Broken collar bone

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited August 2015 in Training, fitness and health
Having sustained a double fracture to my collar bone yesterday realistically, being mere mortal (rather than a Tyler Hamilton) how long before I'm back on the bike?

I'm sure others on here have had the same. Cheers.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    without an op and no complications, i d say 6 weeks min, i ve broken my right one 3 times, use a figure of 8 bandage - nhs no longer do these - and sling and you can turbo within a few days.
    i would add that until i can do at least 10 press ups pain free, i dont consider it healed properly.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,396
    Sorry to hear that Frank. How did you manage that!? The usual over the handlebars?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    2 weeks and some drugs. And don't stack it
    4 weeks if you want to min risks
    6 to be safe.

Having broken my right clavicle so many times I just accept it is fragile and run with it on pain killers.

Best answer - listen to your consultant who can see your Xrays and MRIs

PS good luck with the recovery and ensure you do some rehab on it
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Frank the tank
    Sorry to hear that Frank. How did you manage that!? The usual over the handlebars?
    In a word, yes. I almost got away with it but it wasn't to be, it could have been far worse though. Fortunately I was on a group ride an my mates were top drawer and they all stayed with me until the ambulance arrived.

Be around the six week plus mark then. :(
    Tail end Charlie

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sorry to hear that. Any ligament damage? That will also affect healing time.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    In a word, yes. I almost got away with it but it wasn't to be, it could have been far worse though. Fortunately I was on a group ride an my mates were top drawer and they all stayed with me until the ambulance arrived.

Be around the six week plus mark then. :(

:(
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,312
    Chin up mate - it hasn't affected your ability to type bollox on the BR forum. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I've twice had multiple breaks of the collar bone. The first time, it took me 5 weeks to return to work. The second time it took me three weeks to be riding the mountains in Majorca. So you see, it depends on the motivation. ;-) No surgery either time, and no pain killers.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • pinno
    They make 'em real hard in Walsall but dead soft in Soli.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I'm not sure if the same principle applies but when I broke my leg my body consumed more calories ( I lost weight) and I was physically knackered for the first few weeks as my body went into repair mode and I didn't get a choice.

Heel well and quickly.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Sorry to hear that Frank. :cry:
    Get well soon, my lefty friend.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    It was more like about 10 weeks for me.
    All depends on how far apart the 2 ends of the collar bone are plus your age.
    Personally I would insists on getting it plated next time round
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Did mine 2 weeks ago when a cat ran out in front of me whilst I descended at 40 mph. I live in Portugal and tomorrow I'm going to get a wire or plate inserted to hold the bone together. Its a distal fracture ie near the shoulder joint and has a fair degree of separation. Strangely, I have to have the wire out in about 6 weeks. They've not been able to operate sooner as there was no skin where the surgeon wanted to go in. I'm hoping to get on the turbo in a couple of weeks. As its not the NHS I have to stay in hospital for 3-4 nights after the op!

The thing that noone tells you is how difficult it is to do ordinary things like get dressed, shave, eat, wipe yer bum etc I also feel pretty tired most of the time and have lost over 1/2 stone in a fortnight
  • Frank the tank
    Got back from fracture clinic, the bones are in good alignment and no surgery required. At least four weeks off work and basically rest it but keep it mobile by doing a few general/ordinary movements initially, rather than physio.

I'm in good health otherwise, but, at 54 the healing process might be a bit longer than in some of the whipper-snappers.
    Tail end Charlie

• Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Got back from fracture clinic, the bones are in good alignment and no surgery required. At least four weeks off work and basically rest it but keep it mobile by doing a few general/ordinary movements initially, rather than physio.

I'm in good health otherwise, but, at 54 the healing process might be a bit longer than in some of the whipper-snappers.

Hope all goes well.

Broke mine on the 5th of June ... Had the op at Queens Med a week later. Still out of action, at least I can drive now though (the highlight of my day was walking to Linby Tearooms for a read & latte!) Have got a follow up aptmnt on the 11th of August. Still feels odd/sore/tender though.

Can't believe I'm missing the sun!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Ambulance?

FOUR weeks off work???

Really?

Well, glad you're still alive and all that.

But perchance time to change your name from Frank the Tank to Frank the Fragile?
  • pinno
    Frank the Eagle Tank?

Update please.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Hmm my last reply (although entirely tongue-in-cheek) might have been a bit harsh!

I broke my scaphoid a few years ago, so I sympathise (though I only missed one day of work - the day I had the operation to screw it back together! ;-p )
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Hmm my last reply (although entirely tongue-in-cheek) might have been a bit harsh!

