully help. I'd better do some reading on how the rear wheel comes off so I don't look like a pillock in the shop.

A fiesta is probably better suited due to it being a hatch. The boot on the Coupe is turd for carrying bigish things because they've got to get under the rear screen. It's a 2 door as well, so I'm not even sure if it'd fit in the back.

Fallen at the first hurdle....
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Both wheels off, the slide the frame in. Once that's in just fit the wheels in somewhere.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • GedM
    I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tips :)
  • Don't touch brakes with wheels out.
  • GedM
    Don't touch brakes with wheels out.

I'm guessing the pistons will pop out?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Nope, but you won't get the wheel in as the pads will have closed together. Put a bit of cardboard between them or even better ask the shop for a couple of plastic spacers.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Might be worth taking something to cover the chain and cassettes. Keep the oil off your seats.
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    They should supply the spacers with the bike - don't forget to ask for them as they didn't come in the bag when I picked up my wife's RR 520.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Having watched my mate get his bike into his wife's Toyota Aygo last Friday I don't think you've got any issues.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Comparing a booted car without folding rear seats to a hatch with for access is a bit daft......

Wheels off, both front seats forward, put it across the car between the front and rear seats, wheels in either the passenger footwell or on the back seat. Take something to sit the chain on!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Front wheel off and my Kona fits on the back seat of my Fiesta with the front passenger seat pushed forward.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My mate bought a BMW 745i last year. Huge car, massive compared to my mondeo but due to the welded rear bulkhead it's impossible to get a bike in the boot even with wheels off. It has to go on the back seat. A year on we still laugh at him until he disappears in a cloud of tyre smoke and lots of V8 noise.
    Does your back seat fold down?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As he was picking it up last week it either fitted or it didn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • GedM
    It did go in, but it was a very tight squeeze....
    The seats do fold down, but as mentioned, the rear bulkhead makes it impossible to get anything large in there. I had to take both wheels off and throw them in the boot. the bike then had to be navigated (upside down) past the front seat (it's a 2 door) and onto the back seat.
    Once I'd go the doors shut I was expecting a crazy bald guy to show up and a crystal to pop out of the exhaust...

Anyway, got the bike home and spent all weekend arsing around up rivington. Loved it!!

Cheers guys :)