Plastics and cleaning?

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited January 2019 in The hub
Hi,

Bit of a long shot but someone might have some advice.

Having just stripped and serviced and fully clean my Dyson DC14 as I do every year, new brushes filters, complete strip and clean.

The bin that collects the waste is cloudy due to micro scratches, not a problem functionally just visually. I have replaced it in the past and have 3 bin assemblies now. Cost of replacement each time is £25.00.

Is there a way to restore it, ie, remove the cloudiness. I am sure there is. I have looked online and have found vaporcleaning. Not very practical for home. Also seen articles saying use brasso and buff with a drill.

Any other tips, I am without a drill until next month as lent it out. Material is ABS Polycarbonate. Since I have three it is worth trying and cost must be under replacing it.

Tried a baking soda paste mix and didn't touch it, also some maguires wax, these are things I have around the home.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some therapy for OCD?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The bin that collects the waste is cloudy due to micro scratches, not a problem functionally just visually. I have replaced it in the past and have 3 bin assemblies now. Cost of replacement each time is £25.00.

Have you looked on pimpmydyson.co.uk ?

They have some excellent pimping advice.
  • pimpmydyson......surely I have been blind sighted, how have I and no one else ever noticed the humongous gap in the market for this. Win win situation.

Surely this is a no brainer, I can add 2 new wheel sizes and shout about the new improved speed and efficiency offered. Then for them off road wooden floors and uneven carpets, surely they need some shocks that are kashima coated with a dropper for the wand thus always keeping the beater bar in perfect contact, Dyson have been misreading the market here.

Seriously though, these things aren't cheap to start with. Its just general maintenance from an engineering point of view. People complain they loose suction but have never cleaned the filers in x amount of years.

Its the same with bikes, if cranks become worn or rubbed, people replace or recoat them. This is only the same thing.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cleaning a house is not a hobby. Riding a bike is. That'll be the reason. Worrying if your Dyson has a few scratches on the dust bin is just stupid, doing anything about it is even more so. General servicing like filter cleaning is a must if you don't want to waste money. Caring about micro scratches which do virtually nothing for performance is just ridiculous.
  • As my original post said, I know it doesn't affect performance. Never said it was a hobby or that I was worrying. Was just curious if you could restore it to near new condition.

But if you wanted to get technical, then yes 100% it does affect performance. But then that would just be being pedantic for pedantic sake.

And you would be surprised at the amount of Dysons I have repaired by people who would rather pay for someone else to do the general servicing.

If you have dirty windows, it doesn't affect the performance of them but still 99% of people clean them or pay someone for the privilege. I don't see how this is different from what I originally asked.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    A I don't see how this is different from what I originally asked.

..and I for one don't see any difference in the evolution of this thread than the response that Cooldad offered.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • This is what happens when you let a man do a woman's job.
  • cooldad
    As the thread has been ressurected.
    If you have dirty windows, it doesn't affect the performance of them but still 99% of people clean them or pay someone for the privilege. I don't see how this is different from what I originally asked.

Yes it does. You look out of windows to see a lovely view, perhaps a bird in a tree. Or the bird next door in her bedroom.

You look in a Dyson to see crud.

Unless you are in Rhyl, one is not the same as the other.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    How about one of those lens brightening kits for car headlamps? they are supposed to remove scratches and clear the polycarb lenses? Just a thought.

But in general - why bother unless your dyson doubles as a bit of home art and is standing on a small plinth in your living room the other 99.9% of the year.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    How about one of those lens brightening kits for car headlamps? they are supposed to remove scratches and clear the polycarb lenses? Just a thought.

But in general - why bother unless your dyson doubles as a bit of home art and is standing on a small plinth in your living room the other 99.9% of the year.

Thanks paul, I have looked at one but don't think it would be fit for purpose. I think it needs buffing out then some kind of lacquer applying. Plastics are not my thing.

