What to eat before after work ride

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
Hi guys

Just getting back into cycling after being off the bike for a couple of years. I'm a hobby cyclist and trying to lose some weight and am currently trying to get 3 x 20mile rides in a week. This basicaly means I need to go out as soon as I get home from work at 6pm. Problem is by the time I get home I'm starving and half way through the ride I feel pretty weak, so I'm looking for something I can eat before I leave work around 5ish and that will take me through until I get to eat dinner at 7.30ish.

Any suggestions of what will take the edge off the hunger but won't defeat the object of the ride by piling on the calories?

Thanks
ps. Not sure if it makes a difference but breakfast is normally bowl of cereal and lunch a sandwich
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Hi guys

Just getting back into cycling after being off the bike for a couple of years. I'm a hobby cyclist and trying to lose some weight and am currently trying to get 3 x 20mile rides in a week. This basicaly means I need to go out as soon as I get home from work at 6pm. Problem is by the time I get home I'm starving and half way through the ride I feel pretty weak, so I'm looking for something I can eat before I leave work around 5ish and that will take me through until I get to eat dinner at 7.30ish.

Any suggestions of what will take the edge off the hunger but won't defeat the object of the ride by piling on the calories?

Thanks
    ps. Not sure if it makes a difference but breakfast is normally bowl of cereal and lunch a sandwich

Make an extra sandwich, have that about 3:30 and you'll be fine. Maybe have banana before you start getting changed.
  • KheSanh
    KheSanh Posts: 62
    Instant oats from myprotein are great and should keep you full, it's just Oat flour so same as having porridge but not cooked that you mix up with semi skimmed milk in a shaker bottle. Two scoops with 150ml of semi-skimmed milk would be about 320cal, have it about 1hr before and should keep you full. Or have a banana as you're going round.
  • I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Banana. Healthy medium-release carbs and some electrolytes to boot.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Thanks guys, not sure about the oaty gruel mix! but a banana sounds like the perfcet solution.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • KheSanh
    KheSanh Posts: 62
    Thanks guys, not sure about the oaty gruel mix! but a banana sounds like the perfcet solution.

It tastes better than it sounds, especially with some honey or syrup. Another good simple pre-ride snack to keep you full is Weetabix or if you have a microwave handy at work a two egg omelette is also a good one.
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    How about a fuel source/carb drink to consume whilst out riding?

Sometimes that's enough for me to go out for a hour or so on an empty tank.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    If its not convienant to make yourself something at work SIS does a very good range of products to fuel your efforts and recovery etc.

there are some special deals on at the moment with Free delivery @ http://tidd.ly/38003c7f
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use museli bars but it depends what works for your body really, a banana would have little effect on my by its self. I would try experimenting to see what works.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    "Eat Natural" bars are pretty good and work for me

I usually buy one with my lunch if im riding in the evening and have it about 5pm
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    If you ate a decent breakfast and lunch you'd be fine! You are, after all, trying to LOSE weight - so need a calorie deficit, not more food!

I mange quite well (caveat - I'm a sedentary office worker) on a bowl of home made muesli (Alpen would do but I don't want / like the added sugar) with fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast (at 06:15), a banana and a pint of protein shake - skimmed milk, two scoops of whey protein, 2 of powdered oats - at lunch (12:30) before going out for a 20 miler at 17:00, and eating when I get back around 18:30

Keep hydrated is the best advice I can give - and if you must take an energy gel, but try and not use it unless in dire straits.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    If you ate a decent breakfast and lunch you'd be fine! You are, after all, trying to LOSE weight - so need a calorie deficit, not more food!

Well kinda, except I really badly struggle to exercise on an empty stomach and by 5 or 6pm I am normally totally starving...

I find that I only need 200 or 300 calories worth an hour or so before I leave to get me through a 2 hour ride after work without feeling too bad, and if I'm burning 400-600 calories an hour for 2 hours I'll still be in a deficit.

If you're happy exercising on a totally empty stomach then that's fine, but I can't do it.