Sram BB creaking?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Press fit 86 Sram in BMC. Should I use grease on the cups, the BB is carbon with no alu sleeve? Instructions say dry. I cant make it creak but owner says it does creak badly up hills but he's 18kg heavier than me. Bearings feel fine and they are the ceramic version.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Press fit 86 Sram in BMC. Should I use grease on the cups, the BB is carbon with no alu sleeve? Instructions say dry. I cant make it creak but owner says it does creak badly up hills but he's 18kg heavier than me. Bearings feel fine and they are the ceramic version.
    Is the owner even sure it is the BB creaking, IME more often than not it is something else creaking (pedals/cleats, over tight skewers etc.)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Is the owner even sure it is the BB creaking, IME more often than not it is something else creaking (pedals/cleats, over tight skewers etc.)
    Ive already asked him that as happened before when the BB was new and it was rear mech hanger! Its only been fitted for about 3 months
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My carbon Scott has a press-fit Shimano BB. Factory fitted but I believe it was done dry as Scott recommend for aftermarket fitting. No creaks 2 years on. I'm a fairly lightweight shortarse though...

Can you ride alongside the owner so he can demonstrate the problem and to see if you can pinpoint where the noise is actually coming from? Unfortunately there are lots of potential sources.

Chainring bolts, pedals, cleats, saddle, clamp, seatpost, QR / dropouts, stem, bars, headset etc etc
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    My carbon Scott has a press-fit Shimano BB. Factory fitted but I believe it was done dry as Scott recommend for aftermarket fitting. No creaks 2 years on. I'm a fairly lightweight shortarse though...

Can you ride alongside the owner so he can demonstrate the problem and to see if you can pinpoint where the noise is actually coming from? Unfortunately there are lots of potential sources.

Chainring bolts, pedals, cleats, saddle, clamp, seatpost, QR / dropouts, stem, bars, headset etc etc
    ^^This except it's a Canyon that is 1 year old and I am also a lightweight shortarse. :)
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    With carbon BB shells I install press fit cups using a dab of silicone grease. It doesn't affect carbon (some petroleum greases can), helps stops creaks and makes installation/removal easier.

It might be worth a try.