When can I MOT my car?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2015 in The cake stop
My MOT runs out on 1st September. I think this means I can have it retested on 1st August at the earliest?

If it fails the test does that mean I still have an MOT up to 1st September? Or do I now have a car with no MOT at all?

The reason for asking is I go away in the car on the 4th. If it fails its test I'd rather get it repaired etc when I'm back home, not before - I don't want it stuck at the garage when I need to be on the road!

Comments

• HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    You can have it tested up to a month before. If it fails you can still rely on the old MOT whilst it is current.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    You can have it tested up to a month before. If it fails you can still rely on the old MOT whilst it is current.

Correct!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    My MOT runs out on 1st September. I think this means I can have it retested on 1st August at the earliest?

If it fails the test does that mean I still have an MOT up to 1st September? Or do I now have a car with no MOT at all?

The reason for asking is I go away in the car on the 4th. If it fails its test I'd rather get it repaired etc when I'm back home, not before - I don't want it stuck at the garage when I need to be on the road!

And if it runs out, your insurance is invalid unless you are driving to the MOT test centre

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    but do bear in mind that the earlier you do it the sooner you'll have to get it done next year. The longer you leave it you get more for your money.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You can get an MOT at any time you like. It's only if it's a month before do you get your time added onto the previous year.

I once got my get MOTd about 6 months before it was due as I didn't want to do it in the winter and I had a important trip coming up.
  • lesfirth
    but do bear in mind that the earlier you do it the sooner you'll have to get it done next year. The longer you leave it you get more for your money.

Wrong!
    In the days of bits of paper,that is what we had when I ran a garage that did MOTs ,if you had a test upto one month early your new certificate would still expire 12 months from the end of your existing certificate IF you produced your existing certificate at the time of the test. The computer system used now has the facility to do the same.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    really?

good to know!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    And if it runs out, your insurance is invalid unless you are driving to the MOT test centre
    Wrong!

You don't need a MOT to have insurance. All your insurance will say is that the car needs to be roadworthy to actually be covered. No valid MOT does not mean a car is not roadworthy. A valid MOT does not mean a car is actually roadworthy. A valid MOT just means that a tester passed the car at the time it was tested. A fault could appear just after a MOT rendering a car not roadworthy and the MOT would still be valid until tested again.
  • markhewitt1978
    But that doesn't mean that it's legal to drive it on the road.
  • HertsG
    I don't recall any insurer ever refusing to pay out for the sole reason that the car has no ticket .....

Indeed, as has been pointed out, there are circumstances where the law envisages a car being driven on the road without a valid MoT (eg to and from a pre-booked MoT test). The car still must be covered by the legal minimum insurance requirements.
  • markhewitt1978
    I don't recall any insurer ever refusing to pay out for the sole reason that the car has no ticket .....

Indeed, as has been pointed out, there are circumstances where the law envisages a car being driven on the road without a valid MoT (eg to and from a pre-booked MoT test). The car still must be covered by the legal minimum insurance requirements.

Even if insurance is valid, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's legal to drive the car on the road. I have to admit I don't know if it's legal or not to drive after you've failed an MOT.
  • markhewitt1978

Even if insurance is valid, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's legal to drive the car on the road. I have to admit I don't know if it's legal or not to drive after you've failed an MOT.
  • HertsG

(There's an echo in here!)

If it is a pre-booked MoT and your car has failed, you are allowed to drive it directly (ie not via Tesco) home or to a place of repair.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    My understanding was always that without a valid MOT and tax, your car was no longer deemed roadworthy as it doesn't meet the minimum legal requirements. Saying that, I always get the car MOT'd as close to the date as possible, as you don't lose time then.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    My understanding was always that without a valid MOT and tax, your car was no longer deemed roadworthy as it doesn't meet the minimum legal requirements. Saying that, I always get the car MOT'd as close to the date as possible, as you don't lose time then.

See Wongataa above. He is correct.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As said earlier, you can MOT a car whenever you like. But if you want the new MOT to run from the expiry of the current certificate you can only do it a month in advance. If the old certificate has expired and it fails the test you can legally drive home / to a repair place and then back again for a pre-arranged retest.

If the old certificate hasn't yet expired you can still legally drive until it does. Whether you'd want to or not I suppose depends on why it's failed it's MOT. I wouldn't want to be driving around on the basis that the old MOT still had a month to run if they'd failed it because the brakes were faulty. But if they were being arsey about the number plates or something like that it wouldn't worry me.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    As said earlier, you can MOT a car whenever you like. But if you want the new MOT to run from the expiry of the current certificate you can only do it a month in advance. If the old certificate has expired and it fails the test you can legally drive home / to a repair place and then back again for a pre-arranged retest.

If the old certificate hasn't yet expired you can still legally drive until it does.
    Unless the failure means the car is unroadworthy. If the car is unroadworthy it cannot be legally driven on a public road no matter what the MOT status is.
    Whether you'd want to or not I suppose depends on why it's failed it's MOT. I wouldn't want to be driving around on the basis that the old MOT still had a month to run if they'd failed it because the brakes were faulty. But if they were being arsey about the number plates or something like that it wouldn't worry me.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I know you can drive to the MOT centre when the certificate has expired, but does it have to be the same day? ie could you drive directly to the test centre on a Thursday afternoon and leave it overnight to be tested on Friday morning?
  • lesfirth
    I know you can drive to the MOT centre when the certificate has expired, but does it have to be the same day? ie could you drive directly to the test centre on a Thursday afternoon and leave it overnight to be tested on Friday morning?

If you have made an appointment ,yes.