Travelling to the US - Cycle related bargains?

Stevo C
Stevo C Posts: 132
edited July 2015 in Commuting chat
I'm working in the US for the next two weeks - does anyone have any suggestions as to any cycling related bargains to be had?

I'm planning on getting the mk2 Pacenti SL23 rims whilst I'm there and on past trips I've bought from Swrve and Walz caps.

cheers

Steve
cheers

Steve

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I'm working in the US for the next two weeks - does anyone have any suggestions as to any cycling related bargains to be had?

I'm planning on getting the mk2 Pacenti SL23 rims whilst I'm there and on past trips I've bought from Swrve and Walz caps.

cheers

Steve

If you have somewhere that can accept deliveries then Giro kit can be pretty cheap. Technically you might have trouble with tourist allowances for bringing stuff back - check first. Full custom charges will negate any gains
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Considering a lot of people in the US order cycling stuff from the UK as it's cheaper, then perhaps not?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've never found US particularly good for cycling stuff cost-wise
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Spesh gear is noticeably cheaper but as others have said, there may be other loops you have to jump through.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sadly fella nothing I've found is cheaper than in the EU I'm here at the moment and have to say apart from a few civvy clothing items prices over here are more expensive than anytime I've seen in the last 17 years.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I have got some nice clothing bargains from these guys - but only because I can avoid the shipping and tax costs (ssssh) cos I have a NYC office

http://stores.ebay.com/Bermans-Bicycle/Blowout-Sale-Castelli-Clothing-/_i.html?_fsub=9380968013&_sid=44028743&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

cheers

Steve
    I had the same thought when I was going over to NY for a week.
    I visited quite a few shops and came home with nothing. Don't waste your time.
    Try some shops online for comparison if you want to put your mind at rest.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    Although I did just fill up the Chevrolet for $25 mental when you think about the world fossil fuel prices.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Sadly fella nothing I've found is cheaper than in the EU I'm here at the moment and have to say apart from a few civvy clothing items prices over here are more expensive than anytime I've seen in the last 17 years.

Weren't you going to pick up one of the Lezyne computers?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    I bought a garmn 810 and a mount for my S5 mobile so no need.