which tyre?

koop_71
koop_71 Posts: 33
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
can someone recommend reasonably priced tyres? (not too expensive, its just a hobby, nothing serious........yet?)

currently running Tioga XC's? (fitted by shop)

keep getting punctures (tyre seems very soft?), 4 in 6 weeks ffs.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyres for what conditions, in which size, and define reasonably priced.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • koop_71
    Single track / XC

26"

Up to £25?
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    It's worth checking your pressure properly, I went through a speight of 4 or 5 in a week until it dawned on me, a bit more pressure and it stopped.

Are they punctures from thorns /glass etc or are they pinch flats?

But to answer your question, rocket ron evolution can be had for £25 if you shop around but they are not the most puncture proof tyres around, it's worth being sure of the cause of tth punctures first.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If that's per tyre should be easy enough, per pair, not so much.

Compound is often more important than tread pattern. Often folding bead will use better compounds than wire bead.

Currently I'm using Bontrager XR4 TI, Maxxis Ignitor Exception, Panaracer Rampage and Kenda Small Block 8 on different bikes.
    The best for XC IMO, the Ignitors for normal conditions and the SB8 for hard dry conditions, although I used them right through winter - pretty rubbish in mud.
    For rougher trails, the Bontrager or Panaracers (which are very similar in tread pattern to Kenda Nevegal).

But be prepared for a million different suggestions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • koop_71
    It's worth checking your pressure properly, I went through a speight of 4 or 5 in a week until it dawned on me, a bit more pressure and it stopped.

Are they punctures from thorns /glass etc or are they pinch flats?

But to answer your question, rocket ron evolution can be had for £25 if you shop around but they are not the most puncture proof tyres around, it's worth being sure of the cause of tth punctures first.

always thorns, wish I knew exactly where I pick them up? always same type (and I use different routes :cry: )
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    You say the tyres feel very soft, is that because there's not enough air in them?

It maybe that your tyres are rubbish, but equally it may be down to down to a lack of pressure, although that seems unlikely as you'd be getting pinch flats rather than penetrative punctures.

Have you checked inside the tyre carcass for debris, stuck thorns etc?
  • koop_71
    You say the tyres feel very soft, is that because there's not enough air in them?

It maybe that your tyres are rubbish, but equally it may be down to down to a lack of pressure, although that seems unlikely as you'd be getting pinch flats rather than penetrative punctures.

Have you checked inside the tyre carcass for debris, stuck thorns etc?

It's the compound that feels soft and I check insides everytime.

Think it's just cheap tyres tbh?