Preferred Tyres

avalanche_expert
avalanche_expert Posts: 177
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
What's your preferred tyre choice/brand? The WTB Nano which came on my bike are now pretty well worn especially on the rear after 1000 miles.

I'm sticking with inner tubes for the time being, as it's what I'm used to and very easy to swap tyres.

I mainly ride in the dry/slight damp. Sometimes I'm out when it's very muddy with big puddles depending how much rain there has been. I don't tend to ride in the rain if I can help it. My riding is mixed as I ride on loose gravel tracks, woodland trails, roots, rocks, grass, tarmac and roads. I ride quite hard and for long periods of time, so grip is the most important factor with good rolling resistance second.

Cost doesn't bother me neither does longevity, but it would be a nice bonus! As long as they grip and roll well as top priority I'm happy. Do you have any recommendations? I have 650B wheels if it makes any difference. Been looking at Continental Race King and X King Black Chilli versions, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    What the comprised of, and what sort of riding would you say you do. I could suggest loads an they would suck.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like Specialized Purgatory but they might be a bit heavy duty for you. Specialized Ground Control S Works should be good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron both ends or with a Ralph on the back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks chaps, I'll certainly look into those.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I really rate the rocket ron, get the evolution ones though.
    I've currently got a ron front ralph back, im not massively impressed with the ralph but it's the cheaper/older performance model rather than the evolution, which might be why.
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    Hans Dampf evo (rear) Rocket Ron evo (front) & sometimes Maxxis Minion (rear) Maxxis Ardent (front)
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • Thanks a lot for your input guys, I've been looking into the mentioned tyres and read as many reviews as I can find. I've ordered the Rocket Ron Evo for the front and a Racing Ralph Evo for the rear, going from the recommendations and info I can find they should be ideal for what I want.

Never had Shwables before, so it'll be nice to try something new.

Thanks again :D
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Hans Dampf evo (rear) Rocket Ron evo (front) & sometimes Maxxis Minion (rear) Maxxis Ardent (front)

Bit back to front to me, grip on the front, speed on the back.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160

Bit back to front to me, grip on the front, speed on the back.
    Perhaps so, but the tyre combinations really work for me
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • I've been on a couple of rides with the Shwables now totalling about 60/70 miles. Really happy with them, they seem like an excellent combination.

Thanks for the recommendations :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Glad you like them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.