Help me choose a bike for around £500

Chicken Nugget
Chicken Nugget Posts: 26
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to buy my first mountain bike and was recommended to buy a Rockrider 560 for my budget (£500).

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-id_8293151.html

I was told this bike is a steal at its current £400 asking price and that I would have to pay allot more to get a similar spec on another make of bike. I was just wondering if there was any other bikes to consider which are around this price? If I was to get a similar spec on another make of bike what sort of money would I be looking at. I know absolutely nothing about bikes at all but just want to buy the best I can for my money.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doubt you'll do better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you for the replies, thats good to hear.

How much more would I have to spend to get an equivalent spec from another brand? The only reason why I am asking is that they are sold out of the Large size.
  • cooldad
    A couple of hundred probably.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or more.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    For £400 it's a bargain! The Calibre Two. Two is a little less, but the fork isn't as good and the Rockrider has slightly better components, but only slightly. Not long ago it was in the sale for £300, at that price it would be a tough decision, but at current prices the Rockrider wins.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two-two-alloy-hardtail-mountain-bike-p275612

Still love my Calibre though. ;)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Wow a few hundred more is a fair chunk of change.

Cheers jamski I will keep that bike on the back burner if I cant get the right size.

One more question which I hope people can help me with is I would also like to buy the wife a bike so she can coming out with me. Would I have to get a specific womens bike or would the rockrider 560 be ok?
  • cooldad
    Should be fine - let her sit on one.

Woman's bikes tend to be slightly shorter and have wider saddles. My partner does fine on a man's bike with a woman specific saddle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I will take her with me to try it out. Looking on the Decathlon store the frame dimensions are identical between the woman's rockrider 540 and the mens 560. The main difference from a quick glance is as you say the saddle. If she is comfortable on the bike I will buy her one and maybe ask the store if they have a suitable saddle for her?

Edit in fact the link on both bikes (560 and 540 womens) link back to the same page namely this one:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/media/829/8293151/big_88a2cfed3450408ba49f8d22d8bac547.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've seen £800 bikes that are inferior to the Rockrider!
  • Thats mighty fine praise.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or the fact that the big brand names are ripping people off!

The RR is great value, even more so while it's at the reduced price, I suspect the next model year is on it's way and it will be back to circa £500-550.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Or the fact that the big brand names are ripping people off!

The RR is great value, even more so while it's at the reduced price, I suspect the next model year is on it's way and it will be back to circa £500-550.

I believe you are right, the next model is listed at £630 and has a few changes to the spec according to this:

http://www.btwin.com/blog/blog-and-news/2015-brand-new-mountain-bikes-rockrider-560/
  • Can anyone suggest a women specific bike for upto £500 to try? My wife went to Decathlon today and they didn't have a small size for her to try but she did have a go at a medium which was a bit big. I just want her to try a women's bike to compare and see which one she feels more comfortable on.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Women's bikes at this price point (and many more) just tend to be mens bikes with girly colours and a soft saddle. Some have slightly shorter top tubes than the man's equivalent, but another brand of the same listed size could be identical. I'd try and get them to get a small Rockrider in.
  • Thanks once again to all for the help and advice, I have ordered a medium and a small rockrider 560 and picked up a car carrier so I am ready when it arrives.

I did notice that the 560 comes with clipless pedals so Decathlon have said they would chuck in some flat pedals for free which pleased me. I now just have to buy a few accessories and I am all set.