Shoot a certain dentist?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,311
edited October 2015 in The cake stop
Cecil was worth more than a hundred overpaid, overweight dentists.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/50-000-to-hunt-a-dentist/#/story

Unfortunately, Africa is too corrupt for anyone to think that big game hunting funds go towards conservation. The one upside is that it has highlighted the plight of the lion (less then 20,00) and will put conservation back on the media list instead of all the navel gazing and posturing we do.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Yes shoot him, vermin that he is. He has previous for being less than honest about his whereabouts when shooting black bears in Wisconsin, so I think he was fully aware of his actions - hence the hefty fee he paid.
    He is not alone though is he?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3179224/Lion-killer-director-Bank-England-world-reviles-game-hunter-picture-shames-Tory-donor-ex-BBC-governor.html

Perhaps the world will start to get to grips with illegal poaching and the trade in animal products, but sadly, I doubt it.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,514
    as long as it's with an arrow and he's allowed to linger a day or so before being finished off
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    as long as it's with an arrow and he's allowed to linger a day or so before being finished off
    And in the bush so that the lion, hyena etc sniffling around can torture his mind as he lingers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    Out of interest, how many lions were paid for to be looked after through the fee to kill one of them?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I didn't even know bikes n guns was a dentist
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Out of interest, how many lions were paid for to be looked after through the fee to kill one of them?

Even with a legal hunt, according to an expert on R4 this morning, very little, money dissappears in Safari lodge owners and rangers pockets.

But as much as i abhore what this guy has done, we are all a little hypocritical here, China with it demands for trad medicines is responsible for the near extinction of the Rhino and Tiger (less than 3000 left of each) but will any of us stop buying our cycling gear from there? perhaps join WWF ? maybe write to Chinese embassy ... probably not.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    The response to this act of egotistical cruelty has been unusual.

I find the actions of this man (the hunter) contemptible, but by no means unusual.

The conceit of wanting to kill a lured, ageing male lion with a bow is dispicable but to be expected. As is his inability both to kill it and to find it and administer (with rifle) the coup de grace in under 40 hours.

What seems very odd to me is that the wider protesting and furious US public seem to be ignoring the fact that this filthy deed happened in Zimbabwe. In Zimbabwe. In f**king Zimbabwe.

It is a place where bad things happen and have been happening for quite a while now. But the protesters (many of them) want this dolt extradited for illegal hunting. He is cruel, a buffoon, a poor shot and likely also an over-compensator for some real or imagined shortcoming.... But extradition? Death? Rotting in Hell?

There must be bigger issues here.... but in this digital age we get VERY cross about a single event, pour our online vitriol and then shuffle obediently to the next popular outrage. Let this slightly creepy sadist carry on being a dentist and (legally hunting wildlife for his own weird pleasure in the US and move on.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    A trigger happy fat yank

What's new? America has more gun stores than grocer shops.

The only thing he's taken a beautiful animal which had a name and public persona meanwhile the daily average loss of american adult lives is 27 souls from guns.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    Steve Irwin always talked about conserving the apex predators. Without them, Africa would be over-run with herbivores and the continent would be totally wrecked. In the wider scheme of things, one lion in amongst the hundreds of other big cats slaughtered for skins, shot because they are preying on the proliferating and devastating goat population and trophy hunting, the act of killing one lion maybe insignificant but it's symbolic of both the careless disregard of wildlife and an ignorance of their plight.
    If we fail to conserve the apex predator universally, we then start to irrevocably alter the landscape. This will have an effect on global climate. Grassland + too many herbivores becomes savannah and then savannah becomes desert.
    It is high time we looked after the very environment which we rely on to live as a species and by that token, it is high time we stopped placing humans (especially gun touting idiots) above other life forms.

Rick C: I said that Africa is too corrupt in the OP. A fraction of the money raised goes to conservation.
  • mamba80
    Steve Irwin always talked about conserving the apex predators. Without them, Africa would be over-run with herbivores and the continent would be totally wrecked. In the wider scheme of things, one lion in amongst the hundreds of other big cats slaughtered for skins, shot because they are preying on the proliferating and devastating goat population and trophy hunting, the act of killing one lion maybe insignificant but it's symbolic of both the careless disregard of wildlife and an ignorance of their plight.
    If we fail to conserve the apex predator universally, we then start to irrevocably alter the landscape. This will have an effect on global climate. Grassland + too many herbivores becomes savannah and then savannah becomes desert.
    It is high time we looked after the very environment which we rely on to live as a species and by that token, it is high time we stopped placing humans (especially gun touting idiots) above other life forms.

Rick C: I said that Africa is too corrupt in the OP. A fraction of the money raised goes to conservation.

as much as i agree with you, us humans are allowing the destruction of rain forest on an industrial scale, Madagesca has lost 90% and still it continues with no real sign of slowing let alone halting this.
    I dont think we ll do sod all about Tigers/Lions etc like other pressing issues facing mankind, we ll talk about it :(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    That's the argument used by the people who run this.

