New Bike, what to do before riding?

Felipe2105
Felipe2105 Posts: 68
edited July 2015 in MTB general
I've just bought myself a new Full sus Canyon Nerve and am going to test the thing out at Cannock Chase next weekend. Just thinking if there's anything I need to do before I go?

So far I'm thinking of fashioning a chainstay protector from an old innertube, as well as get some 3M tape for parts of the frame...any others I should be thinking of? :)

Comments

• I've just bought myself a new Full sus Canyon Nerve and am going to test the thing out at Cannock Chase next weekend. Just thinking if there's anything I need to do before I go?

So far I'm thinking of fashioning a chainstay protector from an old innertube, as well as get some 3M tape for parts of the frame...any others I should be thinking of? :)

With a clutch mech you probably won't find much need for a chainstay protector, although it does no harm.

I'd just be making sure you check the bikes setup first - contact points all ok for you, everything tightened up appropriately, gears properly indexed, suspension sag + rebound set..
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Take a photo of it as it will be the only time it looks new!
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Take the bell and reflectors off
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193

and the plastic disc behind the cassette
  • Felipe2105

and the plastic disc behind the cassette

ha, thanks guys! Luckily these came separately so didn't even get them out the bag!

Slightly going off topic but how does a clutch mech make a difference, will I get less chain slap with one? (I didn't even know I had one!!)

I've got one of these on the back - SHIMANO DEORE XT SHADOW PLUS, 10S
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The spring that controls the chain tension has a damper (in the form of a clutch), this helps reduce unwanted loss of control of the chain tension, for example when landing off a drop the weight of the chain (top and bottom runs) pulling the chain down so that the top run clatters the chain stay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Grab some spare tubes, a puncture repair kit (if not tubeless) and a quick link or two for the chain as they will come in handy sooner or later.

Also make sure the QR/axles are done up properly and tires at the right psi.

Thats pretty much what I done anyway, and enjoy!
  • Felipe2105
    Cheers gents! Tubeless is on my list too at some point, looks like something I can do myself so might be a nice project. I've got Mavic Crosswide Wheels though so need to make sure I get the right kit (and if I can even go tubeless on them!)

Getting spare tubes etc tonight, as well as a few tools for when I'm out :)
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Tell your missus you won't be back for dinner....
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Hopefully you've already got one or its on the list, but you'll need a shock pump.
  • Felipe2105
    Yeah, got a shock pump with it!

So, are there any groups that regularly go up to Cannock Chase on here? If so, I'll see you saturday!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get the suspension set up with a sensible base setting.
    I have seen someone go off a 4' drop on his brand new bike with no rebound damping at all and far too much air in the rear shock. It didn't end well.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Check your brake levers, caliper bolts and pad pins are in place and correct torque etc
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Felipe2105
    I didn't die at the weekend and loved riding the Canyon I bought, gives you loads of confidence when riding too.

Anyway, I made my first GoPro vid of my ride so take a look if you've got a few minutes to waste - https://youtu.be/5EZnEbOVfbY