Doubling Up

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
edited August 2015 in Pro race
There's a 5 week gap between the Giro and TDF, and a 4 week gap between TDF and Vuelta.

So can any of the main GC guys really target the Vuelta given that they've all done the TDF?

Comments

• robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    A 40k TT and a 3rd week which isn't as savage as far as summit finishes go in Vuelta will probably appeal to Froome. Valverde and Quintana already pencilled in and I'd imagine Nibali might well ride it too. Landa and Aru from Astana will probably ride too.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I think so. Other than Aru/Landa (and they may even be working for Nibali) they'll be racing against guys that have also done the Tour.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I want to see Contador do it.

I think Contador just wants to see the inside of his eyelids...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    Froome won't ride the Vuelta. He has to milk the post tour crits and marketing opportunities. Same is true for every tour winner.

Contador is exhausted.

Nibali might ride as he seemed to be coming to form.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Be interesting to see how Valverde and Quintana work in the Vuelta. Nairo has just proved he is the stronger of the two but it's Valverde's home race.

Froome tried to do the Vuelta after completing the Tour in 2013 and it didn't go well, so I think he'll probably take a rest. Would they go with Henao or Nieve?

Nibali should have been a definite because he was getting better and better towards the end of the Tour, but after the falling out with Vino you don't know. They might choose to go with Landa.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Be interesting to see how Valverde and Quintana work in the Vuelta. Nairo has just proved he is the stronger of the two but it's Valverde's home race.

Froome tried to do the Vuelta after completing the Tour in 2013 and it didn't go well, so I think he'll probably take a rest. Would they go with Henao or Nieve?

Nibali should have been a definite because he was getting better and better towards the end of the Tour, but after the falling out with Vino you don't know. They might choose to go with Landa.

Froome rode the Vuelta in 11, 12 and 14 but not 13 - it was 2012 when he visibly weakened later into the race and the full effects of the Tour kicked in. Sky have made much of the Vuelta as Tour preparation so I think he may well ride it even if not for the GC.
  • Be interesting to see how Valverde and Quintana work in the Vuelta. Nairo has just proved he is the stronger of the two but it's Valverde's home race.

Henao - depends whether he's staying or not. His contract is up this year, as is cousin Sebastian. Given his unhappiness with the way Sky handled the whole blood values thing, I'm not certain he wont be off to pastures new (and taking Sebastian with him)

Isn't Aru definitely riding the Vuelta?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Contador will do the Vuelta, he'll get a nice million from Oleg for racing all three, remember that was the deal
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I'm always surprised that Giro - Tour is seen as almost impossible (if riding to win) but Tour - Vuelta entirely plausible
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Contador will do the Vuelta, he'll get a nice million from Oleg for racing all three, remember that was the deal

Wasn't it winning all three?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Anonymous
    I'm always surprised that Giro - Tour is seen as almost impossible (if riding to win) but Tour - Vuelta entirely plausible

In my mind it's because most don't ride the Giro because they want to be fresh for the tour, so when someone comes to the tour with the Giro in their legs they are less fresh than those doing the tour only. Then when it comes to the Vuelta, most people have been at the tour and it means they are all coming to the vuelta with the tour in their legs. Does that make sense?
    Crozza wrote:

It was riding them but I think it was only if all 4 did it:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/vuelta-a-espana/oleg-tinkov-offers-e1m-top-riders-ride-three-grand-tours-139113
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614

In my mind it's because most don't ride the Giro because they want to be fresh for the tour, so when someone comes to the tour with the Giro in their legs they are less fresh than those doing the tour only. Then when it comes to the Vuelta, most people have been at the tour and it means they are all coming to the vuelta with the tour in their legs. Does that make sense?

Perfect sense. Since the Tour is what everyone wants to do well in they don't do the Giro as it can diminish their chances, but riding the Vuelta after that won't diminish their later performances as there's such a long recovery afterward.
  • Anonymous

Perfect sense. Since the Tour is what everyone wants to do well in they don't do the Giro as it can diminish their chances, but riding the Vuelta after that won't diminish their later performances as there's such a long recovery afterward.

Yes and most if not all the other main rivals will have just done the tour as well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Froome won't ride the Vuelta. He has to milk the post tour crits and marketing opportunities. Same is true for every tour winner.

