Bad Sleep

desweller
desweller Posts: 5,175
Does anyone have any tips on improving sleep?

The lengths of my rides are increasing as I build for the Wales in a Day event in September, but it's becoming harder to maintain my concentration over the course of a long ride as I feel so mentally tired from the start.

I am finding my sleep schedule becoming very disrupted. I often wake during the night and sometimes sleepwalk, although I've recently been using a hop pillow that seems to have improved (although not eliminated) this.

Sugar in my diet is a problem, I am doing my best to cut this right out as I'm sure it is a major contributor.

I don't really want to go to my GP, I have asked her advice before and she prescribed anti-depressants which made me feel very lethargic and caused me to gain a lot of weight.

Any other ideas?
- - - - - - - - - -
On Strava.{/url}

Comments

• Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Cannae beat a good Sherman.
  • desweller
    Worn it down to a nub in pursuit of a good kip, your honour. I was starting to get disappointed that no-one had made the suggestion though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Disrupted sleep patterns can be down to overtraining?

You mention lack of concentration and sugar being a problem in your diet? The former could mean you have overdone the training which means back of the quantity or intensity or both for a few days and see if things improve?

The body needs to recharge and recover from the stress your putting on it and you are being given signs of the body needing a rest?

You mention sugar being a problem? Lay off the sugar snacks/drinks as well as caffeine at least 3 hours before you hit your pit.

BTW I'd give consideration to changing your GP as you have questions or reservations in your GP's ability which in itself is a significant barrier in seeking informed medical advice in the future.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    My sleep was disrupted last night because I was having a dream that Contador and Quintana were having a race to see who could swim the fastest. Bizarre.
  • desweller
    Thanks Slowmart. All good advice.

Mark, who won the race?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}