Grand Union Canal.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited July 2015 in Tour & expedition
Anyone Cycled along this recently?

Particularly north from the start? What is the state of the towpath and what sort of bike is it navigable by? I am planning on cycling to Birmingham along it.

is it possible in one day? or should i look at an over nighter?

Thoughts or other suggestions?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You would want a bile that can cope with some muddy and rough surfaces. In my experience the Birmingham to Leamington part has sections of nice smooth gravel/paved towpath and sections of rough and muddy towpath.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    its 145 miles - runnable in a day

(I did the race once, but died at 100 miles. Lightweight, I know).

It's pretty cycleable the whole way, if a little flat.
    I've met people cycling the length over 2 or 3 days.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • rubertoe
    So i could dop this on the Kaffenback, Provided i fit some nobilyish tyres? drop the pressure a bit and tackle it when there has been a period of dry?

I will look to stay over night somewhere on route. maybe.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    So i could dop this on the Kaffenback, Provided i fit some nobilyish tyres? drop the pressure a bit and tackle it when there has been a period of dry?

I will look to stay over night somewhere on route. maybe.

I'd run a CX rather than road bike - there are sections of grassy paths which could get slippy / muddy (slightly).
    Lots is gravelly, but never technical.

Kaffenback with 28s or 32s would be perfect.

It's doable as a long day (145 miles), or take it steady for 2 days. I don't know about overnight accommodation though - half way is not far from Milton Keynes.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • rubertoe
    Perfect,

The kaff currently has 28's on, Might change them from the gators to something a bit more grippy, i wont be quite going as far as birmingham, so will look to do in a day. Early start and if i struggle the EPO can come and get me, I have somwehere to stay at the end.

looks like we are on.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    I use the London bit from Brentford to Uxbridge every day. Any tyre will do in terms of size, but there is a lot of broken glass, especially around Southall and Hayes, so best to use a robust touring tyre
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I use the London bit from Brentford to Uxbridge every day. Any tyre will do in terms of size, but there is a lot of broken glass, especially around Southall and Hayes, so best to use a robust touring tyre

Have this path improved then? I rode Brentford to West Drayton on 25mm last year and 'gravel' parts nearly rattled my teeth out. I reckon, you need bigger tires and lower pressure to achieve some speed and anything remotely close to comfort. Mind you, I've not gone further, those might be just short stretches in grand scheme of things if riding up to Birmingham.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166

Have this path improved then? I rode Brentford to West Drayton on 25mm last year and 'gravel' parts nearly rattled my teeth out. I reckon, you need bigger tires and lower pressure to achieve some speed and anything remotely close to comfort. Mind you, I've not gone further, those might be just short stretches in grand scheme of things if riding up to Birmingham.

I agree that bigger tyres at lower pressure are better, however, it is doable with virtually any tyre in the dry season. It's not as bad as saying Paris-Roubaix... :mrgreen:

I find the biggest hassle is glass... unfortunately around Southall and Hayes not many seem to have much respect for public property... there is rubbish everywhere, dog turds, puddles of piss under the bridges and a lot of glass
    left the forum March 2023