Calling all Planet X London Road owners

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited July 2015 in Road general
After my first puncture today I am desperate to obtain advise from PX LR owners .
Rear wheel puncture put the chain into small front chaining and small rear cassette then had one hell of a job removing the wheel and a an even harder one putting it back .
Mudguards fitted sram rival rear mech and disc to locate what a chew on
I have a carbon road bike standard brakes shirmano rear deralier easy no problems but this ?
What am I doing wrong , can not even face removing the rear wheel to wash the bike !
look forward to hearing from you.
regards
ILG

Comments

• Yes, I found it a bit tricky to remove and replace the back wheel the first couple of times.
    The mudguard mounting bolt between the chainstays gets in the way a bit (I have chromoplastics).
    I've found you just need to physically push the rear derailleur back at the top jockey wheel so that the wheel doesn't need to be pulled forward towards the bottom bracket so much to free it. Hope this makes sense.
  • ilovegrace
    Yes, I found it a bit tricky to remove and replace the back wheel the first couple of times.
    The mudguard mounting bolt between the chainstays gets in the way a bit (I have chromoplastics).
    I've found you just need to physically push the rear derailleur back at the top jockey wheel so that the wheel doesn't need to be pulled forward towards the bottom bracket so much to free it. Hope this makes sense.
    Hi Ryanshattered
    Thanks for this tip will give it a go .
    regards
    ILG
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Racelight Tk has limited wriggle room with 25mm tyres and full Chromoplastic guards. I have to push the rear mech a long way back to get the rear wheel in / out, and then the axle only just clears the dropout. And that's with a caliper brake; I can't imagine having the additional faff of trying to get a brake disc back between the pads at the same time...
  • My Racelight Tk has limited wriggle room with 25mm tyres and full Chromoplastic guards. I have to push the rear mech a long way back to get the rear wheel in / out, and then the axle only just clears the dropout. And that's with a caliper brake; I can't imagine having the additional faff of trying to get a brake disc back between the pads at the same time...

Disc brake isn't really a problem, just have to make sure the cassette engages on the cog you had it shifted to before you took the wheel off, then it'll slide straight back in. I think it's less hassle if anything since there's no cable to disengage/reengage.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've had the rear wheel off on mine once so far and found it easier than my rim braked road bikes to get the wheel back on. However I've always pulled the mech backwards while relocating a wheel and I haven't fitted mudguards yet.
  • ilovegrace
    I've had the rear wheel off on mine once so far and found it easier than my rim braked road bikes to get the wheel back on. However I've always pulled the mech backwards while relocating a wheel and I haven't fitted mudguards yet.
    Hi Chaps
    It could be that the mudguards are the issue here . the MGs + the bolt bring the tolerance down some what.
    You just can not get the chain on , the derailleur back , the skewer in place and the rotor into disc brake without one hell of a chew.
    Tried taking air out of the Tyre , got the wheel back in but had worries about bending the derailleur , I had not but its just a matter of time!
    regards
    ILG
  • I've had the rear wheel off on mine once so far and found it easier than my rim braked road bikes to get the wheel back on. However I've always pulled the mech backwards while relocating a wheel and I haven't fitted mudguards yet.
    Hi Chaps
    It could be that the mudguards are the issue here . the MGs + the bolt bring the tolerance down some what.
    You just can not get the chain on , the derailleur back , the skewer in place and the rotor into disc brake without one hell of a chew.
    Tried taking air out of the Tyre , got the wheel back in but had worries about bending the derailleur , I had not but its just a matter of time!
    regards
    ILG

Seems odd that it would be causing you so much difficulty. I thought about frame size but I'm sure that the chainstays are the same length on all sizes anyway. What mudguards are they?
    Here's my clearance with Chromoplastic p45s for reference:
    20150724_145314_zpss1svazd8.jpg