Wndows 10

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited August 2015 in The cake stop
Well I like it.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It's downloading, I havent pulled the trigger yet though. Not sure I can be bothered to make recovery disks and all that for Win 8.1 but wondering if I should...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I like it, mostly because it's very very similar to Windows 7, on the surface it's almost exactly the same! Which is good because I liked Windows 7 and never liked the look of Windows 8.

Upgrade from Windows 7 was painless too, couple of hours and there you go, all done.

(Although I had to use a special download link as I didn't get the upgrade notification and tried about a dozen ways to fix it but it still didn't work, but no matter, upgraded now)
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'll let you lot find the bugs before I install it
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • markhewitt1978
    I'll let you lot find the bugs before I install it

:D. Honestly haven't found any so far.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Never be as good as Apple OS

Hides
  • markhewitt1978
    Windows 10 is a bit of a daft name anyway. If they wanted to be cool they should use roman numerals and be Windows X - even better "X Windows"

Of course the Windows part is irrelevant now as all OS systems have windows so better to just called it 'OS' or OSX for short.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Ive been a mac guy for a few years now but this does look like it could change me to buy a PC for the first time in years. Very powerful software mixed with good processing power and the ability to complete coding at a pace rival to a mac makes this a game changer imo.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Ive been a mac guy for a few years now but this does look like it could change me to buy a PC for the first time in years. Very powerful software mixed with good processing power and the ability to complete coding at a pace rival to a mac makes this a game changer imo.
    Not wanting to be picky but*.......
    Rivalling the opposition isn't really game changing. Being vastly superior would be.

*Well, okay, I do. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Not wanting to be picky but*.......
    Rivalling the opposition isn't really game changing. Being vastly superior would be.

*Well, okay, I do. :wink:

If windows 10 rivals or is even close to being able to crunch code like a mac it would without a doubt be a game changer for microsoft. The reason I say this is that if your a movie or an audio guy you really have no choice but mac, likewise if you crunch binary like I did before retirement you had no choice but mac.

Now if you are able to do this on a PC it is an industry changer, giving people an option for the first time in years.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    I use Windows at work as I have no choice and Mac at home because I do but to be honest, both are morphing into the same thing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Can't say it's made much difference to my desktop, but I've just spent most of the day trying to get it to install on my old windows 7 starter netbook, and it is much, much better. Although it did take a hell of a lot of perseverance to actually get the damn thing to install...
  • Can't say it's made much difference to my desktop, but I've just spent most of the day trying to get it to install on my old windows 7 starter netbook, and it is much, much better. Although it did take a hell of a lot of perseverance to actually get the damn thing to install...

How would you say it's better. It seems almost the same if anything to me.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Is this 'free' upgrade for real? Or is it hit the upgrade button, get a reduced capability or time limited version then have to stump up more dosh for the full version?

Says Windows 7 user cynic with track record of getting burned by both Gates and Jobs products.
  • JackPozzi
    Can't say it's made much difference to my desktop, but I've just spent most of the day trying to get it to install on my old windows 7 starter netbook, and it is much, much better. Although it did take a hell of a lot of perseverance to actually get the damn thing to install...

How would you say it's better. It seems almost the same if anything to me.

Desktop was 8.1, can't say I've noticed much difference.

Netbook was hideously slow on 7 starter, the upgrade was hard work to do and took several attempts, but is now much quicker. Used to take several seconds from launching a program til there was any sign that anything was happening whereas it's now pretty much instant.
  • JackPozzi
    Is this 'free' upgrade for real? Or is it hit the upgrade button, get a reduced capability or time limited version then have to stump up more dosh for the full version?

Says Windows 7 user cynic with track record of getting burned by both Gates and Jobs products.

As far I know it is as it says on the tin. think MS want to get everyone onto the same OS so are willing to give away 10 for free to allow that to happen
  • ddraver
    Upgraded over the day after backing things up etc. I wouldnt do it on a work computer but I only use this one for netflix and facebook etc. so I thought I'd give it a whirl

It took a long time and somehow I managed to attract (or quite possibly revealed) a bunch of malware, it also took a long while for all my apps and everything to switch over and work properly

Now it's going though it's fine. I'm liking the start menu already, but sorting it all out is proving a pain. I somehow don't think out IT guy at work will let us upgrade any time soon but I'd be interested to know what people using it for proper work think of it
    - @ddraver
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I upgraded my laptop last night, I can appreciate the code behind it but like JackPozzi wrote, I haven't noticed a great deal of difference.

To be truthful I got used to 8.1 and found it fine, in fact probably their best yet and I'm a heavy user and it only blue screened once over a 2 year period and I'm not convinced it wasn't the Graphics Card drivers.

It installed in about an hour as an upgrade, which I don't normally do as I like clean systems, but I felt that I only use my laptop when I travel and so if it was a calamity then I could always re-install before my next trip in September.

I don't think I will upgrade my main workstation yet and will probably wait until the release SP1 which will probably be in a years time.
  • Is this 'free' upgrade for real? Or is it hit the upgrade button, get a reduced capability or time limited version then have to stump up more dosh for the full version?

No it's for real. They've taken the lessons from the likes of Apple with iOS etc and the advantage of having as many people as possible on the latest operating system, and the best way to do that is to give it away for free. Since they recognise following the XP debacle that getting people to upgrade their OS is really really hard, and doubly so when you're charging for the upgrade! MS will still make money by charging for new installs.

So yeah it's a free upgrade as long as your install is genuine in the first place!
  • ddraver
    so after a day of waiting for everything to update and chasing the malware off my system, I have to say I like it - although as Pozzi and Nutter say it's not anything new. I used 8.1 before too and had gotten used to it. It's like they ve mashed together the good bits of Win 7 and 8.

Other than setting up Cortana -which is not really appropriate for a laptop (which is really just a desktop) and I'm only doing it for fun, then I ll turn it off - everything I ve tried to do has been logical and easy to find. I suppose for MS that it is "forgettable" rather than feeling actively hostile like the first versions of Win8 then that's a success

The Edge Browser is crap for normal computer use though, they need to do a lot of work on that!
    - @ddraver
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    If you've not checked your security settings and/or you may be concerned about such things, you should have a read of this and review your settings:
    http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/windows-10-under-fire-default/
  • ddraver
    ^agreed

MS have gone all Apple/Google on us
    - @ddraver