What Tyres - advice needed please

noel2015
noel2015 Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.
I am a newbie if you like. I bought a Cannondale Trail 7 29er and it came with the standard chunky Cannondale tyres on it.
Having racked up a fair few miles since bought few months ago, I am realising that around 70% of my rides are on the roads, and around 30% on my local canal towpaths.
I keep hearing that a different tyre could make a good difference, especially to my road rides.
It is a minefield though to a beginner as theres so many different tyres out there.
Can anyone offer their honest opinions on what would be the best sort of tyre for me. I would like to keep the odd canal rides going so if possible, a tyre that will A) Make my road riding faster/easier, and B) still allow me the odd ride on the canal.
I am not into hardcore trail riding or anything.
Hope you can help
Thanks
Noel

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What surface are the towpaths ? It can range from good to pretty poor.

Depending on the above, anything from a wide road tyre 35mm through a hybrid tyre or a CX tyre to a narrow MTB tyre with a faster rolling treads like a small block 8. 700c road/CX tyres will fit on a 29 er rim.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Conti Race King 29
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • noel2015
    noel2015 Posts: 3
    Thanks for replies so far.
    The tow paths are pretty good to be fair.. obviously not like tarmac, but as far as a path made of stones goes they are pretty smooth considering.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.