Two Bikes, One Power Meter......

crossed
crossed Posts: 237
I'm currently running a Quarq power meter on my road bike but for the winter I've bought a second bike to train and commute on.
The good bike will be getting used on the turbo during the winter and won't be venturing outdoors much.

I generally use Trainerroad with my turbo and in the past have used the virtual power readings. For the winter would it be better so keep the power meter on the good bike for use on the turbo or should I just use virtual power on the turbo and stick the power meter on the winter bike?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    How good is the virtual power on the turbo? Perhaps it's worth doing a few sessions where you record power from your PM and see what the virtual power readings are, and compare the two. If they are there or thereabouts, then you can swap the power meter out and use it for training outside.

Otherwise I guess you're going to want the PM to be where you're going to be doing the bulk of your training - which isn't necessarily the same as the bulk of your riding. It may be in winter that outside rides are just spinning the legs so no particular need for power there?
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    Good point, well made.

I'll fire up the turbo and do a couple of sessions to see how the power meter reading compares to the virtual power that Trainerroad gives me.
  • Good point, well made.

I'll fire up the turbo and do a couple of sessions to see how the power meter reading compares to the virtual power that Trainerroad gives me.

And why would you need to pay for TrainerRoad if you have a PM?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    You can with some fiddling get the results a bit closer too. Have the turbo on a different setting to the TR profile can get things closer to your PM.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    And why would you need to pay for TrainerRoad if you have a PM?

The entire point of trainer road is training with power data? Or am I missing something here?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Trainerroad is buttons compared to a powermeter. It is worth paying for.