Whirring noisy gears / chain

tc1992
tc1992 Posts: 62
edited August 2015 in Road beginners
i took my bike in to the LBS recently for my gears to be tweaked, that were slipping a bit, they are Shimano 105
The guy has sorted so that is now fixed, but there is a some annoying noise from the chain / gear setup.
On the big cog, it gets quite loud (it only runs quiet in the top 2 or 3 gears), and was like that before i had the bike looked at. The small cog was fine at first (it was fine noise wise before i sent it in, i.e silent), but last time i went out there was sound coming as well while i was on the small cog, across all the gears.

I know that on the extreme opposite gears you will inevitably get chain rub. i can't actually understand why any noise is coming, for example on middle gears . . the chain is nowhere near the sides of the front derailleur.

Is there anything i can do to fix this. Otherwise i will have to probably take it back in, or am i expecting too much from a £10 job, as the gears do work fine. Just the noise does my head in. So to summise the noise on the big cog is about the same as before i took it in, the noise on the small cog is worst.

Comments