Stage 16 TdF 2015 Bourg-de-Peage - Gap *SPOILERS*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited July 2015 in Pro race
Hilly stage to Gap, normally a breakaway (Costa, Hushovd, Poulinho, most recently). No reason it shouldn't be today.

PROFIL.png

coldemanse.jpg

Expect this to feature widely in the commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8m5-sR6I4

clairette-de-die.jpg

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Is the Manse the col that Beloki crashed on in 2003?
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769

Yes, it is.

So, considering this descent is now notorious and people will be pushing to try to take time gaps, where do we stand on the whole "don't attack the Yellow Jersey if the rider has a problem"?

If Froome, and I don't think he will, comes a cropper through no fault but his own, is it ok for Nibbles, Bertie and co to keep riding? Or should they wait?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853

Yes, it is.

So, considering this descent is now notorious and people will be pushing to try to take time gaps, where do we stand on the whole "don't attack the Yellow Jersey if the rider has a problem"?

If Froome, and I don't think he will, comes a cropper through no fault but his own, is it ok for Nibbles, Bertie and co to keep riding? Or should they wait?

On the final descent into the finish? They should keep riding.

When the race is on, all's fair. When it's tranquilo, you wait.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Here's a little something to chew on for those who thinks that this race is all over.

Here's a comparison of Quintana's GC positions at the last week rest day and at the end

2013 Tour de France
    Rest day: 6th +5.47
    Final: 2nd +4.20

2014 Giro d'Italia
    Rest day: 5th +2.40
    Final: 1st -2.58
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Great stage for Valverde to promote his podium credentials. Get Quintana to force a chase over the top and jump TJ and Contador on the descent.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Here's a little something to chew on for those who thinks that this race is all over.

Here's a comparison of Quintana's GC positions at the last week rest day and at the end

2013 Tour de France

2014 Giro d'Italia

That takes into account the minute or so 'gained' on the final stage, i assume?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    Yes, but on the other hand that was less than Froome gained in a time trial that we don't have this time.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Is this the descent where TV Tommy detoured into someone's drive and the one where Contador attacked Froome and nearly came a cropper?

I know its the infamous Beloki Moaning Schleck descent but I can't remember if its the same one where the above incidents occurred.

It seems all roads into Gap merge into one for me.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Is this the descent where TV Tommy detoured into someone's drive and the one where Contador attacked Froome and nearly came a cropper?

I know its the infamous Beloki Moaning Schleck descent but I can't remember if its the same one where the above incidents occurred.

Don't know about Tommy but it is the one where Contador fell.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Looks like it'll be dry anyway which should take some of the uncertainty away - be interesting to see if anyone decides to give it a go on the descent - I'd have thought if a GC man is planning on that they'd want to keep the break in check as a time bonus would make it more worthwhile - hardly worth taking big risks for the relatively small gaps you'd pull out going downhill. If we see Tinkoff, Movistar or Astana (Nibali might think he'd be given some leeway) doing a bit of work on the front that might indicate fireworks at the end.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Don't know about Tommy but it is the one where Contador fell.

Merci.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

The TV Tommy detour was on the stage to Pinerolo, the descent of the Pramartino climb. Otherwise, all your memories are of the Manse.
  • The_Boy
    Yes, but on the other hand that was less than Froome gained in a time trial that we don't have this time.

Sure. I was just making sure I "got" the numbers.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Macaloon
    edited July 2015
    Kimmage had a go at Froome about his unbelievable TT on stage 1 (+50s Dennis)?
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage Jul 4
    In 2012, @chrisfroome finished 11th in the Tour prologue at Liege. A year later he blitzed the favourites by +2 minutes in TT. Today? 39th.

Chris Froome ‏@chrisfroome Jul 4
    @PaulKimmage In 2012 major focus on TT with long TDF TT’s & Olympic TT. Haven’t spent half as much time on my TT bike this year, no point.

God knows what ASO will do for TT kms in 2016.
  • RichN95.

