...hasn't 'alf put in weight. Now I know she had a baby but still:

IMG_5280.jpg
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And?

You still would.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    And?

You still would.

That's beside the point. It changes the imaginary interplay.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Poker? I'd love to, but I fear I'd lose.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Poker? I'd love to, but I fear I'd lose.

I would like to Just Connect.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Never go back
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    Victoria Coren is a superb poker player, she makes a fairly dull quiz show watchable. Sniping about her size is poor form.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    David Mitchell is certainly punching above his weight. (No pun intended)
  • pinno
    Victoria Coren is a superb poker player, she makes a fairly dull quiz show watchable. Sniping about her size is poor form.

When media people get bigger and bigger it is almost forms an acceptance that being fat/overweight is the norm. I am not expecting Martini girls in bikini's, just women (and men) who aren't overweight.
    The number of fat people I see on a daily basis is phenomenal. The vast majority are overweight. It's poor, it's costing us a fortune (£12m per day and rising just for diabetes for example). I feel quite entitled to have a pop at people who don't bother taking care of themselves. Despite years of medical problems and an under active thyroid, I stay reasonably fit and I am not overweight.
    The NHS is at breaking point, why should we loose the free at the point of service health care system because so many people just don't seem to have any concern for their health? How much are dietary problems and all associated ailments costing the NHS? What life will the children of the fat people have? How can we sustain the rising cost?
    There's even a new thing - 'man bod', making overweight men shapes acceptable.

Rant over. Soz folks. FWIW, this is Bottom bracket - so bollox :P
    James Corden is a fat tw@t. What do you think of that balckpoolkev?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I agree even though I'm no size zero myself. I also agree that bad food, sugary things etc should have a "fat tax" applied. I saw a school kid walking down the road a few weeks ago at 8.30 drinking a can of red bull FFS...

Have a look at your dinner plate tonight, if it's generaly brown then you're doing it wrong.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When media people get bigger and bigger it is almost forms an acceptance that being fat/overweight is the norm. I am not expecting Martini girls in bikini's, just women (and men) who aren't overweight.
    The number of fat people I see on a daily basis is phenomenal. The vast majority are overweight. It's poor, it's costing us a fortune (£12m per day and rising just for diabetes for example). I feel quite entitled to have a pop at people who don't bother taking care of themselves. Despite years of medical problems and an under active thyroid, I stay reasonably fit and I am not overweight.
    The NHS is at breaking point, why should we loose the free at the point of service health care system because so many people just don't seem to have any concern for their health? How much are dietary problems and all associated ailments costing the NHS? What life will the children of the fat people have? How can we sustain the rising cost?
    There's even a new thing - 'man bod', making overweight men shapes acceptable.

Rant over.

+500. This is a pet annoyance of my wife and I. Cannot comprehend how so many people can be stupid enough to eat / drink themselves into obesity with all the attendant health effects. I start to panic after Christmas or an all-inclusive holiday when my trousers are a bit tight on the waist. Now in late middle age I've found I need to do intermittent fasting to stop my weight creeping up, so that's what I do.

Wish I knew what the answer was. Taxing sugar will make bugger all difference. Look at tobacco and alcohol. The NHS is going to be drowning in patients with obesity related conditions that are largely self inflicted and ultimately avoidable. Smoking also baffles and irritates me in equal measure. WTF is wrong with people??? Isn't life sh1t enough without giving yourself mobility problems, type 2 diabetes, COPD and angina?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Agree with Pinarello001........ James Corden is a fat tw@t, I'd have said fat cnut myself. However, Victoria Coren I'd treat her to a night of pleasure. :evil:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'm gona get some sugar coated popcorn for this
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I'll wade in with my size 12's on this. Yeah, it's annoying how being overweight is now seen as a result of the person in question being some sort of hapless victim. My attitude stems from being in my late thirties and single so always facing situations with work colleagues or friends trying to set me up with people they know. Invariably they are now usually porkers but apparently this is not a legit reason for me to turn them down, I've had this discussion on more than one occasion and it seems I'm the one in the wrong for not wanting to date someone heavier than me. Makes me bit of a inconsiderate bastard so it seems :roll:

It's even more odd that it's coincided exactly with the same time as smokers have been totally demonised for their habit, it's like one group has crossed the path into unacceptable behaviour and looked at with disgust whilst the other has travelled in the opposite direction. How did that happen?
  • pinno
    I'll...it seems I'm the one in the wrong for not wanting to date someone heavier than me. Makes me bit of a inconsiderate bastard so it seems :roll:

The fat one's are grateful.

