Disc brake wheelsets

porlyworly
porlyworly Posts: 441
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
What are my options with regards to upgrading to stock disc wheels that came with my 2014 Forme Calver CX Sport?

Will be used exclusively on roads for commuting duties (will use the stock wheels for off road).

Looked last year and there were very limited options (ones I remember are Shimano RX05, Kinesis Crosslight, Mavic Aksium one).

Anything new since then? Market seems very slow to pick up
First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    If you've got 3-400 pounds to spend, look at some bespoke builds. It's worth getting a decent build for discs, as the rims won't wear out and you want stuff which is problem free and can be serviced and maintained easily.

Hope hubs, a set of wide decent rims that can be converted to tubeless and some last-forever spokes like DT comp or Sapim race... Sapim D-Light if you want to save a few grams
    left the forum March 2023
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Still a bit limited. Handbuilt maybe one of the better options.
    DT Swiss R23 and R24 Disc are an option.

Or handbuilt. Bagworth isn't far from where Ugo's moving to ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ugo.santalucia

Or handbuilt. Bagworth isn't far from where Ugo's moving to ;)

Is it? Haven't got a clue of Midlands geography... :oops:
    we will most likely relocate in sunny Solihull
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have some DT Swiss 240 centrelock hubs that are eBay bound if you're interested Porly.
    Hang some Stans Grail rims off them and you've got a very capable wheelset.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Handbuilts sound good but I wouldn't have a clue on hubs / rims / spokes etc. would need a Ugo to advise & put them together! When do you move Ugo ;)

I'm currently using avid clean sweep g2 rotors which are 6 point rather than centre lock, guessing I could change rotors relatively easily.

Always happy to pay for quality rather than buying cheap and getting tat but in this example the bike itself isn't the lightest so probably not much point spending big money on wheels (like putting lipstick on a pig - it's still a pig).

Saw these on bikediscount.de, would match the white frame, cheap as chips but again centrelock.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-wh-rx05-wheelset-white-85403/wg_id-4728

The bike has Avid BB5 road platinum mechanical disc brakes and currently running Avid clean sweep 160 G2Cs rotors, I take it getting centrelock rotors wouldn't be much of an issue (or expense) that would be compatible with the Avid BB5's?
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Yep - definitely consider handbuilt, the range of factory-built wheels is still pretty poor, and as Ugo points out they should last almost forever so it's worth getting something decent if you can afford to.

Novatec hubs are pretty good value for the money if you're on a budget, and the bearings and freehubs (ie the bits that wear out) are pretty easy to replace. Make sure you get the right rear dropout spacing; I'm guessing manufacturers will be standardising on 135mm by now, but there are some disc frames out there with a 130mm spacing.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bagworth is just off the M1 on the opposite side to Leicester!

Consider also A2Z hubs, lighter than hope, very nicely made (by Chin Haur), its what I have on my MTB (front).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.