Rear brake squeals when NOT pedalling/turning

timbooth
timbooth Posts: 160
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
The saga continues...

Having dismantled the Avid Elixir 1 rear brake and re-seated the piston, then bled it, I thought I was home and dry.

No.

The brake now squeals like a pig when I stop pedalling, or go slowly. If I start pedalling, it stops again.

It also likes to make a noise when I turn?!?

Please can someone help me to fix this - I cannot think what the problem is - the bike in question is a touring version of the Giant NRS.

Thanks

p4pb948711.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pad or caliper is rubbing on the disc set it up then go ride to bed it in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • timbooth
    Thanks - I have already tried that but will try re-seating the rear calliper again.

Why is that it only makes a noise when I am not pedalling? What is the impact of pedalling pad/rotor?

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pedaling loads will twist the wheel in the frame slightly, especially on an FS with linkages.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timbooth
    Thanks - I thought that could be the case, but I guessed that would mean the brake squeals whilst I pedal, not when I coast?!?!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could mean either, worth checking all the pivot bearings as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.