Ducks and runs.
  • pinno
    I'm gona get some sugar coated popcorn for this

Can I have some? Problem is that I am preaching to the converted and I could send blackpoolkev a PM to meet him around the back of Gregg's for a fight in the car park but he's legged it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    The number of fat people I see on a daily basis is phenomenal. The vast majority are overweight.
    Pinarello001 - location: Scotland.

You seem surprised by this observation?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Wish I knew what the answer was. Taxing sugar will make bugger all difference. Look at tobacco and alcohol. The NHS is going to be drowning in patients with obesity related conditions that are largely self inflicted and ultimately avoidable. Smoking also baffles and irritates me in equal measure. WTF is wrong with people??? Isn't life sh1t enough without giving yourself mobility problems, type 2 diabetes, COPD and angina?
    Yeah! Right on!
    Because the taxes on alcohol and tobacco cut out abuse entirely.
    And don't even get to people needing the NHS because they do dangerous stuff like cycling without a helmet.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The number of fat people I see on a daily basis is phenomenal. The vast majority are overweight.
    Pinarello001 - location: Scotland.

You seem surprised by this observation?

Negative Ghost Rider - it's a malaise of the general British population.

People always seem to go on about fatties in the U.S. But if you look around any high street in Britain it's generally a disgrace: massive amounts of obesity, poor eating, no fitness, binge drinking. Generally pretty shy yet all round.

Doing the civvie med work you see the amount of obesity in Britain and its awful: it's getting worse everyday and people don't seem to care. I think the statistic (and I'm typing this offhand and very tired so it's probably completely wrong) is that something like 30% of the population is obese and it's getting worse and I completely believe that. Coming back from the U.S. a few weeks ago after not having been for a while I actually think they are getting smaller, Brits are getting bigger. And don't seem to care.

On the med side everything is having to get bigger to accommodate fatties - wagons, trollies, etc. this leads onto more costs for new equipment, more injuries to staff (you try lifting fatties for a 12 hour shift day after day after day especially when you're a ten stone woman and see how long you last without back/neck injuries) which all cuts into budgets that could be used to help non fatties.

Time Britain looked at itself for a while instead of mocking across the pond.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Brits are getting bigger. And don't seem to care.

One reason they don't care is that they seem to think that it's 'normal'. This is perhaps the backlash from all the knocking given to magazines, advertisers etc. regarding their use of thin models.

I get annoyed at hearing the "I bet she never eats a thing to look like that" sort of comments. How do they know what she eats? she might have a perfectly healthy diet and just looks after herself.

And Victoria Coren? She's overweight.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    The Kate Moss phrase of "'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" (or something) along with the magazine image culture created an idea that having curves was ok. The problem is people don't seem to get where curves and a few extra pounds becomes overweight, then they become obese. I reckon between overweight and obese they stopped caring or didn't like the idea of lifestyle change/hard work (as a sweeping generalisation, mainly at those from glasgow or south of the river)

People are more scared of encouraging someone to be normal or skinny than they are of being curvy. They like to pretend that being fat isn't a disorder in itself.

Maybe half of us have body dis morphia but I'd rather have that than be fat.

Now I'm going back to eating my share bag of twirl bits for breakfast. The advantage of exercise, I don't have to give a shit what I eat too much
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Diamant49
    Diamant49 Posts: 101

It is definitely getting much worse - what you see with a kid going through primary school is that the kids are almost entirely normal skinny wee things in P1, but the majority are heavy by the time they finish.

The NHS doesn't always help much though, its much more about treating consequences than preventing them happening. I am T1 diabetic, so have 3-4 clinics a year and most of the diabetic team were fat/obese - nurses, dieticians and my consultant. I was viewed as one of "their" main successes, but largely did my own research on how to manage things. Its hard to take a talk about healthy eating from someone who clearly isn't practicing what they preach. (Have a new team now, as I am on a pump, and they are all pretty much in the proper normal weight zone).

