Is it bad to hang your bike like this? (SOLVED)

surjerrylee
surjerrylee Posts: 5
edited July 2015 in Road general
Hi guys! I'm new to road biking and new to this forum.

I'm hanging my bike off a wall and the gears touching the wall. Is this bad? Plus I noticed a little bit of paint chipping on the back of the front fork.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    No problem at all so long as you're gentle placing mech against wall but I'd pop something under the frame to stop scratching (rag, non slip matting, cat, that sort of jazz)
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Sorry, that's already likely to be totalled. Send it to me and I will see that it is disposed of in an environmentally sound manner.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • No problem at all so long as you're gentle placing mech against wall but I'd pop something under the frame to stop scratching (rag, non slip matting, cat, that sort of jazz)

Great idea! I just added some cardboard to protect the frame. I wish I'd thought of that earlier :x
    Sorry, that's already likely to be totalled. Send it to me and I will see that it is disposed of in an environmentally sound manner.

Oh geez, well I'd hate to put you through all that :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    No problem at all so long as you're gentle placing mech against wall but I'd pop something under the frame to stop scratching (rag, non slip matting, cat, that sort of jazz)

Great idea! I just added some cardboard to protect the frame. I wish I'd thought of that earlier :x

Oh geez, well I'd hate to put you through all that :wink:
    No.
    What you need is Cyclomonde designer furniture protector.
    I could source you the 2 pieces required, one for the top to protect the frame and one for the chainring to sit against for only £75. Each.
    As per all great designer stuff, they are only available in black.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Whoever owns that wall will not be happy.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    it's the guy on the toilet with a fork leg in his head i feel sorry for!
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • No.
    I could source you the 2 pieces required, one for the top to protect the frame and one for the chainring to sit against for only £75. Each.

Actually I think I may end up getting a Topeak Dualtouch Bike Stand, but thanks!
    Whoever owns that wall will not be happy.

It's my wall. I live in a studio and found some office cubicle walls on Craigslist and decided to section off part of the room :)
    it's the guy on the toilet with a fork leg in his head i feel sorry for!

That's actually my bedroom on the other side of the wall and the fork sits comfortable over my legs ^_^
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    What's behind it? Could you put a hook up and hang it from the handlebars and rest the saddle on the wall?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Yes, it is very bad and annoying to start threads with a title that does not give any indication as to what the thread will be about
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    No.

Actually I think I may end up getting a Topeak Dualtouch Bike Stand, but thanks!
    :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    How high is the ceiling? Couldnt you just hook the nose of the saddle over and rest the hoods against the wall?
    Rear wheel off of course

Or all you really need is 2 prongs sticking out the solid wall to hang the bike on
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Yes, it is very bad and annoying to start threads with a title that does not give any indication as to what the thread will be about

Sorry! I changed the title.
    Fudgey wrote:
    How high is the ceiling? Couldnt you just hook the nose of the saddle over and rest the hoods against the wall?
    Rear wheel off of course

Or all you really need is 2 prongs sticking out the solid wall to hang the bike on

I ended up getting the Topeak Dualtouch Bike Stand for a really really good deal :)
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Fair enough. But a pair of these for less than £9 will do the job from screwfix.

http://m.screwfix.com/pr-gallery.htm?id=31487#imggal1
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...