jerseys of the Tour de France

oblongomaculatus
oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
edited July 2015 in Road general
22 teams, 22 sets of team colours... Some are smart, some are horrible. Which one would you wear?

I quite like the dark and light green of Europcar, but like most it's cluttered with logos and sponsor names. Sky is less so, perhaps because with Sky Broadcasting on the front of the jerseys, they don't need any other sponsors on there. The black and turquoise looks pretty smart. The dark blue with the big green M of Movistar also works well. MTM Qhubeka is OK, except it looks like Newcastle United have somehow managed to gatecrash the tour. The worst? Tinkoff-Saxo, by a mile. Horrible, just horrible.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Watch out oblong bloke, you'll bring the anti-team wearing kit bike Nazi's out and that is a can of worms/box of weasels/cats in bags/army of rats that you don't want to release.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I'm scared now. Even though I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Aesthetically, I like the yellow jersey. It's more or less devoid of logos, with a nicely understated Arc de Triumphe if you catch it at the right angle. But you could never actually wear one, or you'd look like some deluded plonker who thinks he's leading the Tour, as he huffs and puffs his way up the breathtaking 4% gradient that is Priory Hill...
  • pinno
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Although I'm not a team kit wearer because generally I feel the logos ruin the look, I'm not against other wearing them though.

Now that's out of the way,

Favourite kit by far is IAM Cycling's followed by Cannondale and then Moviestar. I agree TS cammo kit is horrible as is the Notts county rip off MTN, special mention to AG2LR For trying brown.......and failing.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

• Thanks. I thought there was probably a thread about this somewhere. There's a fair few posts there, I've only looked at a few so far, but am beginning to see what you're getting at.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Had to have a look and can't say I like any of them.
    http://boutique.letour.fr/stores/letour/products/product_browse.aspx?category%7Ccategory_root%7C41725=shop+by+team

Not liked a team jersey since HTC-Highroad.
  • pinno
    Team HTC High Road Columbia was a cr4p kit.

My kit is better than your kit. Na na na na na.
  • yellow
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I don't like teams with a yellow back, makes it hard to spot the yellow jersey from a distance.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    The Maratona jersey this year has a bit of Sky about it, plus you get away from wearing team kit to something you've earned.

MC-Maratona-15_th.jpg
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Really like the IAM this year.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Team HTC High Road Columbia was a cr4p kit.

My kit is better than your kit. Na na na na na.

but I save it for days when I go out to draft strangers for miles, without introducing myself, and out sprinting them to the village signpost, sometimes nutting them as I pass for good measure. It's handy for that.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    First: I must nail my (non-team) colours to the mast. I like to see lots of colour and gaiety in cyclewear on our roads, but baulk slightly at the 'full team kit and matching bidon' that one sees in areas such as Richmond Park. I like team colours, but am wary of the same didease that resulted in the 90s in fat kids in Surrey wearing Manchester United shirts and owning the success of another.

However...I like the following of this year's kits: Europcar, Movistar, AG2R, Astana, Katusha, FDJ, Cofidis, Lampre.

I dislike too much yellow, for reasons given above. Yellow is somehow sacred in the TdF. Europcar get away with their green, because it is a very singular green.

I dislike Sky because I just dislike Sky. To paraphrase James Stewart in his train speech in Shenandoah, "It's not the sort of team I favour". I am anti-Murdoch and anti-Sky and just a reactionary old git. And the colours are wrong and why do they use Jaguars? Such horrid, sneering, would-be BMWs built by Tata. Why?

I dislike the kit of the team from RSA (MTN Qubeka?) because it really does look like a footie kit. But... I've been saying for years that as soon as a cycling culture is matured in East Africa, the same thing might happen to the pro-peloton as happened in distance running. Is this the dawn? Silly kit, though.

Best kit ever? In my lifetime it's La Vie Claire (any iteration). I disliked the team at the time, for being too 'pro', for pumping too much money in, for taking it all too seriously, for introducing technologies and costs that I thought inappropriate... How times change! But I always loved the team kit. I still do.

