Chain Oil.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited August 2015 in Workshop
At the mo I'm using Purple Extreme after a good recommendation. But I'm finding it a catch 22... It doesn't last long before the chain looks dry, but if I apply just a dab before most rides then the chain soon turns into a black sludge. Unless I constantly apply and wash off (which would be a time consuming p.i.t.a to do every 3 or 4 rides, even with a chain cleaning tool which is just smearing the oil around) I cant win?

I'm I doing something wrong?

Or is there other chain lubes that people recommend? I aim to ride in the dry but sometimes get caught out by the lying weatherman. Anyone used Finish Line Dry Teflon?
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Make sure you wipe off the excess after oiling or it soon collects muck as you ride along.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Get ready for a hundred different answers and a heated argument once someone mentions WD40 (bugger now I've done it) :shock:
    My suggestion is oil, any oil, much cheaper than the bike specific stuff but it works.
    If commuting or riding in winter use heavier engine or gear oil, stays on better but will get black and messy.
    If riding only in the dry then thin oil like 3in1 is good. Apply sparingly and wipe off. After ride wipe chain re-apply and wipe off again. Less is more as they say :wink:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    And accept that even the slightly oily chain will turn black with accumulated crap pretty quickly. Pros only have shiny chains because they're new nearly every day :)

or try one of the "dry" lubes. Personally I don't like them but I don't care if my chain looks dirty, as long as it's quiet and not rusty. A wipe with a rag get a lot of crap off it if I feel so inclined.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You don't need to deep clean the chain before every re-lube, but it should be wiped clean. I use a rag (old vest) and spray some GT85 either directly on the chain or the rag and then wipe the chain with it, the GT85 (or WD40 just as good) helps to get the black sludge off. Then reapply your oil one drop to each link. This only takes a couple of minutes and I generaly do it before each ride.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Daviddk
    Daviddk Posts: 8
    Currently using Squirt dry lube, but not really happy with it.
    Chain is very sticky to the touch and fairly noisy, and it still accumulates a lot of dirt and it's more difficult to wipe clean. After a rainy ride it also left my chain very rusty the next day (didn't have time to dry the chain but bike was stored in a dry garage).
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    Currently using Squirt dry lube, but not really happy with it.
    Chain is very sticky to the touch and fairly noisy, and it still accumulates a lot of dirt and it's more difficult to wipe clean. After a rainy ride it also left my chain very rusty the next day (didn't have time to dry the chain but bike was stored in a dry garage).

Following a couple of recommendations I read, I have also just started using this. It seems to keep the chain shiny but, as you say, it is very sticky and (I thought it was just me!) seems to make the chain noisier. I also seem to be experiencing noisy, rattly changes between small and large chain rings, it doesn't slip seamlessly from small to large . . . although this may be due to something else as I have been fettling with the front mech lately . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm using ProGold ProLink and very happy with it. Its the oppossite of sticky, in fact its actually self cleaning i.e. you can spray it on the chain to clean it, and the chain therefore cleans very easily with a rag with some GT85 applied.

The only downside I've found is that you do need to reapply it often, every ride or every other ride. However because its so easy to clean off, it takes just a couple of minutes to do and keeps the chain in tip top condition.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The manufacturer is very happy with you.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm using squirt and I like it. Yes need to apply pretty regularly but it's good clean and quiet for me.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm using squirt and I like it. Yes need to apply pretty regularly but it's good clean and quiet for me.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Switched to Squirt from Fenwicks' Stealth. Stealth is good, but the Squirt seems a bit less of a faff, especially as the excess tends to flake off.

Couldn't get on with Pro Gold; I keep my bikes in the house and the bottle of Pro Gold I had left a very strong lingering petrol smell. It also left my chain squeaking like a mouse choir after about 100 miles.