First Bike Selection-BtwinRockrider520, Fuji Nevada 1.7 etc

Wheeler88
Wheeler88 Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello All,
My first post on this community and a new beginning to my new passion.

After countless hours of research I figured out how much the cycling world is changed since I rode the cycle many years ago. Firstly, there are different categories like road bikes, moutain bikes and hybrid bikes then infinitely many number of choices amongst different the brands and there offerings! Hussshh.... that's a lot of work! :roll:

I plan to ride inside the city as well as off road. I need a good moutain bike with following features.

- Hardtail
- 100mm fork with lockout
- Atleast 21 speed gears
- Quick release wheels
- Disc breaks
- 26" or 29er I'm not sure

I narrowed down to following choices but you may suggest if there is a better option at this price point.

BTWIN ROCKRIDER 520.
http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/cycles/mountain-bikes/520-mountain-bike/p-M8307726

FUJI NEVADA 1.7 26" 2014 model - around 29k
http://mountain-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/5694/2014-Fuji-Nevada-1-7

FIREFOX MAXIMUS D 29ER - around 24k
http://www.firefoxbikes.com/BikeDetails.aspx?BikeId=144

Please share your experience and suggestions with me on this. Buy the way my current inclination is towards FUJI I compared the weight of the above two and found FUJI to be super light as compared to firefox.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    From India as you have the Firefox on the list at a guess? (and the prices in Rs)

I ride a lot in India - mostly round Pune, which city?

The Fuji link is broken (copy and paste error), aim for at least 8 gears on the back, it means a much better type of rear hub. The Maximus is a decent spec and ride for on road and relatively mild (gravel track) off road use, it is certainly the best value entry bike in India in terms of getting one that will be decent to ride, the fork is a bit heavy though and damping isn't adjustable, the RR has a better fork and better brakes but is obviously more money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wheeler88
    From India as you have the Firefox on the list at a guess? (and the prices in Rs)

I ride a lot in India - mostly round Pune, which city?

The Fuji link is broken (copy and paste error), aim for at least 8 gears on the back, it means a much better type of rear hub. The Maximus is a decent spec and ride for on road and relatively mild (gravel track) off road use, it is certainly the best value entry bike in India in terms of getting one that will be decent to ride, the fork is a bit heavy though and damping isn't adjustable, the RR has a better fork and better brakes but is obviously more money.

Yes. I'm from India and that too from Pune. :) where are you from? Hope we can ride together sometime! Heh he ;)
    The fuji link is fine when I checked. Please do check this fuji bike as I found it really nice looking and light weight with good components. May not be better than rock rider but certainly not less. I'm really planning to go off road. Can you think of any other options for me?
  • The Rookie
    You can see in your post the link is truncated, it goes to a GT force for me.

I'm in the UK right now, visit Pune about 12 times a year, I usually join the Lifecyle or Giant shop rides on a Sunday (my only day off) but am trying to do a few more off-road rides. I follow the Pune Cycling Enthusiasts page on Facebook. I've also done a 200km BRM with Pune Randonneurs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wheeler88
    Guys anybody there! I am waiting for your comments before I buy. I have held back my decision to buy :cry:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit hard as no one here has ever seen a Firefox (except The Rookie maybe) and the Fuji link has minimal detail (like what fork?).
    So based on his advice, the RR.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Maximus is a good value 29er, the RR the better specced, for normal road use in India the bigger wheels of the 29er would take it for me, the RR would be better for any off road use.
  • Wheeler88
    the Fuji link has minimal detail (like what fork?).
    So based on his advice, the RR.

Fuji Nevada has following fork.
    SR Suntour SF13-XCT-MLO w/ mechanical lockout

Here are detailed specs of Fuji Nevada 1.7(you can find them on specifications on the link(Look at left side menu)

Frame
    Fuji A2-SL custom-butted alloy
    Rear Triangle: Fuji A1-SL alloy w/ S-bend chainstays, post disc mount, cold-forged dropout and replaceable hanger

Fork
    SR Suntour SF13-XCT-MLO w/ mechanical lockout

Frame and SuspensionDrivetrainComponentsBrakesWheels

Rear Derailleur
    Shimano Acera, 8-speed
    Level: Basic

Front Derailleur
    Shimano Altus, 34.9mm

Cassette
    Shimano HG31, 11-34T, 8-speed
    Teeth: 11-34T

Crankset
    SR Suntour XCT, alloy, 42/32/22T
    Teeth: 22/32/42T

Chain
    KMC HV700, 8-speed

Pedal
    Plastic platform
    Bottom Bracket
    FSA, sealed cartridge bearing

Shifters
    Shimano EF51, EZ Fire, 8-speed

Brake Levers
    Shimano EF51, 2-finger brake/shifter combo

Headset
    FSA 1 1/8" semi-integrated, caged bearings

Stem
    Oval Concepts, melt-forged alloy, 31.8mm, 10è rise

Handlebars
    Steel rise bar, 6è degree sweep, 31.8mm diameter, 680mm wide, 19mm rise

Grips
    Oval Concepts 400, dual-density Kraton

Seatpost
    Oval Concepts, alloy, 31.6mm, double-bolt micro-adjust

Saddle
    Oval Concepts w/ steel rails

Brakes
    Mechanical disc, 160mm rotor
    The Nevada 1.7 is equipped with mechanical (cable-actuated) disc brakes.
    Front Rotor
    millimeters
    Rear Rotor
    millimeters

Wheelset
    Vera Terra DPD18 rims 32h, Formula DC-20 front / DC-22 rear disc hubs, black spokes

Tires
    Vera Eos, 26" x 2.1", 30 tpi
  • Wheeler88
    The Maximus is a good value 29er, the RR the better specced, for normal road use in India the bigger wheels of the 29er would take it for me, the RR would be better for any off road use.

I tried firefox maximus 29er and I do find it little heavy as compared with Fuji 1.7. I still have to try out the RR 520. After looking at above specs of Fuji Nevada 1.7 what do you say about it? I see that Fuji has mechanical lockout but firefox has hydraulic, what's the difference?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The mechanical lockout means no fork damping - is a truly awful, jarring, excuse of a fork - avoid.
  • The Rookie
    Forget the Fuji, the choice should be between the others. A 29er will feel slower to accelerate due to the heavier tyres and rims, but once up to speed will roll better.
  • Wheeler88
    Forget the Fuji, the choice should be between the others. A 29er will feel slower to accelerate due to the heavier tyres and rims, but once up to speed will roll better.

Hi Rookie,
    I did some research around here and it seems that not many are appreciating FIREFOX as a good brand. I almost finalized to buy FIREFOX MAXIMUS D 29er. But now I'm little bit confused. :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That could be because 99% of people on here are in the UK, and they don't seem to sell them here.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    There are a lot of brand snobs around, I've not ridden the Maximus, but have ridden with people riding them.

Don't forget that 95% of the bike parts are made by suppliers like Shimano.