The Sagan saga

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited July 2015 in Pro race
Poor bloke. No stage wins and not for the lack of trying. There's Gripper bloke with 3 stage wins (no less) and he isn't even in green. However, that just underlines Sagan's consistency. He's always there or there abouts at the end of a stage unless it is a mtf/mountainous stage.
Looks like Sagan will take the Points jersey for the second year running but I don't quite know why the press criticism of him considering the above.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    This will be the 4'th consecutive year he's taken green
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Was never really a fan of Sagan, but he has completely won me over this season. Phenomenal in the Tour so far and doesn't seem to let working for someone like Oleg affect him.
  • pinno

He won stage 7 in the 2013 TdF.

Poor grammar - should have read '...winning the green jersey for the 2nd time without winning a stage...'.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

He won stage 7 in the 2013 TdF.

Poor grammar - should have read '...winning the green jersey for the 2nd time without winning a stage...'.

Kelly used to do similar. Crushing consistency but not a lot of stages (only four in total and only one in a green jersey year).

Not a bad act to follow.

Of course Sagan might win 8 Green Jerseys...
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Was never really a fan of Sagan, but he has completely won me over this season. Phenomenal in the Tour so far and doesn't seem to let working for someone like Oleg affect him.

Similar to me - I admired him, but couldn't warm to him. But after 2 weeks of this years tour he is now a firm favorite.

Just wish he didn't have to wear that awful TS team kit (Same for AC really - one of the most aesthetically pleasing of riders, in the most ugly kit!)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sagan is still only 25 and has a palmares majority of riders would be happy to retire on.

I just wish he would cut his hair...there is so much of it his helmet stands quite high on his head making the photos look odd.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pinno
    To be a Kelly, he needs to win some classics. I think that will come. So much of winning PR or Flanders is experience. 2nd Flanders, 2nd Milan San Remo, so many seconds and only a Ghent Wevelgem win to boot. Hopefully he will stay upright/fit for the next 10 years and turn those 2nd's into 1sts.
    In the modern era, to be scrapping all season long and almost always in the mix is quite something.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I quite like Sagan but I don't know why everyone was so impressed with his descent into Gap. Admittedly it was very brave but he overcooked several corners and lost time. If he had been that good a descender he would have taken a smoother line through the corners and carried his exit speed instead of having to accelerate every time he hauled on he anchors.

I also think it was a bit strange on the climb prior to that why he let Plaza get so far ahead yet had enough energy to mark several attacks from other riders in the chase group. He definitely seems to lack something in tactical nous.
  • timoid.
    To be a Kelly, he needs to win some classics. I think that will come. So much of winning PR or Flanders is experience. 2nd Flanders, 2nd Milan San Remo, so many seconds and only a Ghent Wevelgem win to boot. Hopefully he will stay upright/fit for the next 10 years and turn those 2nd's into 1sts.
    In the modern era, to be scrapping all season long and almost always in the mix is quite something.

Kelly won his first classic at 27.

Sagan is 25.

The potential is definitely there.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I'm a big fan to be honest. I know a fair few people think he is a plonker with all his wheelying etc. I just think he is having a laugh and doesn't take himself seriously.

He won the tour of california, admittedly against a field that wasn't all that tough, but he still managed to get over some big climbs quick enough to protect his lead. Should he maybe try focusing on his climbing and cut some weight maybe look to challenge in a GT, probably with another team, or is he better of sticking to Classics and chasing the points?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Kelly won his first classic at 27.
    Sagan is 25.

The potential is definitely there.
    Sean Kelly did not get the same level of money for all his efforts as present day riders with all the media coverage these days.
    Will Sagan have the need to match Kelly's Palmares as a Multi Millionare. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I like him. He's having fun. He'll get his win.

-my one moan: People are starting to go a little overboard with crediting him for things he isn't actually doing though.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    -my one moan: People are starting to go a little overboard with crediting him for things he isn't actually doing though.
    Ha, The Carton Kirby Syndrome.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Also, to be a Kelly he has to top 10 in the Tour 4 times, and win a GT. And win Paris-Nice 7 times in a row.

NO-ONE will ever be a Kelly. He is the King. That is all. :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I will never like a groper.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    True. To compare him with Kelly is not on. Lets see what Sagan has achieved in 6 or 7 years time.

The green jersey is all very well but I bet he would swap it for a couple of stage wins. Crossing the line first, arms in the air, is what racing is all about. Ask Cavendish.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    grey socks. really...

Admire his willingness to try stuff and slowly his tactical brain is nearly there!
  • timoid.
    Pah. I'm not comparing him to Kelly now. But he has the potential. Four green jerseys at his age is remarkable. If he clicks in the monuments (as Kelly did in his mid/late twenties) he could hoover up half a dozen or more. The lad is a phenom. Of course he will never be as hard as Kelly, but who could be?

And this is coming from the biggest Kelly fan on the planet.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    He need's to learn a lot from Valerde...

Both great year round but Valverde is a masterclass in fleshing things off. Sagan seems to get caught in his head to much.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • pinno

What? How could you resist? If I was to end up (in my wildest dreams and 20 years younger) on a podium, i'd be arrested.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Brian Holm just called Sagan the best rider he's ever seen.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

That's the sort of lunacy that made it easy to root against him in the first place. It calmed down over the last 3 years, but now it's back.

I really don't want to start rooting against him again.
  • Brian Holm just called Sagan the best rider he's ever seen.

That's the sort of lunacy that made it easy to root against him in the first place. It calmed down over the last 3 years, but now it's back.

Why would you be influenced by what Brian Holm thinks?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

At what point am I allowed to start calling him the new Boassan Hagen?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

What? How could you resist? If I was to end up (in my wildest dreams and 20 years younger) on a podium, i'd be arrested.

Most men who have been brought up to respect women will know by the age of 13 that touching someone's ars* without consent is a thing reserved for dirty old perverts.

And being a woman, no I will never like a groper and funnily enough will always manage to resist.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Yes he did blot his copybook with that incident.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    He need's to learn a lot from Valerde...

Both great year round but Valverde is a masterclass in fleshing things off. Sagan seems to get caught in his head to much.

Is he using the wrong syringe?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

He didn't based it on wheelies, funny jokes, or his second places. He based it on his versatility and the 99% of what we don't see in tv, what you have sit in the team car close to the race and riders to see.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Everyone has a dig at Oleg, but I reckon working for him would be fun. He has high expectations and as well as being harsh and public in his criticism, he is fulsome in his praise.
    What the boss says on Twitter is one thing, what he says direct to his riders counts for a lot more
  • pinno

Most men who have been brought up to respect women will know by the age of 13 that touching someone's ars* without consent is a thing reserved for dirty old perverts.

And being a woman, no I will never like a groper and funnily enough will always manage to resist.

How could you resist? :)

I am still looking for people on Po Face with a sense of humour. The search continues...