Internet thinks it's in the USA of A

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2015 in The cake stop
I'd like to think I am reasonably useful with computers, but alas no longer.

I've just moved house, the internet used to be supplied by BT at the old address and now we have Virgin Media.

For some reason whenever I use Google search or head direct to websites (rapha was the example I used), it automatically links me to US sites (and prices, and thus overseas delivery back to the UK). I was browsing ebay having been directed from google and all the items listed were located in the US, with 10quid delivery charges.

Computer (and ipad and iphone) are the same and my phone seems to be fine when using the office wifi.

Any ideas to remind it that it is in the UK would be much appreciated. Is this an IP address issue? Or Cookies? I haven't tried the BBC website yet so not sure which version that shows me.

Oh, and Google maps knows it's in London, at the right address.

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Your IP address comes up with you being in the UK, so the only thing I can think of is that you may have changed your country code or even your keyboard country.

Can't think why otherwise.
  • Anonymous
    Seems that my IP address at home (im at work now) could be a USA one. God knows how to fix that?!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Seems that my IP address at home (im at work now) could be a USA one. God knows how to fix that?!

your isp - virgin media gives your home router its ip address, so if thats whats wrong, speak to them, i doubt you ll be the only one effected.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Ahh the joys of websites autodetecting your country. Whilst I can see why they do it it can be a pain in the rear.

I work in the UK. The company's internet connection is routed through Germany (we have sister companies in Germany in the same conglomerate). I keep getting websites thinking I'm in Germany. Many sites have an option to manually change location which is nice. Some don't and make usability nil.

OP, you can make your browser use a UK Google search if you use the browser's search box. You can also set the Google website to use the UK search. As to why your location detection is messed up, you would have to contact your ISP.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers. Will contact ISP.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    ip address blocks get sold/exchanged as the pool of addresses is getting low, it could be that virgin have been buying up used range from another country, or maybe liberty global have simply given virgin some of their usa space

either way, if virgin don't update things to say 'uk' the addresses will translate to their old location, it can also happen if someone is using out of date location data, though i'd expect google to be up to date so this seems less likely

try accessing bbc iplayer from home and see if it'll let you watch dads army, if it tells you to hop off johnny foreigner then it's time to get on the blower to virgin and start complaining
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    I think checking BBC iPlayer is the solution. Cheers sungod et al. Can Virgin update my IP info to say it's in the UK or will I be assigned a new one?
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    If you Google 'where is my IP' you can use one of the many sites that will tell you the location of your IP address.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    I think checking BBC iPlayer is the solution. Cheers sungod et al. Can Virgin update my IP info to say it's in the UK or will I be assigned a new one?

you public ip is allocated on the fly by virgin's central systems, if it is getting tagged as usa then it'll be part of a larger address block with the same issue, virgin needs to fix that by updating records, which isn't an instantaneous thing

if this is the issue, your biggest challenge may be wading through the multiple layers of ivr and help desk to reach someone who will be able to help without asking if you've tried rebooting a pc etc.

this site will tell you the apparent location of an ip according to multiple databases...

https://www.iplocation.net/

...for mine they are close but none is correct, but as long as the country is ok it's not a problem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    Tried again when I got home last night and it seems to have fixed itself!