First time MTB holiday location for 2016?

boredinyorkshire
boredinyorkshire Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Holidays
Hi guys,

I could really do with some advice as I'm completely baffled with choices!

We're 3 middle aged blokes looking for our first mountain bike holiday! We don't have a strict budget, but cash is a bit tight so, we can't afford anything too extravagant.

In an ideal world, we'd like.....

Somewhere like the Alps, with lifts up to stunning views and miles of fun single track decents. We aren't downhillers, or free riders, and prefer to keep our wheels planted firmly on the ground - so nothing too 'adrenaline fuelled'. We don't really want a strict itinerary, and would prefer the freedom to ride at our pace or times etc. although we would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Any help of where to start etc would be greatly appreciated - this would also be my first holiday in around 7 years so I'm hoping for a good one :)

All input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Comments

• UH DH
    UH DH Posts: 4,160
    Bit less downhilly, maybe look at Bourg-Saint-Maurice/Les Arcs, most of it is xc or enduro stuff with a few mild downhills thrown in. Though the best way to get the most out of Les Arcs is to get guiding which does cost a bit.

Maybe Tignes, expensive in winter but cheap in summer and with free liftpasses, it's a bit harder to get to and if you'e driving it's about 45min from Les Arcs as well.

Alp D'Huez has a huge range of trails available: http://www.alpedhueznet.com/biking-trails/

Or the old classic, Morzine. Big area, lots of lifts, and a lot of trails for all abilities and disciplines.
    Check out my site - http://www.trail-dog.co.uk
    It's good for you.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    edited October 2015
    maybe try a week with the whiteroom chalet,they are down in the Tarentaise valley 'Boug St-Maurice' area,I stayed with them about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it,they split the riders up into groups according to their ability,great riding and scenery,and the couple that run it are the best hosts of anywhere i have stayed,they do book up early in the year as i sadly found out a few years ago
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I went to Les Arcs last week. The trails in the park sucks, terrible braking bumps and boring trails. Overcrowded with complete beginners riding at walking speed. The unofficial trails are a lot better but very steep and gnarly, not for the less confident rider, you need to be happy on Black and double black trails to enjoy them.
    Val d'isare was a million times better. Great riding, even on the blue and green trails.
  • Sorry for such a late reply....

Thanks for the input guys! I've managed to get a couple of mates interested :)

Is it easier/cheaper etc to take my own bike or to hire one do you think?

Cheers
    Neil
  • I would drive and take your own. For me it took 14 hours to drive from Somerset to Les Arcs and five hours of that was stuck in traffic on the A303/M3. Once in France you can cruise all day at 80mph, autoroute all the way. If you share with a couple mates it's cheaper than flying and just as quick when you consider transfers etc.
    A lot of resorts are starting to close the lifts now.