Ashton rides again!

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited July 2015 in MTB general
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hats off for effort!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Fantastic video
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    One of the most wonderful and moving cycling videos I've ever seen - showing as much about friendship and respect and the simple joy of doing something that was once taken for granted.

Having said that, look at how he still moves his upper body on the bike - great technique.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Wow! The kind of balls that most of us can't even dream of. Inspiring.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i just watched that, absolutely excellent. I love how happy he is and i love the way he is out with his mates having a blast and they are enjoying it as much as him.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just watched it again. Just needs to add an electric motor to help with the uphill bits.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Just watched it again. Just needs to add an electric motor to help with the uphill bits.

defiantly crying out for one. Showed it to a guy who is in a wheelchair, he wants a go!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Excellent video. Looks like he's having a great time! I hope he can keep it up and get back to riding for fun with his mates regularly.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,874
    i just watched that, absolutely excellent. I love how happy he is and i love the way he is out with his mates having a blast and they are enjoying it as much as him.

Plus massive potato
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Excellent idea, I wonder if thats whats next?
    I see he's been on the Motorbikes again, so it might be a maybe?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Great story!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Such great news! Slightly annoyed that he seems faster than me already though!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Ashton was my childhood (well, late teenhood) cycling hero. Now he's just my hero.

Struggled not to have a little joyfull weep at that video.

if you read/watch his post accident talks about the accident, my god that man has tenacity and a positive outlook in abundance. if I had a son I'd instantly rename him after him.
    Insert bike here:
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Ha, you beat me to it. I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

In my late teens I kept loads of posters from the centre pages of MBUK with Martyn on, I would spend hours outside the house practicing bunny hops and trying to manual etc hoping to one day ride like him, I'm stll trying now in my 30's.

What an absolute legend
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    What a star.
    Yes, electric assist and you'll be eating his dust!
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    Fantastic shows that "impossible is nothing".

Also we all moan about electric bikes but doesn't this justify them being able to do the ups and downs. When electric bikes move on to the next phase it should be better using technology like KERS.

Clearly ashton has big balls and I salute you.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Indeed my mtb hero! always was but more so now!

He is scary skilled, I think a lot of able body peeps would struggle to stay with him still!, I liked the chats he has done on it saying he'd like to be able to ride a world cup track haha! man has no fear!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also we all moan about electric bikes but doesn't this justify them being able to do the ups and downs.
    I have no issue for those who 'need' (as opposed to 'want') E-bikes using them, like the German guy in his 70's who has been able to keep going out as he was starting to find the uphills a bit hard for him!
    https://www.electricbike.com/lightest-bike/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bumped into a couple of 80+ chaps in Surrey Hills last week ripping trails on ebikes. Many grins in evidence.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Had a shit couple of days with a loss of a family member. First really true smile I have had in no little while. So darn cool. I just loved the smile on his face. The true joy of riding a bike. Awesome and a real credit.

Should not be a surprise really as you can't keep a great person down, but that is not to belittle what effort I expect he did to get back here.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Totally inspirational
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • So cool, what an effort that is, and far quicker than me.

I just hope someone went back up and got his wheelchair for him.