traveling with a bike (by plane)

razorjack
razorjack Posts: 97
edited July 2015 in MTB general
Hi.
I'm flying to Munich (from Heathrow) with my bike. I'll put in in Evoc Travel Bike Bag. To Heathrow i'll go by National Express (i guess, are there any other convenient ways?)
Any advices? things to look out ?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Hi.
    I'm flying to Munich (from Heathrow) with my bike. I'll put in in Evoc Travel Bike Bag. To Heathrow i'll go by National Express (i guess, are there any other convenient ways?)
    Any advices? things to look out ?

Check the bus will take your bike - last time I tired to get on on the Rail Air to Heathrow they accepted it but on the way home got a bit belligerent about letting me load it on the bus to go back.

Check you air fare for extras for a bike bag - most airlines will hit you for extra could be up to £50 potentially.

Pack it well and hope for the best! A guy over here (Canada) had his carbon bike and carbon wheels destroyed by Air Canada and they initially refused to help him out saying his bike bag was insufficient. Internet furor solved it for him but airlines are shit bags.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh, I guess it depends on the value of the bike, a proper freight box/ flight case might be worthwhile if you intend doing it more than once.

Or maybe consider renting a bike or just buying a cheap one on the other side to save travelling with it.

By national express do you mean bus or train? Trains are generally ok but it's prudent to enquire /book in advance with some rail companies.

I guess a lot depends on the purpose of the visit.. I quite often go to Spain to visit relatives and I generally blag a bike from someone for the duration.
  • razorjack
    razorjack Posts: 97
    National Expresss - buses/coaches, i had already spoken to them, they said it's not a problem.
    bike is added to my booked flight. (50eur per flight)

What about some kind of insurance for extreme holidays? (do you need some to cover expensive rescue costs and/or hospital, etc. ?
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Might be very wise to ensure yourself, I imagine insurance similar to what people who go skiing etc use, but as a minimum you can apply for a free nhs card http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/Pages/Healthcareabroad.aspx This will make hospital treatment in the EU free rather than potentially having to pay upfront and claim the cost back later.
    No idea whether you'd need to pay for things like airlifts though, so I'd recommend taking out some kind of extreme sports cover.