That they money they got for one or a handful pays for dozens of others.
  • pinno

as much as i agree with you, us humans are allowing the destruction of rain forest on an industrial scale, Madagesca has lost 90% and still it continues with no real sign of slowing let alone halting this.
    I dont think we ll do sod all about Tigers/Lions etc like other pressing issues facing mankind, we ll talk about it :(

Speak for yourself. Donate money - there are hundreds to choose from. You'll/we can justify spending x pounds on a carbon chainset but not a £10 donation to SOS Tiger. You don't have to pick up a gun, go to Africa and shoot poachers. I have written to the Chinese Embassy. You/people have no excuse.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I didn't even know bikes n guns was a dentist

Flashes huge toothy smile :)
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    I'd question the mental state of someone who relishes the idea of tracking down and killing a wild animal, be it a lion or a pheasant or anything in between.
    Where's the thrill? It's hardly competition is it?
    If this dentist's business goes down the plug hole it'll be poetic justice.
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • mamba80

Speak for yourself. Donate money - there are hundreds to choose from. You'll/we can justify spending x pounds on a carbon chainset but not a £10 donation to SOS Tiger. You don't have to pick up a gun, go to Africa and shoot poachers. I have written to the Chinese Embassy. You/people have no excuse.

no you misunderstand me, by "we ll talk about" i mean the people who can actually change anything, the EU, the UN, China, Russia, USof A, even David Cameron, like so many issues, its talk and very little else.
    We sponsor a Snow Leopard and Black rhino via WWF, but you have to be realistic, this and many others organisations can do very little unless there is agreement at world level but there isnt, they cant even reach meaningful agreement on climate change, get that wrong and there are no more humans.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I'd question the mental state of someone who relishes the idea of tracking down and killing a wild animal, be it a lion or a pheasant or anything in between.

100% Agree
  • bikes`n`guns

100% Agree

Are you both vegan ? or do you outsource your animal killing to others ?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437

100% Agree

I'm vegetarian as is all my family, I abhor taking the life of anything, so as you can imagine I have bitten my tongue a number of times with your posts, but each to their own, I might totally disagree with your killing but as a human you have the right to make your own choices.
  • bikes`n`guns
    Don`t feel a need to bite your tongue. I`ve had it all from plenty who disagree.

None of them were vegan though, so I had a problem accepting their criticism was justified I`m afraid.

Leather and wine gums let them all down.
  • pinno

100% Agree

Shooting an animal for pleasure, especially an animal that is in decline is hardly comparable to the mass production and slaughter of domestic animals which are produced for our consumption. Do you understand the difference?

@ mamba80. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/nov/24/tiger-summit-vladimir-putin
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891

100% Agree

No, I'm not vegan. I eat meat. I just question the sanity of a twat who thinks himself big by killing a wild animal without any sort of competition.. It's hardly sport is it? If Minnesota dentist wants to really test himself, how about he goes to a rough part of London and pitches himself against an armed dirt bag? That way the laws of Darwin will really play out..
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • bikes`n`guns
    So are you changing your statement then. To exclude pheasants etc.

I kill plenty animals as do you apparently. Only difference is I take responsibility for the ones I kill.

I fail to see how anyone who will quite happily pay someone to kill a cow or a chicken (and all the stress and suffering that entails) so they can eat it and wear it, can find it in themselves to critisise anyone for killing any animal.

Personally I fail to see how anyone eating a supermarket chicken can live with themselves
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954

I kill plenty animals as do you apparently. Only difference is I take responsibility for the ones I kill.

I fail to see how anyone who will quite happily pay someone to kill a cow or a chicken (and all the stress and suffering that entails) so they can eat it and wear it, can find it in themselves to critisise anyone for killing any animal.

Personally I fail to see how anyone eating a supermarket chicken can live with themselves

I think the issue with the dentist fellow is that it clearly gives him wood. He posts about it and takes pictures like he's a hero, paying $$ for the thrill. He's a bit of a wierdo.
  • pinno

Aren't you holier than thou?

First of all, no domestic farm animals are endangered.
    Secondly, it would be chaos if the entire population of the UK went out with a gun to shoot dinner.
    Thirdly, Intensive farming is probably the only method of feeding a population of 65m +.
    Fourthly, I have been to an abattoir at the end of a lambing cycle and it was a remarkably peaceful place.

Not sure what you are trying to say when you say "Only difference is I take responsibility for the ones I kill". Is that like saying you are big and brave and manly because you shoot animals? I would say the reverse is true.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    I think the issue with the dentist fellow is that it clearly gives him wood.
    I was going to ask how you know this but I'd rather not know.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • see no issue in hunting delicious animals
  • bikes`n`guns

Aren't you holier than thou?

First of all, no domestic farm animals are endangered.
    Secondly, it would be chaos if the entire population of the UK went out with a gun to shoot dinner.
    Thirdly, Intensive farming is probably the only method of feeding a population of 65m +.
    Fourthly, I have been to an abattoir at the end of a lambing cycle and it was a remarkably peaceful place.

Not sure what you are trying to say when you say "Only difference is I take responsibility for the ones I kill". Is that like saying you are big and brave and manly because you shoot animals? I would say the reverse is true.

Holier than thou. Far from it, although that is how I view anti hunting types who eat meat.

It`s nothing to do with being "manly" thats just an attempt to make me appear small. It`s about being happy that I have provided my own food in a manner that I feel comfortable with, given that intensive farming does not sit well with me.

I`ve seen slaughter houses, and hen batteries and neither were peaceful happy places believe me.

I can admire any vegetarian for living a lifestyle that they feel is ethically suited to them, but do not think that preaching or condemning is part of that admirable choice. That says something different about that person IMO.

And I stand by what I say. Anyone who has others kill animals for them has no right to condemn anyone who kills an animal.

Trophy hunting might appear less defensible alongside fox hunting with hound packs, but unless you do not kill animals you have no room to critisise.
  • bikes`n`guns
    Actually that was incorrectly worded.

What I meant was that unless you ensure all animals killed for you are killed humanely, then you have no room to critisise.

Anyone eat KFC. ? All there meat is Halal. I view that as an inhumane method of slaughter, ergo anyone eating that cannot critisise someone else for killing an animal IMO
  • pinno
    Actually...anyone eating that cannot critisise someone else for killing an animal IMO

What part of a 'fat dentist shot a lion which is in decline' don't you understand?
    He didn't shoot the lion to eat it.