Was Alp DHuez really shut to cars for past week ?

sherer
sherer Posts: 2,460
edited August 2015 in Pro race
Keep hearing Carlton Kirby going on and on and on about this saying it's been shut to traffic for the last 7 days, but sounds like that could be a load of *******s. Surely if I had a hotel booked from Thurs or Fri I could drive my car up there and check in ? Seems like completely shutting it would cause too many issues and may be more a case of not letting cars drive up and park there.

Comments

• lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Was open Tuesday
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    He was also on about them making a late decision on using the Galibier as late as this week, I thought they'd ruled it out over a month ago.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sherer
    so seems it was open then and this is Kirby assuming something he's read on twitter is fact.

Shame he doesn't check these things before saying them, and then repeating them again and again.

Did have a quick look on google and couldn't see anything there about the Alp being closed to traffic, although this was on Sunday when I looked
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,597
    Shows what you get for listening to Carlton Kirby.

But it's OK, he's MUCH better than Rob Hatch, Joel says so ;)
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    so seems it was open then and this is Kirby assuming something he's read on twitter is fact.

Shame he doesn't check these things before saying them, and then repeating them again and again.

Did have a quick look on google and couldn't see anything there about the Alp being closed to traffic, although this was on Sunday when I looked
    Was it possibly some sort of confusion with the Lacets de Montvernier? I think that climb was closed to traffic at least on the day the race went up it - the road is so narrow that I guess they didn't want to risk a breakdown blocking it.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

Was it possibly some sort of confusion with the Lacets de Montvernier? I think that climb was closed to traffic at least on the day the race went up it - the road is so narrow that I guess they didn't want to risk a breakdown blocking it.

We rode up the Lacets last Monday. There were huge concrete blocks in the way at the top and bottom - you could get past on a bike, but that was it. No idea how long they had been there for.
  • sherer

Not sure but that was closed to team cars as well wasn't it ?

Kirby really could do with researching the stuff he comes out with rather than taking twitter as fact.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873

Kirby really could do with researching the stuff he comes out with rather than taking twitter as fact.

Lacets de Montvernier had been shut to cars for a while with the concrete blocks the french use down the central reservation of the motorways. I had read team cars wouldn't go up it on Stage 18 but they did - only the caravanne didn't go up. We watched the race from the 18th hairpin which is about 250m after the picturesque part of the climb ends and after where the top of the climb had been blocked off previously.
  • sherer

Lacets de Montvernier had been shut to cars for a while with the concrete blocks the french use down the central reservation of the motorways. I had read team cars wouldn't go up it on Stage 18 but they did - only the caravanne didn't go up. We watched the race from the 18th hairpin which is about 250m after the picturesque part of the climb ends and after where the top of the climb had been blocked off previously.

Sounds like that is where Kirby got confused then.

Lucky ******* for getting to watch the race live.

With all the hotels and facilities at the top of Alp Dhuez I just couldn't see them closing the road to traffic for a week
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I try to block out Kirby but I thought he said the Alpe had been closed for 5 days to Motor Caravans as the parks at the top were full of them.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Dorset_Boy

Sounds like that is where Kirby got confused then.

Lucky ******* for getting to watch the race live.

With all the hotels and facilities at the top of Alp Dhuez I just couldn't see them closing the road to traffic for a week

Watched Stage 19 from just after the 4 km to go banner (which was 100m from where we were staying - as were Astana, Trek & Katusha) and Stage 20 from turn 1 on the alpe (the final hairpin!)!!! :D

Nibbles had a 7 am drugs test on Saturday, and Vino and his boys were 2 doors along our corridor. Astana tight as anything about giving out freebies, Katusha happy to give out bidons, but wouldn't swap my Aeroad CF for an Aeroad CF SLX, and Trek must have had invisible support crew! 8)

All in a cracking week doing the Etape, then the Lacets & Col du Chaussy again, Telegraphe & Galibier, Madeline & the climb back up to Le Corbier / La Toussuire a couple of times - over 13,000m of climbing in the week!
  • sherer
    sounds like you had a great time. One year I will make it out there to watch the race and do some cycling. Having a French sportive in the Alps several years ago I've already found out i'm not quick enough to complete them in the time available.

Must have been cool to stay in same hotel as the teams though
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    ... Katusha happy to give out bidons, but wouldn't swap my Aeroad CF for an Aeroad CF SLX,...

Love the fact that you even tried. During the London Olympics a few times on my commute I rode alongside some team transport / support cars and told them I had punctured and any chance of a bike change? Got a bidon and a cap for my cheek over the weeks
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    But it's OK, he's MUCH better than Rob Hatch, Joel says so ;)

Phew, thankfully we have that sorted out.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    All in a cracking week doing the Etape, then the Lacets & Col du Chaussy again, Telegraphe & Galibier, Madeline & the climb back up to Le Corbier / La Toussuire a couple of times - over 13,000m of climbing in the week!

Must have passed each other at some point as my week was similar, though added in Crox de Fer, Glandon and Alp D'Huez and didn't go anywhere near La Toussuire after the Etape!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    You're back.

How was it?

Beerz soon?
  • dish_dash
    You're back.

How was it?

Beerz soon?

