SPD Pedals (Yellow)

MikeD111
MikeD111 Posts: 62
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I have just purchased my new bike and will be treating it to some new Pedals. The Bike is Black all over so thought I would add some colour to it.
I have out loud Northwave yellow shoes so why not.

Question is what pedals shall i go for?
I currently ride a Shimano Spd-SL R540.

Would be nice to capture some in the sale :)

£50ish budget.

I've seen;
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/pedals-pedals-road-time-xpresso-6-pedals/timepeda661

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    SPD is not a catch all term for clipless pedals. It specifically refers to the 2 bolt, sometimes referred to at MTB system made by Shimano. Neither your current pedals nor the ones you've linked to are SPD.
  • MikeD111
    SPD is not a catch all term for clipless pedals. It specifically refers to the 2 bolt, sometimes referred to at MTB system made by Shimano. Neither your current pedals nor the ones you've linked to are SPD.

Sorry Mark, my knowledge is not so good. I just thought this was the case as the ones i have are named SPD and the the cleats i have are called SPD.

I use this style with the pedal i have;
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/spd-sl-cleats-front-float-6-degree-oe--ec050916?country=GB&currency=GBP&esvt=850-GOUKE325476&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-35388-1&esvcrea=61233482816&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvaid=50080&gclid=CO7oxI7GhccCFc7HtAodTzgOTQ

Could you explain to me what i have and need please so that i can learn.

Thanks,
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Don't try too hard to add colour to your bike, it's not a cheap french hatchback.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You've said yourself the pedals are SPD-SL, not SPD. Why are you wanting to change your pedals? Those are perfectly good, changing them, to a different system entirely, would be a daft idea just for a bit of colour.

If you want colour try coloured bottle cages, bar tape, bar ends, tyres, shifter hoods.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How long are you spending looking at the bike as opposed to riding it ? You can't see your pedals when you're on it - so they would be the least of my worries. I couldn't even tell you the colours of my pedals.

Stick with your usual pedals.
  • MikeD111
    Thanks for your comments.

I was planning on selling my pedal I have with my old bike.
    I ride in the dark a lot to and from work in the winter so a bit of light colouring on a solid black bike I thought might be a good idea!

I've gone for yellow handlebar tap.

My ride to work is along what has been named as the most dangerous road in west sussex!
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    There's nowt wrong with wanting your bike to look good! I spend a lot of time tinkering and changing bits on my bike, it's as much a hobby as it is riding it.
    I to have a matte black bike with bits of flouro yellow colour here and there. I used to use the Time iclic pedal system and found it to be good (I use Speedplay now). I used to have the Time Carboflex Racer pedals, I know you can get them in different colours but not sure about yellow.
    Once you get it finished get some photos up, and in the mean time enjoy tinkering! :D
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • MikeD111
    There's nowt wrong with wanting your bike to look good! I spend a lot of time tinkering and changing bits on my bike, it's as much a hobby as it is riding it.
    I to have a matte black bike with bits of flouro yellow colour here and there. I used to use the Time iclic pedal system and found it to be good (I use Speedplay now). I used to have the Time Carboflex Racer pedals, I know you can get them in different colours but not sure about yellow.
    Once you get it finished get some photos up, and in the mean time enjoy tinkering! :D

Thanks I will :)
  • MikeD111
    So this there any benefits in differ pedals and if you had £50 what would you buy?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499

I ride in the dark a lot to and from work in the winter so a bit of light colouring on a solid black bike I thought might be a good idea!

My ride to work is along what has been named as the most dangerous road in west sussex!

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you pile as much money as you are able into a very strong set of lights - on poorly lit roads it is as important to have a bright rear light to make yourself seen to motorists as it is to have a decent powered front light to see the road surface ahead. Yellow pedals will not help in either respect!

Peter

PS If you fancy a splash of yellow, you could always treat yourself to a pair of those bright yellow over-sock things which can help protect your shoes in wintery weather.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

Forget your plans of having yellow pedals - they will not be seen in the dark. Get pedals that take pedal reflectors - they are very effective.

And as someone else says - get good lights. At least two on the back. You can't tell if ones broken or fallen off.

Also google tireflys - lights that go on a valve cap. You can superglue them to bike valve caps and they will give good visibility from the side.

Oh you can also get bar end caps with LED's in too.

Being alive trumps aesthetics.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    ^^ What he said, stick with your yellow Northwave shoes and SPD-SL pedals and spend the money on some decent F & R lights.
  • MikeD111
    ^^ What he said, stick with your yellow Northwave shoes and SPD-SL pedals and spend the money on some decent F & R lights.

I have lights. I need some new pedals either way... So what are my best options at about £50.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Sorry, I can't recommend you any of the various road pedal systems as I have never used any of them, I use double sided XT PD-M785 MTB SPD on my road bike.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Have a look on line at what SPD-SL pedals Shimano have to offer. You can't go wrong with them or their cleats (recently found I need more float than the blue tipped ones and reverted to yellow). The only other company I'd consider is Speedplay but they are in a higher price bracket.

Peter