1x11 & 27.5 Wheels for a new build

sheepsteeth
sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am buying a new Bionicon edison frame set but with upgraded rear shock and black stanchions on the metric hlr fork. So this colour frame:

evo-grey-yellow-02.jpg

with this suspension:

framekit_blank-456x456.png

There isnt anything really wrong with my current one but i just fancy something new and the new edison looks superb.

I was going to buy an off the peg build which to be fair look very well specced but i like to fettle and i have some parts which i can donate to the build from my own bike. turns out my current build sheet will cost about 500 quid less than the off the peg model.

So, ive not been around bikes much in the last couple of years really so i am learning about some new stuff. as such i could do with some advice about the merits of 1x11 and 27.5 wheels.

I currently run 2x9 with 22 36 at the front and something like 11-32 at the back. it does what i do fine and im tempted to just move the drivetrain across. How will i find the gear spread with 1x11 using something like 32t front and 10-42?

next, 26.5 wheels: what is a good of the peg wheelset for around 500 quid? that being said, i hve looked at a set of superstarcomponent wheels for 250 quid which look a decent weight and spec so is there any reason why i shouldnt buy those?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume you mean 650B (erroneously called 27.5") wheels?

It's looking like 26" wheels will be getting rarer going forward, so for a new build 650B makes a lot of sense, they roll a bit faster than 26 without losing much of the alertness.

For a trail bike 1x (10 or 11) is really the way to go, 32 would be a bit short geared, 34 or 36 makes more sense, it will give better gear spread than you have now (using an expander with 1x10). (Put the numbers in an excel spreadsheet, easy enough).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Superstar wheels are OK but I had loads of problems with freehubs. I would get a set of Hope Tech Enduro wheels, if you shop around you can find them under £350
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    My Hope wheels came to £349.90 with the 148x12 conversion kit for the rear, so that's spot on really :)

Really impressed with them at Gisburn yesterday and you don't need a bell with a freehub like that!
  • sheepsteeth

It's looking like 26" wheels will be getting rarer going forward, so for a new build 650B makes a lot of sense, they roll a bit faster than 26 without losing much of the alertness.

For a trail bike 1x (10 or 11) is really the way to go, 32 would be a bit short geared, 34 or 36 makes more sense, it will give better gear spread than you have now (using an expander with 1x10). (Put the numbers in an excel spreadsheet, easy enough).

You are right, shows how much i know!! i do of course mean 27.5 and have updated the title :oops:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068

I don't disagree that 1x10/11 is a good idea on a trail bike but I dispute the gearing range suggestion.

Even with a 32t to a 10-42 cassette you will be just shy of your lowest ration on a 22/36 to 11-32 and about comparable at the top end so there would be very little incentive if current gearing works to go for bigger than a 32t.

I run a 32t oval ring on an 11-42 10 speed cassette and definitely find I could use a lower winch gear on occasion instead of having to beef it up hills. Probably be OK in UK with it though and maybe could go higher depending on usual terrain.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    You can get a set of hope hoops With any hub colour,choice of rim, choice of rear axle spacing and choice of freehub (including xd driver for sram) for 307.50 from Freeborn.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    next, 26.5 wheels: what is a good of the peg wheelset for around 500 quid? that being said, i hve looked at a set of superstarcomponent wheels for 250 quid which look a decent weight and spec so is there any reason why i shouldnt buy those?

I have these...

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/am-carbon-wheelset.htm

Very excellent! I'd buy them again.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148

Why erroneous?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Angus Young

Why erroneous?

That's what I was wondering.
  • The Rookie
    If you assume the 26" wheel standard is correct (its the first MTB wheel standard), its such that with a 2" tyre fitted the rolling radius is 26", a '29er' is actually 28.5" with that same nominal 2" tyre size but called a 29er.

650B falls between the two, for marketing they wanted it to look like the best of both worlds and called it 27.5" as in half way between 26" and a 29er (in fact a 28.5" of course) but it's not nor is it even a 27.25", in fact the rim is 25mm bigger than a 26" wheel so it should be a 27" and not a 27.5".

I know a 2" tyre now is pretty small, but 26" use bigger tyres as well and we haven't thought it a good idea to suddenly call then 26.5" because of that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    If you assume the 26" wheel standard is correct (its the first MTB wheel standard), its such that with a 2" tyre fitted the rolling radius is 26", a '29er' is actually 28.5" with that same nominal 2" tyre size but called a 29er.

650B falls between the two, for marketing they wanted it to look like the best of both worlds and called it 27.5" as in half way between 26" and a 29er (in fact a 28.5" of course) but it's not nor is it even a 27.25", in fact the rim is 25mm bigger than a 26" wheel so it should be a 27" and not a 27.5".

I know a 2" tyre now is pretty small, but 26" use bigger tyres as well and we haven't thought it a good idea to suddenly call then 26.5" because of that!

Ah, you mean, if you want to be pedantic. Got it. Meanwhile, back in the real world, 650B is also known (not erroneously) as 27.5.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    26 & 29 is erroneous, 27.5 is actually 27.5 when using an average MTB tyre. Yes its a marketing trick to call it something going against the established trend, but its not incorrect. Calling it 650B is as 'erroneous' as the 650B standard was established for a nominal 26" wheelsize. So if you call it 650B you're also saying 26" if you go with the established protocol for such things - neither 650B or 27.5 fit with the long-established naming standards.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And here I was getting excited over my first 10 speed 29er back in the 70's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie

Ah, you mean, if you want to be pedantic. Got it. Meanwhile, back in the real world, 650B is also known (not erroneously) as 27.5.
    So you'll be calling 26 a 26.5 from here on then?
  • Angus Young

So you'll be calling 26 a 26.5 from here on then?

No, I'll be calling them '26'. Because that's what they're called.
  • Angus Young

I have these...

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/am-carbon-wheelset.htm

Very excellent! I'd buy them again.

Pinkbike have just posted a review...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/superstar-am-carbon-tesla-evo-wheelset-review-2015.html
  • sheepsteeth
    thats a very nice review. I am a bit afraid of carbon rims, it is irrational and based in me becoming a modern version of an old fashioned bike rider: i dont really like too much change.

That said, I have gone 1x11 using sram gx shifter and mech. I cant see the real benefit for me with the much more expensive groupsets. id have less money and a tiny bit less weight but I am a big old unit so the saving of a few grams for that much extra money doesnt compute for me (this may be a different equation for many others of course).

Wheels wise, i went with a superstar build using Tesla hubs and Stan's flow ex rims. They came in at 350 quid and i am looking forward to their arrival. I had toyed with the idea of some hope hubs but if i am honest, the sets i have had before were too noisy.