How to kill a month, bike style

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,817
edited August 2015 in Commuting chat
So, I have a nice month off starting from today.

What luxury.

In the back of my mind I've had ideas that when this month comes I'll use it ride a lot (it is August!) and towards the end fly out to the Alps and do some col bagging.

However, until now I haven't looked into it, for fear of jinxing the month off!

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about it, or any firms who are good to use?

I haven't even looked at costs or anything like that, but figured enough of you here have done similar things to be able to point me in the right direction.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    If it was me I'd do a week in Wales followed by a week in the Alps then the rest at home mixing +100 mile rides with short hilly days but then I'm spoilt for choice with perfect riding on my doorstep, which helps.

So new job then?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Or you could do a LEJOG if you have a month free
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, I do want to spend a bit of time at home too ;). Mrs wants a lot of wedding planning too!
  • I spent 3 weeks in the Alps a few years ago but I went by coach, a bike specific company called Bike Express. Easy to organise but you are on the coach for something like 24 hours...not fun.

Talking of Wales I was there this weekend just gone and cycled up the Horseshoe Pass and other climbs....what a great weekend.
  • 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    I read that as how to kill a Moth! Anyway I think touring Britain is a good shout as minimal admin and maximum enjoyment of our great land, after the behaviour of some of the french in the tour I wouldnt give them my Euro this year
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    In a month you could comfortably reach Rome and even go the long way via Bourg D'oisans.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,883
    can the Mrs have some time off to do support for the LEJOG?
  • I read that as how to kill a Moth!

Glad I wasn't the only one!
    Anyway I think touring Britain is a good shout as minimal admin and maximum enjoyment of our great land,

Certainly easiest for transporting the bike etc.

Where are you normally based? Personally I would go looking for hills, so Snowdonia. Up to Scotland to do the Bealach Na Ba (sp?), some of the Tour de France climbs in Yorkshire, and not forgetting my neck of the woods Weardale & the North Pennines AONB. The joint two highest roads in England & Wales in Killhope Cross and Chapel Fell, doable in a single ride, but hard!

Another thought is seeing how many Top 100 climbs you can bag?

After all that going somewhere flat might appeal? ;)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Head oop north to god's own county - do Stage 1 and 2 from last year TdF, the route of the Great Yorkshire Bike ride for a lovely lunch on the coast, and the 65 Roses Holme Moss Classic route; all good rides that you can easily get from mapmyride. And you might well be able to fit them together to make a sensible circuit.

Pootle/rest up about for a week or so - then head to France for high mountains. I don't do foreign cycling holidays - but I was told by some keen cycling tourists that Spain (both Pyranees and the Baleric Isles) has some epic deals including travel, portage, v good bike hire etc

edit

very very jealous
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    but I was told by some keen cycling tourists that Spain (both Pyranees and the Baleric Isles) has some epic deals including travel, portage, v good bike hire etc

edit

very very jealous
    Sigh. I'm in Spain in a few weeks for a wedding. Few days in the Pyrenees. But no bike :'(
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Lucky you!

Cycle to the Alps (and back), B&Bs along the way?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    Do the Bryan Chapman route - the length of Wales and back - lovely roads and nice steady climbs and descents. Here's someone's strava map of it:

http://www.strava.com/activities/55171763

edit: also you could do lejog in 2 weeks pretty easily if you're fit, and have 2 weeks left for other stuff.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Head oop north to god's own county - do Stage 1 and 2 from last year TdF, the route of the Great Yorkshire Bike ride for a lovely lunch on the coast, and the 65 Roses Holme Moss Classic route; all good rides that you can easily get from mapmyride. And you might well be able to fit them together to make a sensible circuit.

Now that is a good idea...
  • rick_chasey
    28jw2s9.jpg

Lil' leg opener this morning.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Can you not take your other half to Spain? You could go to the south (Granada) or north (Pir.) and have a great two weeks while she is happy on the beech and you are happy on your bike?
    You could even try to sell her that is a pre-wedding present!
  • rick_chasey
    Unfortunately she has used all her holiday up.

Think i'm doing a lil ride down to Brighton next week. Mooch about, take the train back.