Good question why bother, I can assure you that is does not sit on a plinth or anything like that and does get used. Home art, well thats a different story I consider it to be an engineering art. But I just find it frustrating more than anything maybe OCD, but Dyson rave on about no loss of suction and one of there USP's is seeing the waste you collected etc. I feel it has been overlooked, yes it still performs it's job, but if they are going to use a clear plastic, then impregnate it with something that will keep it looking clear and not frosted.

If it were to happen to stanchions where the coating rubbed off I am sure you would all have a different mindset and be saying it is not fit for purpose etc. In my mind the dust bin is clear when you receive it and should remain clear.
  • Using the headlamp kit as a starting point can I suggest wet sanding?

It sounds harsh, but the scratches you have are caused by the swirling debris, and the only way back is to make the swirls and scratches smaller.

Starting of with a coarse to fine wet sanding regime you can finish off with T-cut.

Think of it as paint and go somewhere like Detailing World for hints. Even youtube will videos on wet sanding.

Embrace your inner OCD! :mrgreen:
  • Using the headlamp kit as a starting point can I suggest wet sanding?

It sounds harsh, but the scratches you have are caused by the swirling debris, and the only way back is to make the swirls and scratches smaller.

Starting of with a coarse to fine wet sanding regime you can finish off with T-cut.

Think of it as paint and go somewhere like Detailing World for hints. Even youtube will videos on wet sanding.

Embrace your inner OCD! :mrgreen:

I get why the scratches are visible and I understand the theory of wet sanding but I would need super fine grade sanding paper that is used in avionics to repair aircraft windows.

Would it last and how much would it cost? And if you are using clear plastics that would be subject to scratching then why can't the plastic be pre treated?

Maybe it is OCD or maybe it is just things should be right.
  • cooldad
    Nope it's OCD. I suggest therapy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Would it last and how much would it cost? And if you are using clear plastics that would be subject to scratching then why can't the plastic be pre treated?

Cost. Polycarbonate can come with anti-abrasive coatings, but it adds to the cost. I, and I imagine most people, would rather pay less for their vaccuum cleaner than be able to see the dirt better. I'd rather not see the dirt clearly, to be honest.
  • Would it last and how much would it cost? And if you are using clear plastics that would be subject to scratching then why can't the plastic be pre treated?

Cost. Polycarbonate can come with anti-abrasive coatings, but it adds to the cost. I, and I imagine most people, would rather pay less for their vaccuum cleaner than be able to see the dirt better. I'd rather not see the dirt clearly, to be honest.

Yeah true I guess cost will be the driving issue as it is for everything.

If you couldn't see the dirt that your vacuum collected, then how would you ever know that is collecting the dirt haha.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Ask your wife/girlfriend.
    She will know how to keep plastic clean and scratch free.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Once you've achieved the desired finish might I suggest heli-taping the inside of the cylinder, that way on your annual service you can remove the tape and replace it.

Thats how I keep my Dyson looking ship shape!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • just vacuum up abrasive grit in ever finer grades. Eventually they will polish it back until smooth.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    No offence clockworkmark but you would be very wise to wear a decent face mask and with a lot of ventilation when taking these things apart. On my rounds, I cam across 3 Dyson's. One in a skip, one in a bin and one at the dump in a short space of time.
    I made 3 not so good one's into 2, thereby saving my frail mother from having to lump one of them upstairs.
    Within 4 weeks, I was coughing like a basket and was nearly put on steroids. Numerous doctor's appointments came up with Asthma, Exercise induced Asthma and bronchial infections - none were right.

A friend who converts turbo trainers*1 into dynamo's*2 amongst other things, uses Dyson motors. When I noticed a motor lying loose at his workshop and recognised the thing, I said that it was because I had dismantled a few. He said immediately, "I hope you wore a mask". Then the bell rang.
    So instead of being pedantic about the clarity of your Dyson collection vestibule, you may concern yourself more with the health implications of dealing with fine particles that escape the filters and can affect your lungs and when you think about it, those particles are made up of mites, skin and god knows what else.

