Giant anthem serial number for insurance-bike register

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited July 2015 in MTB general
I read somewhere here that the frame's number on giant anthems are engraved on the bottom of the BB shell.

Had a look at mine, and I struggled to make out the number engraved on the frame.

There is a small sticker beside it with a barcode, and what appears to be a frame number, but it's DIFFERENT to the engraved number?

Starts with GZ.

So today had a look at the giant box the bike arrived in, and indeed, there's a label on the box which has frame: GZ...... written on it? Same as the one on the sticker?

Should I ignore the engraved number on the bike then?

And since we're at it, ANY POINT IN BIKEREGISTER?

Thanks

Comments

• Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    I read somewhere here that the frame's number on giant anthems are engraved on the bottom of the BB shell.

Had a look at mine, and I struggled to make out the number engraved on the frame.

There is a small sticker beside it with a barcode, and what appears to be a frame number, but it's DIFFERENT to the engraved number?

Starts with GZ.

So today had a look at the giant box the bike arrived in, and indeed, there's a label on the box which has frame: GZ...... written on it? Same as the one on the sticker?

Should I ignore the engraved number on the bike then?

Thanks

I too have a Giant and did struggle reading the engraved number, so just kept the sticker on the box, photo'd the sticker on the bike and the same with the engraved number the flash showed it up better. Any problems the insurance company can try argue but in the event of a claim I believe I have done enough to prove it is mine.

Bike register, maybe just to be on the cautious side but I haven't had a stolen bike returned to me makes you wonder where they do go.
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    So, if the engraved number is NOT the frame number, which one should I put in the box on the online form on Bikeregister's website?

The number on the sticker on the bottom of the frame can be simply removed and thrown away buy anyone who nicks the bike?
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    I'd give the engraved number and photo all other ones. Quick call to your insurance company will clear everything up.
  • Rashomon
    Rashomon Posts: 7
    I'm wondering about that too. I guess it could act as a deterrent, though policemen don't usually stop bike riders to check whether the bike actually belongs to them (unlike with cars!).