Numb Fingers

hobbo31
hobbo31 Posts: 107
I'm after some help I'm riding a Giant Defy Advanced Pro and after after about 30km I'm getting a numbness in my two small fingers on my left hand can anyone explain how to stop it or why it is happening
Giant Trance X1 2008
Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
Ribble Road Bike
Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015

Comments

• bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    Hi

Have a look at this link. It might explain what's causing it
    http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_3_2.htm

regards
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    Thanks for that it explains it very well, will just have to try different things to stop it
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Do you wear a watch? Have you tried loosening it or taking it off if you do?

I got a very numb thumb earlier this week and took the watch off and put it loosely on the other and it went. I put that down to cycling uses muscles in the arm which expand with blood flow which means a loose watch put on before exercise can become tight after it.

Just a very quick thing to check but it is more likely to be something else. Elimination of other things only helps identify the real cause. What mitts do you use? enough padding or too much or in the wrong place? Padding does vary widely across brands and models I found when I needed to find a pair with padding in a specific location to protect following a broken knuckle on the index finger.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    'fraid I don't have a solution but I have exactly the same bike and exactly the same problem.

Which is a little odd.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days