I broke my scaphoid a few years ago, so I sympathise (though I only missed one day of work - the day I had the operation to screw it back together! ;-p )

mmmmm not sure you can compare a Scaphoid to a clavicle, having done both plus several other bones, the collar bone is a pia, can t plastered, almost always involves a lot of soft tissue injury but like the scaphoid is prone to non union.
    Many people carry-on at work with a sore wrist unaware they have a broken Scaphoid - me included.
  • I dream of having a broken collar bone. I did this on a descent five weeks ago, and won't ride again until some time into 2016. Yes, it hurts.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByzVNqCc6XQYN053c2sxRmhrMzJyZGV1U2lVZmR5SjRrS1Jv
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • ali69er
    ali69er Posts: 35
    A word of warning, I am one week post op having initially broken mine last June (2014), they opted to let it heal naturally. It hasn't. I have had a really rubbish year with this.

If it doesn't look like the bones are actually touching in the Xray, seriously, it may not heal. Don't be backwards if you hold concerns over your treatment plan. I was and now I so regret not being a bit more bullish.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    A word of warning, I am one week post op having initially broken mine last June (2014), they opted to let it heal naturally. It hasn't. I have had a really rubbish year with this.

If it doesn't look like the bones are actually touching in the Xray, seriously, it may not heal. Don't be backwards if you hold concerns over your treatment plan. I was and now I so regret not being a bit more bullish.

I've had the op, plated & screwed, and on the post op x-ray my bones still not touching! I've got a follow up on the 11th though .... Could murder a bike ride!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • A word of warning, I am one week post op having initially broken mine last June (2014), they opted to let it heal naturally. It hasn't. I have had a really rubbish year with this.

I'm back at the fracture clinic in about a fortnight or so, so I'll have a scrutiny of the x-ray if possible and raise any concerns then. :?
    Tail end Charlie

• effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Just thought I'd drop in on this, broke mine on 19 July. Car came flying round a bend on a back road, mate was alongside, we hit each other, we both went over, I took the impact on shoulder and head (made me realise how important my helmet was) and I ended up with bust collarbone and plenty of grazes. Off to A+E, X-Ray etc, doc said it was bad, plenty of overlap but sent me home in a sling with a few painkillers and told to wait for fracture clinic. The first couple of days were mega painful but it eased a bit afterwards. Got my fracture clinic app on the Thursday, told I needed surgery. I
    was gutted as we were meant to fly to Paris on the Friday for the weekend to see Froomey win the TdF. Ended up in hospital on the Monday for day surgery, complications meant I had to stay in (horrible places at night hospitals). After the op the first 2 days were more painful than when I first did it, got better quite quickly though.

I'm just over a week since op now and I can move arm etc, scar is very sore and if I do too much it aches but signs are good. Off to fracture clinic again on Fri for check up. Just got a new bike so will be on the turbo soon, was told not to whilst the dressing is on as sweat may cause infection.
    It's my first off so be interesting to see how I feel when back on the bike, I am convinced it is dangerous now.
    I'll try and attach my first x Ray below.

https://flic.kr/p/wW5k6A
  • borisface
    Comforting to know there are a few of us going through the same thing. I'm sorry about your leg/pelvis that looks dreadful - good luck with your recovery.

They have decided not to operate in the end as there was still no skin on the shoulder where they wanted to make an incision and they are now of the opinion it will heal of its own accord. I'm due to go back for re-assessment in a couple of weeks, so will press for an op if it looks little better.

I still have some deep grazes on knee, shoulder and elbow which are being redressed every 3-4 days. Yesterday I noticed how much my bicep/tricep and forearm muscles had atrophied - I have the arm of a 5 year old girl. I assume this is normal as my arm has largely been immobile for 3 1/2 weeks and it will come back to normal after physio.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I still have some deep grazes on knee, shoulder and elbow which are being redressed every 3-4 days. Yesterday I noticed how much my bicep/tricep and forearm muscles had atrophied - I have the arm of a 5 year old girl. I assume this is normal as my arm has largely been immobile for 3 1/2 weeks and it will come back to normal after physio.

Each time i ve broken mine i ve been told to do simple exercises to limit this, obviously you need to follow their advice but squeezing a squash ball etc is one i was told to do. i ve also been told to do elbow exercises too, this is where the fig 8 bandage wins over the sling - so very little if any muscle atrophy - never had NHS physio, they ve never offered it and tbh i dont feel i ve ever needed it.
    We r ucky down here as Derriford is full of Navy medics and they know how important it is to get fit again.
  • borisface
    How's everyone doing?

My sling is now discarded and I am waiting for a physio appointment. The xrays show that the bones are healing as expected. The consultant has given me some exercises to do that are pretty painful. I can just about get my elbow above my shoulder but its all very stiff but getting slowly easier.

I'm still bandaged as cuts and grazes haven't quite healed and the one on my shoulder without a plaster gets rubbed by a shirt. I went to try and get on the turbo a couple of days ago but couldn't get my leg over, so to speak.