Schwalbe Durano Plus vs Schwalbe Marathon 700x23

kaho_tam
kaho_tam Posts: 8
edited August 2015 in Commuting general
Just got my first road bike with mudguards that gives clearance of up to 700x23 tyres.
I mainly go on roads for commuting between work and home but occasionally tread on glass or dirt paths so I want to get the best puncture resistant tyres for this size.
So far I have two tyres in mind: Schwalbe Durano Plus vs Schwalbe Marathon
Does anyone know what's the difference between the two? Anyone got better recommendations?

Comments

• exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Marathons are heavier but more puncture resistant. They ride a little dead but are the nearest thing to fit and forget tyres you can get. I used them for commuting for three years and never had a puncture. If you really want to be puncture free try marathon plus. They are a bugger to fit though, very tight on the rim and very heavy.
    Am also using durano plus on my best road bike. Very pleased with them as well. They are a very good road/training tyre and a lot faster and lighter than marathons.
    It all depends how bad the roads are on your commute.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • kaho_tam
    kaho_tam Posts: 8
    Thanks for your reply. I had been thinking about the marathon plus but realised that my newly bought expensive mudguard isn't compatible with 700x25.

I think I'm now leaning towards getting one each: marathon for front wheel (for better grip?) and durano plus for rear wheel.... not sure if that makes sense
  • Thanks for your reply. I had been thinking about the marathon plus but realised that my newly bought expensive mudguard isn't compatible with 700x25.

I think I'm now leaning towards getting one each: marathon for front wheel (for better grip?) and durano plus for rear wheel.... not sure if that makes sense

Other way round. I run Durano front, Marathon rear. You are more likely to puncture at the rear.

Also the Marathon doesn't have better grip. Grip wise I would say they are fairly equal. However the cornering is better on the Durano, another reason to use on the front.