disc brake, steel frame road bike

nik_c
nik_c Posts: 61
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I would like to ask for your advice on the following: My situation is that my old bike is falling apart. It is a very nice Falcon in Merckx orange with campagnolo rims, tubualar tyres (beautifully light and spritely, but what a pain to replace and pay for in case of a flat!) and obviously a steel frame. I am cycling a lot and long distances and as the bike isi coming up to 40years in age, I can't keep up the repairs .

To cut a long story short, I am looking for a new one. I am thinking of a disc brake, steel frame one such like the Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10 [http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b185s6p15242/GENESIS_Equilibrium_Disc_10_Road_Bike_2015].

The £900 this costs at the moment is also my top price point at the moment. Looking at the components I think they could be better though (I just spent the last 6 years upgrading my MTP with better quality components than are on the Genesis and it has been worth it in terms of quality of the ride, and longevity of the components).

Does anyone know of an alternative I might have missed so far, or would it make sense to self-build. Are there any disc brake ready, steel individual frames out there? What are your experiences ?

Thank you kindly!

Nik

Comments