Rear derailleur finished ?

keithc440
keithc440 Posts: 277
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I've an Ultegra 9 speed rear derailleur that is not springing back like it should. I've tried oil and manipulating it to and fro but basically the spring has gone. Is it a lost cause or would a good soak in white spirit cure the problem ?

Also if I have to replace it will a 10 speed shifter work with 9 speed ?

Comments

• Zerotails99
    Zerotails99 Posts: 127
    Just get yourself a new 9 speed derailleur. I wouldn't mix and match 9 and 10 speed components. The 10 speed components are designed for a more narrow chain. You can still make it work but you may get noisier drivetrain and crappy shifting.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Can the spring be replaced ?
  • Probably worth a call / visit to your LBS. You'd be amazed at the collection of odds and ends a typical LBS servicing department has in their "spares" box. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't have several springs.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Just get yourself a new 9 speed derailleur. I wouldn't mix and match 9 and 10 speed components. The 10 speed components are designed for a more narrow chain. You can still make it work but you may get noisier drivetrain and crappy shifting.

Shimano 9 and 10 speed derailleurs are identical.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You can get new Shimano 9 speed mechs, but that would mean dropping down to Sora. I'd just replace it with a Shimano 10 speed mech.

I was trying to sort my 105 5600 rear shifting recently and discovered the jockey wheels nearly toothless and stiff to turn, but at the same time with far too much sideways movement. When I tried to remove them the bolts rounded off.

For £25 I have a new 5700 mech. That with new cables and a straightened mech hanger make it feel like a brand new bike!
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    My ultegra 10speed was like that. Followed the park tools guide and it was working like new again.

It'll just be that the grease has been washed out of the pivot bolts. Which then get gummed up with dirt and corrosion. You just need to open them, clean them and regreased. Pretty easy, but it helps if you have a bench vice for doing the upper one where it screws into the derailleur hanger.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-overhaul

Just make sure you wind the derailleur with the direction of the springs when you're re-assembling - pretty easy, and if it seems like it's gubbed anyway, you've nothing to lose.