Doping in Athletics...

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited September 2015 in The cake stop
Brilliant (for us). No longer will cycling be tarred as the dirty sport, I hope.

In all seriousness, the OC have never dealt with doping in athletics. I think they stood back with quiet pleasure mixed with fear when the Festina affair broke. Can you imagine dope testing happening without warning in some far eastern country where female power lifters weighing 47kg's are clean and jerking over 115kg's ?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Is it an age thing? How many crusty old men are still involved with sport who are well past their sell by date? The IAAf guy is 82, Blatter in charge of football..late seventies and been hanging around like a bad smell for years, Ecclestone and F1 in his mid-eighties. I know experience has some value but at some point you just have to move on do you not? So many organisations in the hands of these sort of figures but unfortunately the majority of sporting events seem to be attended by people who are just there for a selfie to show of to their friends more than anything.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    I doubt that anyone who follows cycling will be surprised.

The rest of the sporting world is in denial.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,219
    Someone else said it on Pro-Race.

Cycling was the canary in the mine and all the other sports refused to listen.

The logistics of doping in cycling, combined with the high number of days in competition make being caught much more likely.
  • Lord Coe who is a member of the hierarchy IAAF(currently in the running to be president). Promises a robust response to the doping allegations!!!!!!
    Bit bleeding late aint it..... He has sat at the top table of the IAAF since 2007. Ever the politician our Seb get your response in first before the awkward questions.
    Questions like why have you ignored it for the last 6 or 7 years.........
    I forget the American sprinters name, he has been banned twice for heaven sakes and is now running faster than ever.
    I believe there is a case for if caught banned for life!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    It is the management, trainers, medical staff and other associated personnel linked to athletics, cycling and other performance sports that need to be investigated and targeted. Otherwise doping will never be stopped.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The problem you have is they have taken things too far which removes any room. That is the same for cycling as it is for athletics.
    When you can have a cup of tea at a hotel and then take positive sample because of the blend of herbs in the the you know you have gone too far.
    Everyone knows HGH etc offer performance gains together with a whole host of others but its at the point where a million and one things will put you in the "drug user" category and that is IMO wrong.
    I have also read where some people with a higher than normal blood regeneration have failed tests but have actually been clean.
    Its a complete minefield to me.
    Living MY dream.
  • Drugs/doping etc have been in athletics for years,IIRC at one time they were on about nullifying all the records and starting from scratch because they couldn't be sure how many had been achieved by doping. Is there a case to be made that the reason the info in the leaked documents was suppressed could be because certain athletes who still have a high profile/position/influence within athletics would be mentioned and come under close scrutiny?

Cycling has always been the "bad boy" because there has always been performance enhancers involved and despite the UCI's complicity it has done its washing in public. Where the biggest cover up was made was when Armstrong was involved and he had various people in his pocket. The reason I refer to this is I'm drawing a parallel (perhaps wrongly) on why this cover up in athletics has taken place.

Either way I hope the whole rotten lot comes down and the right people end up with egg on their face.

There will always be people who will endevour to cheat.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I remember Lasse Viren won the gold medals for 5000metres and 10000 at the Berlin games 1972 and Montreal 1976.
    Freely admitted blood doping and nobody raised an eyebrow.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Some of those Russian women shotputters of the 70s had hair on their chests - all the way down to their bollox.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Some of those Russian women shotputters of the 70s had hair on their chests - all the way down to their bollox.

That's normal for Eastern European women isn't it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate

Let's ask Sean. :lol:
  • pinno
    Russian gymnasts were given drugs to suppress natural growth and delay pubity which caused sterility ultimately.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    I can't see the situation improving significantly until life bans are introduced.

Too much to gain and not enough to lose. When you can resume a career after a 2 or 4 year ban and still enjoy the advantages in muscle mass that steroids offer, where (apart from morally) is the incentive for an 18 - 24 year old NOT to dope? Banned at 20, competing again at 22/24? Joke.

Couple that with the fact that this latest debacle surrounds inaction when the miscreants HAD been caught and I can't see much light at the end of the tunnel.

Twice banned Justin Gatlin will, in all likelihood, be running in the World 100m final in a couple of weeks. TWICE banned and still allowed to compete in one of the most prestigious events in world sport - where's the disincentive?

I don't buy the "contaminated supplements" defence either. If the sport can afford the training facilities, coaches, world wide travel and prize money, it can afford to have correctly tested and certified supplements. Buying supplements from a source whereby they can become contaminated should be enough to set alarm bells ringing.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Poland is Central Europe :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    The logistics of doping in cycling, combined with the high number of days in competition make being caught much more likely.

Armstrong taught us it was easy to cheat and get away with it
  • pblakeney
    Modern morals at their best. Shoot the messenger, not the people doing wrong.

"It did, though, "condemn in the strongest possible terms the distribution, sharing, and publication of private and confidential medical data that was obtained from the IAAF without consent.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33777915
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Well not really. He tested positive in the '99 Tour and tested positive retrospectively, and his teammates ratted him out, which is why we know he did cheat.

As far as I can see, 1/3 of these athletes are cheating & getting away with it, so they're obviously doing a better job than Armstrong has!
  • pinno
    edited August 2015

Well not really. He tested positive in the '99 Tour and tested positive retrospectively, and his teammates ratted him out, which is why we know he did cheat.

As far as I can see, 1/3 of these athletes are cheating & getting away with it, so they're obviously doing a better job than Armstrong has!

Or that they are being tested far less and far less randomly without warning than the pro cyclist counterpart?
  • pblakeney

As far as I can see, they have been caught. It has just been covered up. Like Armstrong.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    I see that Seb Coe has declared war on the journalists.
    Instead of the cheats.
    He must really want that new job.
    Another Sepp Blatter in the making.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Twice banned Justin Gatlin will, in all likelihood, be running in the World 100m final in a couple of weeks. TWICE banned and still allowed to compete in one of the most prestigious events in world sport - where's the disincentive?

Gatlin's 8 year ban for his 2nd failure in 2005/2006 was reduced by Travis Tygart himself to 4 years in exchange for him dishing the dirt on his suppliers. Presumably he has found a new, better one!
  • I see that Seb Coe has declared war on the journalists.
    Instead of the cheats.
    Coe was on the gear believe me.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pblakeney
    I see that Seb Coe has declared war on the journalists.
    Instead of the cheats.
    Coe was on the gear believe me.
    I knew one member of the team who has admitted it in person. He named some, implicated most but I can't remember if Seb was one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

As far as I can see, they have been caught. It has just been covered up. Like Armstrong.

In no way has Armstrong "got away with it", in your words, and there are lots of athletes out there who are obviously still competing despite breaking the rules by doping - to me that is 'getting away with it'.

It is different There's no other way to interpret it.
  • pblakeney

In no way has Armstrong "got away with it", in your words, and there are lots of athletes out there who are obviously still competing despite breaking the rules by doping - to me that is 'getting away with it'.

It is different There's no other way to interpret it.
    Athletes today, Armstrong in 1999. Very similar.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    http://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20150711/283137132464907/TextView

As people have pointed out. Where is the incentive to stay clean?
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33867962
    According to the world governing body, a large majority of the athletes are retired with "very few" still active.

Just in time, then?
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Those of a certain age will remember the American Bob Beamon who broke the world long jump record at the 1968 Olympics by nearly two feet when increments are normally in inches or fractions of an inch. I'm not saying he did and I'm not saying he didn't, but by feck it sure looked like it wasn't done on just water...
  • pblakeney
    Is athletics now the dirty sport?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33948924
    Veronese68 wrote: