London to Brighton off road training

Sophia88
Sophia88 Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Routes
HI,

Newbie here, just looking for some advice re the above. I am looking for a route within hampshire area that would be of similar grade hill to the dreaded Ditchling Beacon off road hill. I have made it my mission to get to the top as heard that its hard. So looking for grade 4/3 hills, any advise?

Thanks,

Sophia

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Can you even do the beacon off road?

Just get the miles in. Any hill you find is good enough, just repeat.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Not quite Hampshire but Butser Hill just past Petersfield or com g back a bit closer you have some climbs around Devils Punchbowl in Hindhead.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Butser Hill will be far harder. I did the SDW last week, and didn't find Ditchling Beacon a problem at all to be honest.
  • Sophia88
    Sophia88 Posts: 3
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think its the off road version of the ditchling beacon, not many people seem to make it up. I have family saying that i will never make it up, so i have too now!

:lol:
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Is this the BHF organised ride you are doing? The one in September?

Did this back in 2011, planning on doing it again this year as it is a great day out.

If the route is the same every year then the hill you are talking about is Thundersbarrow Hill. The climb starts just outside the village of Bamber and yes, is basically the off road Ditchling Beacon. Don't forget you'll be crossing both the North and South Downs on this ride!

Personally I didn't make it up the hill, but don't worry if you don't - you'll be in good company! One of my mates who rode this with me made it all the way up in one go but he weighs about 9 stone and is a machine.

I didn't see many people cycling up it; its too late in the day. Its within the last 10 miles of a 75 mile ride. I may've got up it if it were early on in the route but legs were cramping by then.

TBH I'm the stage in life whereby I've learnt a grinding climb like is never really worth the effort. You're only really going to be cycling up at walking pace anyway.

Learnt that lesson on the Wiggle South Downs Epic last year, rode up all the hills but my legs didn't thank me for it and kept reminding me of their displeasure for the next few weeks!

But then again, if you're hellbent on riding up it, wouldn't hurt to take in SDW sections. Wouldnt have said its as steep at the Butser SDW climb heading west. Riding from QECP out to Cocking has a few nasty climbs with similar gradients and surfaces.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Just seen this as I'm doing the ride on Saturday with my 17 year old son and his mate. That is a steep climb and quite rocky so it's hard to keep going. Just get in a low gear and keep plugging away and you will get up it, I've done it before. But you won't be moving much faster than those walking their bikes and you will be completely knackered by the time you get to the top. There is then a long and very slightly uphill stretch of road, as you pedal along that trying to get your breath back all the people that you passed on the hill will pass you. It's a good feeling to have ridden up it, but don't beat yourself up about it if you don't manage it. You are probably better off not riding it if you are not super fit.
    Good luck to any doing the ride.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Hi Sophia,

I'm doing the same ride and am dreading that hill, I've heard it's horrible. I'm trying to get as much hill training in as possible at the moment so that hopefully when it comes to it I will be able to make it to the top, but 60 miles in and I'm not sure my legs will be working too well. There's an intermediate training plan on the BHF website which I'm trying to follow but doesn't entirely make sense. We've got 9 weeks of training left so am trying to fit in at least one long (3-4 hours) ride each weekend and a couple of hills sessions in the week.

Best of luck to you, hope the training goes well, be sure to wave when you cycle past me on the hill!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You're a year late, Vulva65.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Ahhh only a year out, no problem then!