My point was more about the positions than times. Quintana is a week three rider and I expect him to take back time.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

2013 Tour de France

2014 Giro d'Italia
    It's impressive, but I'm still wondering if some people are being a little too fast to draw the conclusion that he's always going to do well in the last week of a GT based on those two events. Maybe he is, but it seems a little early to say for sure. If he does it will make this interesting though!
  • The_Boy
    Kimmage had a go at Froome about his unbelievable TT on stage 1 (+50s Dennis)?
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage Jul 4
    In 2012, @chrisfroome finished 11th in the Tour prologue at Liege. A year later he blitzed the favourites by +2 minutes in TT. Today? 39th.

Chris Froome ‏@chrisfroome Jul 4
    @PaulKimmage In 2012 major focus on TT with long TDF TT’s & Olympic TT. Haven’t spent half as much time on my TT bike this year, no point.

God knows what ASO will do for TT kms in 2016.

There was also a change in wind conditions, wasn't there? I mean, Pinot is by no means a *bad* tester, but he's certainly not the one that you would pick as getting the best time from the GC riders. Not even on a short course that might have suited him better than many.
  • The_Boy

My point was more about the positions than times. Quintana is a week three rider and I expect him to take back time.

Yeah, i got where you were coming from, and agree that Quintana is very much one for the third week. I was just musing the numbers in my head a bit and was easier to check with you than on cqranking as I'm on my phone.
  • Macaloon
    There was also a change in wind conditions, wasn't there? I mean, Pinot is by no means a *bad* tester, but he's certainly not the one that you would pick as getting the best time from the GC riders. Not even on a short course that might have suited him better than many.

I think there was. I only posted the exchange because Froome certainly looks as if he's addressed his relative weaknesses - positioning, handling, climbing vs Quintana - as he suggested at the time.

The only remaining hopes for humanity are that he hasn't been under sustained pressure, and he hasn't faced the 3rd weakness, yet.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I'm pretty sure that Armstrong & Beloki were trying to catch Vino on that stage. Noone managed it and Vino took the stage win. I wonder if Nibs or Fuglsang could do something similar this year for his team?
  • Macaloon
    BMC: TJvG wtf GVA DNS. (GVA jnr)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I'm pretty sure that Armstrong & Beloki were trying to catch Vino on that stage. Noone managed it and Vino took the stage win. I wonder if Nibs or Fuglsang could do something similar this year for his team?
    They would only claw back about a minute of time, if that. I guess that would be more useful for TJ than Nibali. Or what about Valverde? It's the kind of gradient that might suit him…
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Heavyweight Sagan in the initial break.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Led by Peter Sagan, 12 riders broke clear from their breakaway comapnions and are: Grivko, Riblon, Sagan, De Gendt, Geschke, Haller, Jungels, Oliveira, Plaza Molina, Navarro, Fedrigo and Pauwels. They lead the peloton by 1:10 (km 20)

Gallopin in a group of 16 slightly behind
  • frenchfighter
    Andriy Grivko (Astana), Christophe Riblon (AG2R), Peter Sagan (Tinkoff-Saxo) Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal), Simon Geschke, Marco Haller (Katusha), Bob Jungels (Trek), Nelson Oliveira (Lampre-Merida), Ruben Plaza Molina (Lampre-Merida), Daniel Navarro (Cofidis), Pierrick Fedrigo (Bretagne-Seche-Environnement), Serge Pauwels (MTN-Qhubeka)

These guys out front. There was a larger group but it has split. The original group contained Gallopin.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Today's intermediate sprint is apparently in a place called "Die"
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Heavyweight Sagan in the initial break.

was impressed to read he spent yesterday in the break and still managed 4th in the sprint
  • frenchfighter
    Chasers:
    Michele Scarponi (Astana), Imanol Erviti (Movistar), Tony Gallopin (Lotto-Soudal), Adam Hansen (Lotto-Soudal), Michal Golas (Eitxx-QuickStep), Matteo Trentin (Etixx-QuickStep), Thomas Voeckler (Europcar), Laurent Didier (Trek), Markel irizar (Trek), Pippo Pozzato (Lampre-Merida), Luis Angel Mate (Cofidis), Jan Barta (Bora-Argon), Pierre-Luc Perichon (Bretagne-Seche Environnement), and Edvald Boasson-Hagen (MTN)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Gallopin now waiting for the bunch
  • frenchfighter
    Break has forced Gallopin to drop back. Nice move though.
    Contador is the Greatest