In part the NHS just reflects wider society norms, I can remember my GP in the 70s smoking during consultations! But our society now expects to be able indulge itself every way it can, and get it fixed at a minimum cost.
  • pinno
    @ Diamant43. I know of another forumite who uses exercise and diet to regulate their blood sugars. However, that is a mind set and you are among the small percentage of people who get diabetes (probably) through no fault of their own.
    What underpins the mentality of poor health and particularly over eating, is I think, a sense of the 'poor helpless me...life isn't what it was supposed to be..'. Put something into society/charity/life and start living, not merely existing. I'm convinced it is an extension of the 'I want' egocentric and materialistic culture that we now live in.
    It would do these people an awful lot of good to ship them out en masse to some 3rd world country to loose the selfishness and introspection.

@ sae15w40 - Haribo swap shop: I'll swap 2 cola bottles for your fried egg.
  • Matthewfalle
    @ Diamant43. I know of another forumite who uses exercise and diet to regulate their blood sugars. However, that is a mind set and you are among the small percentage of people who get diabetes (probably) through no fault of their own.
    What underpins the mentality of poor health and particularly over eating, is I think, a sense of the 'poor helpless me...life isn't what it was supposed to be..'. Put something into society/charity/life and start living, not merely existing. I'm convinced it is an extension of the 'I want' egocentric and materialistic culture that we now live in.
    It would do these people an awful lot of good to ship them out en masse to some 3rd world country to loose the selfishness and introspection.

@ sae15w40 - Haribo swap shop: I'll swap 2 cola bottles for your fried egg.

Its also eating shyt because you're too lazy/ignoranmt/can't be arzed to eat healthy decent food. Ignorance is no defence for being a fat waster.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Crap food is cheap, it can taste pretty good and can be cooked with minimal fuss. It's an easy trap to fall into for some families.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • homers_double
    I can produce a roast dinner to feed four people for around £5.

Granted there have to be a few bits and bobs in the kitchen already, basic seasonings etc but at £1.25 per head I doubt you'll find a ready meal to beat it!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I can produce a roast dinner to feed four people for around £5.

Granted there have to be a few bits and bobs in the kitchen already, basic seasonings etc but at £1.25 per head I doubt you'll find a ready meal to beat it!

I've always had a 'Sunday dinner'; as a kid, living in my first house on my own, and later with Mrs Slog when we got married (now 31 yrs ago). We were thought extravagant by some friends who thought that this was expensive, this was despite the fact that there was usually some left for Monday and something to put in sandwiches :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Matthewfalle
    Crap food is cheap, it can taste pretty good and can be cooked with minimal fuss. It's an easy trap to fall into for some families.

Good food is cheap as well if you can be bothered to look for it - just go to the short coded fridge in the local supermarket for starters: fresh meat, fish, etc all massively discounted.

Eat what you want that day and freeze anything else.

It's like simples, in it.

The myth that people eat rubbish food because it's cheap is trash: they eat rubbish food because they are lazy, or, in the case of Marks & Spencer (and the such like middle class supermarkets) because they think they are too busy/important with thir rather dull careers. Middle management bods running round thinking they are Alan Sugar wearing nothing but processed crud.

Crap food is sometimes much more expensive than decent food plus a tad of effort ........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • seanoconn

Good food is cheap as well if you can be bothered to look for it - just go to the short coded fridge in the local supermarket for starters: fresh meat, fish, etc all massively discounted.

Eat what you want that day and freeze anything else.

It's like simples, in it.

The myth that people eat rubbish food because it's cheap is trash: they eat rubbish food because they are lazy, or, in the case of Marks & Spencer (and the such like middle class supermarkets) because they think they are too busy/important with thir rather dull careers. Middle management bods running round thinking they are Alan Sugar wearing nothing but processed crud.

Crap food is sometimes much more expensive than decent food plus a tad of effort ........
    The short coded fridge is always empty in my supermarket because of mean spirited f**kers buying more than they need and freezing the rest!
  • homers_double
    Or perhaps those on a budget who are trying to bring up healthy kids by cooking decent meals by freezing food so it keeps?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • seanoconn
    Or perhaps those on a budget who are trying to bring up healthy kids by cooking decent meals by freezing food so it keeps?
    No I was right the first time. People playing shifts of cowboys and Indians for a living, hanging around supermarkets with their military sized bags waiting for the fridges to be stocked up. I'll mention no names (MW) look after number one.

And you can't talk, force feeding your kids roast potatoes every day, their cholesterol must be through the roof!