1*Best thing to do with the f*cking things I say. 2* Micro generation projects for schools and colleges.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • No offence clockworkmark but you would be very wise to wear a decent face mask and with a lot of ventilation when taking these things apart. On my rounds, I cam across 3 Dyson's. One in a skip, one in a bin and one at the dump in a short space of time.
    I made 3 not so good one's into 2, thereby saving my frail mother from having to lump one of them upstairs.
    Within 4 weeks, I was coughing like a basket and was nearly put on steroids. Numerous doctor's appointments came up with Asthma, Exercise induced Asthma and bronchial infections - none were right.

A friend who converts turbo trainers*1 into dynamo's*2 amongst other things, uses Dyson motors. When I noticed a motor lying loose at his workshop and recognised the thing, I said that it was because I had dismantled a few. He said immediately, "I hope you wore a mask". Then the bell rang.
    So instead of being pedantic about the clarity of your Dyson collection vestibule, you may concern yourself more with the health implications of dealing with fine particles that escape the filters and can affect your lungs and when you think about it, those particles are made up of mites, skin and god knows what else.

1*Best thing to do with the f*cking things I say. 2* Micro generation projects for schools and colleges.

No offense take, but I am well aware of how to service a Dyson along with many other items that contain filters.

The filters are meant to be replaced or cleaned periodically. I am well aware of the things that that they suck up (every vacuum included) and exhaust at the same time.

My question was about a cosmetic point of view, but thank you for raising it back up again :D

Also I did mention earlier that it is serviced on a regular basis out of habit. Dyson and all other manufactures recommend the same thing to keep everything working optimal.

I was just curious about a cosmetic point of view.

If you were to get a second hand or free vacuum again, first point of call should be new filters and a clean or deep clean of said item.

But thankyou for your advice 8)
  • Collect cigar ash, loads of it, mix with water to use as a paste. Polish with small circular motions.
    This was used for many years to polish scratches out of reading glasses.
  • cooldad
    You obviously frequent different sorts of clubs to most.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    You obviously frequent different sorts of clubs to most.

Cigar smoking clubs. And it is not called ash either.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    £25 ish for a new one. Why even mess about trying to clean the old one if it honestly bothers you? Using wet and dry on plastics to remove scratches will take hours.
  • £25 ish for a new one. Why even mess about trying to clean the old one if it honestly bothers you? Using wet and dry on plastics to remove scratches will take hours.

I shall not respond :D
  • pinno
    £25 ish for a new one. Why even mess about trying to clean the old one if it honestly bothers you? Using wet and dry on plastics to remove scratches will take hours.

Is that because the end of the world is nigh and so it is immaterial?
  • £25 ish for a new one. Why even mess about trying to clean the old one if it honestly bothers you? Using wet and dry on plastics to remove scratches will take hours.

No it is from an engineering principle. It is a premium product so particulars like this should have been foreseen and considered within the design process. Maybe it is an extreme. But if you consider your company to be at the leading edge of design and engineering, and command a premium for it. I would assume small matters like this to have been taken in.

If I was a billionaire and something was not correct in the minute detail every company would bend over backwards.

I don't see how this is wrong from a good engineering principle.

And for your information, everything has a finite lifespan including earth. What would you class as immaterial? We are only custodians for everything. So by that everything including life could be considered as immaterial.
  • pinno

No it is from an engineering principle. It is a premium product so particulars like this should have been foreseen and considered within the design process. Maybe it is an extreme. But if you consider your company to be at the leading edge of design and engineering, and command a premium for it. I would assume small matters like this to have been taken in.

If I was a billionaire and something was not correct in the minute detail every company would bend over backwards.

And for your information, everything has a finite lifespan including earth. What would you class as immaterial? We are only custodians for everything. So by that everything including life could be considered as immaterial.

Easy Tiger - don't go all pre-menstrual on me. I thought is was just roadies that could be like that? :wink:

Easy Tiger - don't go all pre-menstrual on me. I thought is was just roadies that could be like that? :wink:

It almost sounded like you was making a flippant remark at my hypothetical question on something that is not linked to the question. So my bi*ch claws hit defcon 1.
  • pinno
    Drink beer. Find a hill to go down*. Smoke marijuana. Preferably all at the same time.
    *towards a brothel

I mean that in the nicest possible way.