Vintage Forum?

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
Hi, is it possible to add a 'Vintage bikes' forum to the website. I have recently got into restoring vintage bikes and cannot see anywhere on this website (my go-to website for all bike related info) about this topic. It would be useful for sharing tips etc. I have registered with another website (sorry) which has a whole subsection devoted to this but it is US based. I would post a topic on here to gauge interest but am not sure which forum would be best. Cheers. Phil

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but as the bicycle has hardly changed over the years is it really needed?

if you want to do a (re)build thread there is your (road) bike section.

i will add to the things to re think about.

there used to be one but it was to that well used and was only really used for tec issues and they are not really any different to current bikes. Ok rod brakes and some of the very early gear set ups are not the same but sill just a tec/workshop question.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • AndyEd
    AndyEd Posts: 171
    Hi Phil,

I think a Vintage Bikes forum is a good idea. Where I agree with Nick that many of the problems encountered and solutions to them will be equitable with contemporary bikes, there is also the over riding idea that vintage bikes have a different vibe. They often (not always) attract a different kind of person than your classic roadie or mountain biker. BikeRadar forums are looking for growth and to serve the needs of potential contributors if this is a potential area for it, then of course we are interested.

Nick, do you agree on that basis? If you do, where would such a subforum sit?

Cheers,
    Andy
    BikeRadar Community
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'd think if there was going to be one it would sit under the road section if not stand alone. Mountain bikes may be considered old enough to be 'retro' but they are hardly vintage.
  • nicklouse
    I'd think if there was going to be one it would sit under the road section if not stand alone. Mountain bikes may be considered old enough to be 'retro' but they are hardly vintage.
    can of worms.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    can of worms.
    Very much so. Working in the classic car game I know how much people get upset by these things. But there is a limit to what's vintage or classic, definitions are very hard to pin down. I do not consider a Metro a classic, except a 6R4 of course. Stand alone 'vintage and retro' might be best.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    it already exists and it is called retrobike.co.uk/forum
    left the forum March 2023
  • AndyEd

That's a nice busy forum there. That's a good sign. Thanks Ugo. So it looks like if we do go ahead and serve the Vintage masses it would be rude not to serve Retro too. Anyone on here with a special love for grifters and the like?
    BikeRadar Community
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

That's a nice busy forum there. That's a good sign. Thanks Ugo. So it looks like if we do go ahead and serve the Vintage masses it would be rude not to serve Retro too. Anyone on here with a special love for grifters and the like?

IMO the retro bike thing is cooling off... it was super hot 2-3 years ago, when prices of retro components on Ebay were crazy...
    left the forum March 2023
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    My interest was piqued by some friends who rode the eroica Britannia recently, which is a whole festival for vintage bikes and I am planning to ride it next year on a bike I have restored myself, rather than just buying one. I've had a look at retrobike.co.uk, but prefer the format of this website. If it increases traffic to this website surely it doesn't matter if overlaps with another? If a vintage/ retro (personally I'm not fussy) forum doesn't get much take up you can always delete it!
  • AndyEd
    Ok for now we'll stick to vintage, if the forum becomes overrun with retro then is the time to look at splitting it off. I made it, it's under road as advised. Happy posting :)
    BikeRadar Community
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Doesn't seem to appear in the main Board Index page, only when I click the Road forum page

(Chrome/Win 8.1 if that makes a difference)
  • nicklouse
    Doesn't seem to appear in the main Board Index page, only when I click the Road forum page

(Chrome/Win 8.1 if that makes a difference)
    And you can't post in it if you find it.

We are aware and have raised it with people who now fix these things.
  • AndyEd
    Should be fixed now, any more problems please let me know by PM or in this thread.
    BikeRadar Community