Car dilemma - Proper classic vs modern classic?

reformedfatty
reformedfatty Posts: 543
edited February 2019 in The hub
My puma is getting a bit leggy at 140k miles and a bit crusty at the rear wheelarches, so I'm on the look out for a replacement.

Trouble is I really don't like much in the way of modern cars, all too expensive and generic. I used to have a couple of classics in the past and I think I've just about hit that rose tinted point where I'd have another one.

Short version :
Lancia Beta Coupe vs mk1 Audi TT coupe?

The TT is more practical.. but I like the Beta more. If I got the beta, backup transport would be bicycle or motorbike, or maybe a sub 1k modern car. Probably about the same money for either option 4-5k

Thoughts?

Comments

• Can you actually find an intact Beta? I thought they'd all be metal oxide by now. Unless you are prepared for a lot of work I'd steer well clear.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    As much as I'd usually say go with the classic, in the case of the Beta, I'd registering a vote of avoid. Betas were plagued with electrical issues and very fall-to-bits-and-pile-of-rust-y. They were the car that comprehensively killed Lancia. Effortlessly cool if you can find one in good nick though, but you'd have to set aside three of the five thousand to keep it moving.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    edited July 2015
    In fact avoid anything Italian built in the last century.

There is a very good reason why Lancia stopped selling cars in the UK .....
  • In fact avoid anything Italian built in the last century.

Tere is a very good reason why Lancia stopped selling cars in the UK .....

Well you'd be missing out on some nice cars, I had an Alfa 156 Veloce from nearly new and put 90k miles on it in 4 years without a whimper from my bank balance. Loved the car.
  • To clarify in my classics history I've had a fiat x1/9, two lancia betas, an rx7, an alfasud sprint and a jaguar xjs. By far the worst of those for electrics and rust was the jag (the ecu failure locking open 9 fuel injectors produced an impressive amount of smoke and a highly combustible mechanic when he opened the oil drain plug to let out the fuel / oil mix).

I'm not too worried about running a beta, as both of mine served as daily drivers. I won't go overboard defending them, but in my experience they weren't any worse than any other car of the time.

The only other classics I like the look of at the moment are gt6, which is more expensive, an opel manta a, also expensive, a marcos gt expensive again.. a tvr s2 (gulp), or a spitfire (too impractical?).

Other moderns.. fiat coupes have vanished off the face of the earth, mx5 seems a bit impractical, likewise a z4...
  • HertsG
    In fact avoid anything Italian built in the last century.

I had an Alfa 156 Veloce from nearly new and put 90k miles on it in 4 years before it went to the scrapyard. Loved the car.

Fixed.

:wink:
  • In fact avoid anything Italian built in the last century.

I had an Alfa 156 Veloce from nearly new and put 90k miles on it in 4 years before it went to the scrapyard. Loved the car.

Fixed.

:wink:

Harsh!!
  • Oh, plus I had a gtv twinspark, if you could count that as a modern classic. Now that one was a bit of a headache, topping up the oil every 4-5 days was apparently perfectly normal!
  • HertsG
    OK I'm biased against Italian cars.

I went off them the day I had to take a lump hammer to a Fiat 124 cylinder head to remove it to change the blown head gasket.

Iron head studs and an alloy head are not good bed-fellows!

On the whole, Italian cars and motorbikes are beautifully styled but not nailed together desperately well.
  • The presence of a rather nice british racing green mkk2 mx-5 would seem to suggest that I have opted for the modern classic route.

Not sure what I'm going to do about transporting bikes though! bike bag + passenger seat seems most likely at the moment...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The presence of a rather nice british racing green mkk2 mx-5 would seem to suggest that I have opted for the modern classic route.

Not sure what I'm going to do about transporting bikes though! bike bag + passenger seat seems most likely at the moment...
    seems to be the thing
    http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/boot-mounted-cycle-rack-models-p-3196.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I used to have a MK1 - had a small towbar fitted for a bike rack. I'm fairly sure that the boot lid was aluminium and sticking something on top was not recommended.

No idea about the mk2 but worth checking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The mk2 and 3 are more of a problem as they aren't type rated for towing in Europe, so no one sells a towbar for them. I might see if I can convince a fitting place to do a detachable one anyway and stick a not for towing label on it...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mine was in New Zealand and we're a lawless lot in the colonies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I`ve just bought a Mk2 mx5 also, as I found new car replacements for my TT boring and dull.

2 1/2 grand bought me an absolut hoot of a car which is mint (jap import VS) BRG with tan leather, now , wheres my driving gloves ?
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Oh, plus I had a gtv twinspark, if you could count that as a modern classic. Now that one was a bit of a headache, topping up the oil every 4-5 days was apparently perfectly normal!

I had a Alpha 75 t spark v6 for a little while. In between total electrical failures it was brilliant. I would have another over a Audi tt which is definitely in no way a classic.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have a Mk2 MX5 as well. It's a brilliant car for blasting around in. Took it down to Le Mans in June and it was great.

Do you have a hard top for your's, reformedfatty? If so, there is a suction cup bike rack available that gets good reviews. Look up SeaSucker. They are expensive, but with a convertible you don't have much choice unfortunately.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I have a Mk2 MX5 as well. It's a brilliant car for blasting around in. Took it down to Le Mans in June and it was great.

Do you have a hard top for your's, reformedfatty? If so, there is a suction cup bike rack available that gets good reviews. Look up SeaSucker. They are expensive, but with a convertible you don't have much choice unfortunately.

I do have a hardtop.. I'll have a look and see.

The bike bag in passenger seat route would appear to be ahem.. a challenge, based upon a quick trial of bag sans bike last night. I may have bought too sturdy a bag! (dhb elsted).
  • Best thing I did on my mx5 was 4 wheel alignment. Made a good car great. Some do use a saris bones but the ali boot is vulnerable. Mx5 parts in Portsmouth are a great resource for parts.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    OK I'm biased against Italian cars.

I went off them the day I had to take a lump hammer to a Fiat 124 cylinder head to remove it to change the blown head gasket.

On the whole, Italian cars and motorbikes are beautifully styled but not nailed together desperately well.
    Not just the Italians that do that.
    MX5s are great cars, if a little underpowered at times. We used to sell blowers for them, made life much more fun.
  • OK I'm biased against Italian cars.

Not just the Italians that do that.
    MX5s are great cars, if a little underpowered at times. We used to sell blowers for them, made life much more fun.
    I had a Mk 1 mx5 with a Jackson Racing Supercharger kit on it. Great fun, and unlike things like TVRs and Classic Brits like Spitfires, the roof didn't leak and it was totally reliable.
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........
  • Lancia! My dad had a blue Lancia. What’s to like? Everything!
    The noise. The look. As a kid sitting in back, the view,, that power!
    Wow!
    Wow!
    Wow!
    (intense memories)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I run an old car. It been off the road since last August because if two plastic bits in unde the seats that j can't get and I can't put it through the not without them.

I'd get an Alfa 156 with tan leather seats. Man that does it for me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yeah, fair to say he's bought whatever he wanted to sometime in the last 3.5 years since asking the question!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.