Why do I keep splipping on my pedals

ageis
ageis Posts: 49
edited August 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi I bought myself a norco 7.1 charger 6 weeks ago.

So I have had this bike quite some time but I find occasionally when a pedaling I can feel my foot lift off the pedal. I'm wearing brand new trainers which I've only worn a few times.

Bear in mind this is on the flat not on a rough trail. So how can I prevent myself from doing this?

I prefer not to use spd's as of yet. I'm still a beginner I don't want to have to keep in mind am strapped in.

my pedals look similar to this
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Wellgo-LU950-Flat-Pedal_78666.htm?sku=254464&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CP7UxJKyh8cCFajHtAodDU4KtQ#

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    What trainers are you using, those pedals won't provide much grip either
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You're doing something wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Try putting on a couple of stone, or carrying some old triangular weights in your camel pack.

or get a set of dmr's and some skate shoes.
  • Is your foot lifting of the pedal at the bottom of your down stroke when pedaling? If so I'd say your seat is set too high. There should be a slight bend in your knee when your leg is extended.

Also those pedals are not at all grippy.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Poor pedals, poor shoes and not keeping a constant pressure on the pedal.

You want pedals that look like this, http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/delta-evo-pedals.htm

Trainers with plastic soles are no good, soft rubbery soles are.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OP says it was on flat roads. No point in spending on shoes and pedals if the technique is all wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Those pedals will have little if any grip.

DMR V8 pedals will be a big improvement. Also the flatter your soles the better the grip.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    OP says it was on flat roads. No point in spending on shoes and pedals if the technique is all wrong.

That's why I said this, 'not keeping a constant pressure on the pedal.'
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068

Think of turning the foot in circles - push the pedal forward at the top of the stroke, down through the stroke and drag it back with the foot at the bottom then let it be carried back up by the other pedal stroke - mashing them as though you are stopping through mud is inefficient and can lead to you lifting off the pedal. A running shoe and a p of s pedal wont help either but if you are on road you should be able to deal with it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380

Think of turning the foot in circles - push the pedal forward at the top of the stroke, down through the stroke and drag it back with the foot at the bottom then let it be carried back up by the other pedal stroke - mashing them as though you are stopping through mud is inefficient and can lead to you lifting off the pedal. A running shoe and a p of s pedal wont help either but if you are on road you should be able to deal with it.

I had pedals like these on a mountain bike many years ago. You would not believe how bad they are even on the road. There is no grip, they are small and the worst possible shape for stability unless you put foot straps on them which is pointless. Swapped to some normal MTB pedals and the bike changed completely becoming stable and very manoeuvrable.
  • esa2
    esa2 Posts: 44
    My tuppence worth is that those pedals are hopeless especially if you have big feet. Ive also found trainers no use whatsoever as they provide no grip whatsoever. Also better with a firmer stiffer sole for more efficient pedalling. Dont have to spend a fortune on proper cycling shoes either. I use Karrimor walking walking shoes from SportsDirect and have had no problems using them

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-summit-waterproof-mens-walking-shoes-183458?colcode=18345890
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rat trap pedals are bad enough, with an alloy cage with no sharp peaks they are even worse!

That said, the Giant bikes I rent often have them and I have a pair of trainers with depp lateral groves that sit neatly on the lateral sections making them 'useable'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    Those pedals are terrible, my hybrid came with the same type and even though I only used the bike on the flat and on road but found the pedals offered little grip. Better yet they were still spiky enough make a mess of my shins on a pedal slip.

I've changed pedals which work much better in general although as you'd expect, some shoes have a tread patter which fits better with the pedals than others.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those pedals will have little if any grip.

DMR V8 pedals will be a big improvement. Also the flatter your soles the better the grip.

V8's aren't very good for the price. Superstar Nano's are heaps better.
  • I replaced my stock pedals (very similar to the ones in the photo) with DMR V12s, and the difference is astounding. I largely changed mine because the stock ones were very narrow and so my feet would ache, and also the V12s were orange and matched my paintwork, but it almost feels like a different bike. Not worrying about whether I've got enough purchase on the pedal makes everything even more enjoyable.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I had some basic Cannonade pedals when I bought my bike and found it slippy over rough terrain when pedalling hard. Upgraded to some Shimano saint MX80 flat pedals and had no more problems.

I've played around with footwear and found the flatter the better!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • doofJP
    doofJP Posts: 1
    could be technique, if you're riding in a standing position, you should keep your feet tilted slightly backwards, it gives you some stability.