I have spoken. All other opinions are flawed and probably immoral. All dissent is absurd and unwarranted. Thread ends.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    The last team jersey I got was an early '90s yellow Once.
    My current favourite would be Moviestar but it is too dark for riding in IMO.
    Lampre is a maybe.
    On the other hand, I won't be buying any as I have more than I need and they last for ever.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Bora-Argon18 for me, plain and uncluttered, not that I wear team jersey's or any team replica gear nowadays.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I have a Kas and a PDM jersey :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I have a Kas and a PDM jersey :D
    I have PDM and Systeme-U jerseys, but I appear to have outgrown them both even though I was already an adult when I bought them. :roll:
    I've got a long-sleeve Scott one too, which tends to get worn on the winter bike, sensibly. However, that's not a Scott so it always feels so wrong :oops: .
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    currently riding in a Pink ONCE jersey but I plan to get the Tinkov Saxo Slovak Champions jersey as well.

I like the Astana one but preferred it a few year back when it included the sun, corn and eagle from the national flag as well.

Check out bobshop.de if you want to buy any
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    I love the Ag2r kit, I really like the chocolate colour shorts.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • sherer
    I love the Ag2r kit, I really like the chocolate colour shorts.
    not as good as the Carrera denim shorts though :D
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have a couple of team jerseys that I wear regularly - an Euskatel-Eskadi one and a retro TI Raleigh one. I can't imagine why anyone would think it is their business what someone else wears.
    For the record, I like the Lotto Bellisol kit this year. MTN Qubeka is hideous, as is Tinkoff Saxo, they should have kept their blue kit from a couple of years ago which was very classy IMO.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I have a Team Cake jersey from back in the day. I haven't worn it for a few years though :cry:

TeamCakeatHitTheNorth2008043.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I dont personally have a problem with team kit its like people wearing football/rugby shirts or the like. Only thing I dont like is when they were things like the yellow green or polka dot jersey, did they win get KOM on a tour stage? Very much doubt it!

Also on the jersey front saw my first rider at the weekend with a Strava jersey, never thought I'd see the day.
  • sherer
    I dont personally have a problem with team kit its like people wearing football/rugby shirts or the like. Only thing I dont like is when they were things like the yellow green or polka dot jersey, did they win get KOM on a tour stage? Very much doubt it!

Also on the jersey front saw my first rider at the weekend with a Strava jersey, never thought I'd see the day.

You could say the same about football jersey's. My Brasil top has 5 stars on it but I've never won the world cup. I've got a jersey with a Premier League champion even though I've never won that either.

If it gets someone into cycling as they want to emulate the KOM or Froome then I have no problem with that
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    IAM
    Sky (though I dislike it because it has sky as a logo it does look good)
    Movie
    OGE (I suspect that is because I like them more than a kit thing tho)

Dislike
    Giant
    Saxo
    AG2R
    MTN
    FDJ
    EQS
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanorawe
    OGE (I suspect that is because I like them more than a kit thing tho)

I do like their kit too, but I also love the team way more. Ill take backstage pass over any cycling show.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I used to like the old Liquigas-Cannondale kit. Blue on one side, green the other.

But I can't remember Boy George cycling for them

Liquigas-carries-Sagan-to-Vuelta-stage-win-9UASOEA-x-large.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • seanorawe
    Cyclists20dress20like20crap_zpshx4qbukk.jpg
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I like IAM, Lotto-Soudal and Europcar because they're simple and distinct. FDJ and Bretagne-Seche are quite good too. JumboNL would be OK if it didn't cause confusion with the yellow jersey.

MTN and Saxo are hideous. I like the AG2R jersey but brown shorts?!

I have a Liquigas jersey from a few years ago: very good for gloomy autumn evenings. My favourite from recent years was a green jersey worn by a team about three years ago but I can't remember who; one of the ProContis I think.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Of the current bunch the only one I really like is the FDJ one, but just the jersey! White bib shorts are just wrong!

The team jerseys from history that I like and wear out are La Vie Claire and St Raphael.

I'm tempted by the Cima Coppi jersey, looks very classy.