Fooking hard but very good week.

yes to beerz... in ZA next week
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    You're back.

How was it?

Beerz soon?

Fooking hard but very good week.

yes to beerz... in ZA next week

Ok.

Will have a new phone number soon (long story) so PM me on here.
  • Dorset_Boy

Must have passed each other at some point as my week was similar, though added in Crox de Fer, Glandon and Alp D'Huez and didn't go anywhere near La Toussuire after the Etape!

Where did you stay? We were in the Odalys apartments in Le Corbier, and had Astana, Katusha & Trek with us on Thursday & Friday. Vino was in the apartment 2 doors away. Nibbles had a 7 am dope test on Saturday - one of our group shared the lift with him and the two UCI testers. Astana tight as anything on freebies, couple of bidons from Katusha, nothing from Trek.

Watched Stage 18 at the top of the Lacets, stage 19 in Le Corbier just after the 4 kms sign and Stage 20 in the hillside by turn 1 on the Alpe.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Just to throw another piece on information or rather a related question, but isn't there another road that goes up to the Alpe. They therefore could have shut off the main climb a week before as Carlton said and allowed access to the resort from the other road?
  • dish_dash

Where did you stay? We were in the Odalys apartments in Le Corbier, and had Astana, Katusha & Trek with us on Thursday & Friday. Vino was in the apartment 2 doors away. Nibbles had a 7 am dope test on Saturday - one of our group shared the lift with him and the two UCI testers. Astana tight as anything on freebies, couple of bidons from Katusha, nothing from Trek.

Watched Stage 18 at the top of the Lacets, stage 19 in Le Corbier just after the 4 kms sign and Stage 20 in the hillside by turn 1 on the Alpe.

We were in Saint Sorlin. So missed all the team/finish stuff which was a mega shame. Roads were shut from 10 all three days (including for cyclists!) and I didn't fancy the La Toussuire climb or the traffic again after the debacle that was trying to get to and from Saturday's sign in. It's amazing how many cyclists are unable to drive in the hills... I had to pull out my Indian overtaking skills to get back at a decent hour...

Instead got the ski lift up to Croix de Fer and then walked down the valley. Watched from the uphill side of the Glandon on Thursday and Friday, different side each day. Had to shoot to Paris on Saturday via some vineyards otherwise would have had a cracking view from our apartment. Friday was a much better day - saw Nibs attack on the road below and the peloton was in bits by the top of the glandon...

Was noticeable that most of the team cars had their windows firmly shut! :lol:
  • dish_dash
    Just to throw another piece on information or rather a related question, but isn't there another road that goes up to the Alpe. They therefore could have shut off the main climb a week before as Carlton said and allowed access to the resort from the other road?

I rode Alp D'Huez on Weds. Was most definitely open... endless stream of cyclists, cars, buses... there was a very annoying Dutch truck which kept driving past blaring its horn...
  • sherer

I rode Alp D'Huez on Weds. Was most definitely open... endless stream of cyclists, cars, buses... there was a very annoying Dutch truck which kept driving past blaring its horn...

This is why I get annoyed with Kirby. He comes out with a load of nonsense and then repeats it several times.

The other year during a one day race the lead guys in the peloton signalled because of an island in the road and Kirby said they were calling off the chase.

Can't the producer check some of these facts before they go to air so they seem more professional
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Kirby is a 'blowhard' who will stop at nothing until he has shared his opinion on all and sundry. Facts are not necessarily of relevance to him!
  • Kirby's not the only one.

Brian Smith comes out with some right old guff sometimes in an effort to show he knows all the teams have been doing in training, recons etc. A simple look through tweets soon shows when he's talking through his @rse and making it up.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I think the Col de Sarenne is the alternative route to get up there, but it looks like a much smaller road and wouldn't be able to handle the normal traffic load (especially larger vehicles).
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    This is why I get annoyed with Kirby. He comes out with a load of nonsense and then repeats it several times.
    Kirby reminds me of an insurance inspector that sold those little life cash policies with the reciept book.
    His favourite expression was "If you throw enough shyte at the wall then some of it might stick"
    Kirby mentions enough names from his program to say we told you he would win as one of his names crosses the line. He gets so excited about it too.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If they closed the Alpe for a week, how would they get the beer up there to refill the bars ?
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    I stayed in an apartment up the Alpe. We had to show booking & keys at 10.30pm on Thursday night. No checks at 8pm Friday. There was quite a lot of space at the top, so I think they left it open for longer than originally planned (we saw something online that it was residents only after 8pm Thursday until race day)

It was also due to be shut 8am-midday on Sunday, teams left at 9.15 and road was open again by 11.

The worst but was the gendarmes stopping riders on Glandon Thurs/Fri at same time as cars were banned - 10am. WTF?

Great trip, I highly recommend the Alpe to anyone.
  • dish_dash
    The worst but was the gendarmes stopping riders on Glandon Thurs/Fri at same time as cars were banned - 10am. WTF?

Yep! Crazy. Met various riders melting on Thursday as they'd gone out for an early morning ride and then been stopped on the way home without sunscreen etc.

Friday spent the morning watching the gendarmes blow whistles and force cyclists to walk down off the Croix de Fer... no joke at 9%...