5er he will?

Paid on next BR drinks.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373

Contador is exhausted.

Nibali might ride as he seemed to be coming to form.

+1

Vuelta. This may have been said before the TDF, but the drain of the event, PR work after and more importantly they have a child on the way. No, Sky will be more than happy to give him a rest.

Enjoy your drink!
  • TheBigBean
    So FocusZing, you're recommending I accept the bet? I'm now slightly concerned that the wonders of modern marginal gains theory means that he will turn up and ride two weeks uncompetitively or something. Essentially, Chasey is scaring me with the big bucks.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Ha! I'm going to put myself on block now, so I don't have to reread the rubbish I've typed the last three weeks.

That's the great thing with sport, you never know!?
  • rick_chasey
    So FocusZing, you're recommending I accept the bet? I'm now slightly concerned that the wonders of modern marginal gains theory means that he will turn up and ride two weeks uncompetitively or something. Essentially, Chasey is scaring me with the big bucks.

Well?
  • TheBigBean

Well?

No bet. Sky are weird. I'll bet you that he won't win though...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    fair play to Contador for trying it although he never really looked like challenging all race. Shame as I think this will put anyone off trying it for a very long time.
  • rick_chasey

Well?

No bet. Sky are weird. I'll bet you that he won't win though...

Ah, no conviction.
  • milton50

Froome rode the Vuelta in 11, 12 and 14 but not 13 - it was 2012 when he visibly weakened later into the race and the full effects of the Tour kicked in. Sky have made much of the Vuelta as Tour preparation so I think he may well ride it even if not for the GC.

Ah I mean't 2012, sorry a bit of a typo. He looked amazing in the Tour working for Wiggo but then weakened very quickly in the Vuelta.
  • milton50

Henao - depends whether he's staying or not. His contract is up this year, as is cousin Sebastian. Given his unhappiness with the way Sky handled the whole blood values thing, I'm not certain he wont be off to pastures new (and taking Sebastian with him)

Isn't Aru definitely riding the Vuelta?

Don't know. Just going by procyclingstats the only people down for Astana at the moment are Landa and Nibali. I think it's anyone's guess who leads Astana at this Vuelta. Aru was leader at the Giro, Nibali seems to have fallen out with the team, and Landa is likely to be with Sky next year.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I really don't think Froome will be ready for it, he looked pretty ill the last couple of days so I reckon he needs a long break. Contador obvs not. Quintana, yep. Nibali seems the biggest unknown - it's just a bit of a mystery how he could be so useless week 1 and so strong week 3. I dare say Astana know more about that than any of us. Aru or Landa could be real contenders, but how many leaders do they want to bring...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Hopefully Sky don't bring Froome and their circus. I could do without the loons they attract spoiling the racing for the real fans. Henao and Nieve at the Vuelta would be exciting viewing GC riding or not. Valverde and Niabli light up any race and Quintana is just pure joy.

TJ is the one who has to do this race. I hope he turns up and gets buried. I'd like to see Gesink give it a crack and for Majka to ride it as fully protected leader.

Aru of course is a treat. I'd like to see where Landa stands too although doubt he would give two hoots about Astana now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    Hopefully Sky don't bring Froome and their circus. I could do without the loons they attract spoiling the racing for the real fans. Henao and Nieve at the Vuelta would be exciting viewing GC riding or not. Valverde and Niabli light up any race and Quintana is just pure joy.

TJ is the one who has to do this race. I hope he turns up and gets buried. I'd like to see Gesink give it a crack and for Majka to ride it as fully protected leader.

Aru of course is a treat. I'd like to see where Landa stands too although doubt he would give two hoots about Astana now.

Spanish fans were keen on Froome last year if I remember rightly. He was commended for his attacks and efforts to battle back on when drifting on the initial mountain stages.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nibali and TJ confirmed. Quintana uncertain.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nairo FTW

But I hope Nibz shows Aru who's boss
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Nibs, Aru and Landa on the same team......Astana 1,2,3 a possibility?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Looking at the recentish Tour winners (back to Bert's first win), practically the only person who didn't do the Vuelta the year before winning the Tour was Evans.

Like they said on the cycling podcast, you end the season tired but very fit, and take that into the next year
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.