Remote shock locks

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Does anyone know if any of the following shocks are designed to be used with remotes?:
1. Fox CTD Evolution
2. RockShox Monarch RT
If so roughly how much does it cost for the kit?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Different versions have remote (Monarch RL) but pointless IMO and even more to try and retrofit.

Mojo (Fox) or TF Tuned (RS) would be able to tell you what you want to know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why do you want one? (I'm asking this to see if you understand why you probably don't by the way)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • james22b2
    james22b2 Posts: 132
    Why do you want one? (I'm asking this to see if you understand why you probably don't by the way)

Thought it might be handy for locking the shock before climbing a hill..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get a bike with decent rear suspension and you will never need it anyway.
    It's really not difficult to reach down and flick the switch on the shock. Same for fork lockout.
    With dropper remote, gears and brakes you don't want another lever on your bars and another cable.
  • Why do you want one? (I'm asking this to see if you understand why you probably don't by the way)

That's exactly what it is, handy for climbing or any sections of smooth tarmac. There seems to be a lot of dislike towards remote lockouts on these forums, not sure why?

You wouldn't want your shifters mounted on your downtube, so why reach down for a lockout? One extra lever hardly makes much difference on the bars and bars are so wide now it's hardly cluttered. The flick of a switch mounted next to your shifters and brakes is a lot quicker than fumbling about when you want to unlock when things start getting rough.

Anything that means you can keep both hands on the grips at all times can only be a good thing. Considering these are go anywhere machines it makes sense to me.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The reasons for the dislike of lockouts are that they are all poorly made and unreliable, especially when cables get sticky. You end up with a mess of cables and nothing to attach them to and it clutters your bars with levers you will rarely use.
    Most modern frames when combined with a decent shock don't need a lock or pedal switch.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You'll find especially on road the biggest drag factor is the big knobbly mountain bike tyres.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

That's exactly what it is, handy for climbing or any sections of smooth tarmac. There seems to be a lot of dislike towards remote lockouts on these forums, not sure why?

You wouldn't want your shifters mounted on your downtube, so why reach down for a lockout? One extra lever hardly makes much difference on the bars and bars are so wide now it's hardly cluttered. The flick of a switch mounted next to your shifters and brakes is a lot quicker than fumbling about when you want to unlock when things start getting rough.

Anything that means you can keep both hands on the grips at all times can only be a good thing. Considering these are go anywhere machines it makes sense to me.

You shift gear a lot more frequently than needing (if you ever do need it) to lock out the shock, which doesn't actually lock anyway, fortunately.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing...my Scott has a Twinlock to lock both fork and shock and i used it all the time...very handy when you have the odd flat/uphill section on an otherwise downhill trail. One flick and you have a nice rigid bike, another flick and your back to full bounce mode when your going down again. Made for a really nice flowy ride.
    Cant help with the specific fork/shocks you mentioned, the tech pdfs on the makers website normally contain info on that sort of thing...
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's only very specific shocks which will take a remote. I don't know of any standard ones which can have a remote retro fitted. Some Rockshox forks can be retro fitted but the Rockshox remote is an awful piece of hopeless tat (I have had three and binned all of them when they seized). If you can retro fit a remote to your shock, is there an un-used cable guide in the right place to route the cables?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a poplock thingummy on my fork on my hardtail which splits its time 50:50 on tarmac and when locked becomes a taught rigid tarmac ready bike.

I have nothing on my trail bike and dont miss it at all - the suspension works better with the rear shock unlocked which as it assists grip under pedalling pressure is a good thing right?

Oh and I use the stiffer compression setting on some climbs - its the little blue lever I can reach with my right hand pretty easily.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.